• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Thrills and Horror in A.I.C.O. Incarnation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
When I first read about this anime it really felt like they could have replaced the description by "generic sci fi anime". I probably unscrewed my eye balls with how hard I rolled them when I read "mysterious transfer student".

But after reading this it does seem like there's a few cool things in there... except now it's all been spoiled so I don't really feel any reason to watch it anymore. Laughing

Do those show really need high school students as protagonist? Even when I was that age myself I still liked shows where the characters where adults more than high school students. It just seem like "trained professional doing there job competently" is so much more interesting than "kids who have no idea what there doing faffing around and relying on plot armor and/or impotent threat to survive".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the visuals and animation from Bones, but the story felt rushed and incomplete. I actually liked the premise, but its 12 episodes were not enough to fully develop the concepts, characters and universe; 10-13 more episodes could have made A.I.C.O. a much better show. Still, I am glad Netflix invested money in this anime original.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Jacob wrote:
The director and main brain behind this one as far as I can tell is Kazuya Murata, best known for dreaming up Eureka Seven

I went ahead and checked Japanese encyclopedias on this, and that's not right. Tomoki Kyoda directed Eureka Seven. Murata did the first OP and directed/storyboarded a few episodes, but that's not a Murata show.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
This is the first Netflix original anime production that I liked. The story was good, the characters were likable, and the show had an impressive visual design. As for the villain he was the cliche of individual vs teamwork but he worked as a parallel for Yuya if he had taken the wrong path and tried to fix everything himself. The biggest complaint I have is that for such a nice looking show the English dub was one of the worst I have heard in the last decade. That was a surprise since Netflix has done well with dubbing their licensed shows so I don't see why they would cheap out on a dub for a show that they produced.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
As far as the show goes, I was really impressed with the writing and overall enjoyed the show, but hard scifi is tough for me, most of the time, and I found myself more often disinterested in the Proper Noun Salad, than thoroughly entertained.
I am also not a huge fan of the seeming return to old-school-anime-for-western-audiences, but I won't complain if we get more similar stuff in this vein. Strong writing and good production values get you far in my book. If they can combine it with more emotionally captivating conflicts and characters, I'll be 100% on board.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I've mostly enjoyed Netflix's sci-fi anime library lately, including less popular titles that weren't appreciated by this column in the past, so this one is another decent entry to add to the list.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I went ahead and checked Japanese encyclopedias on this, and that's not right. Tomoki Kyoda directed Eureka Seven. Murata did the first OP and directed/storyboarded a few episodes, but that's not a Murata show.

You don’t even need to go that far to find that out. Even the encyclopedia on this site lists Murata as the director of the first OP (and as episode director for 7 episodes) and Kyoda as director, as he is in all the other entries of E7.

As for the show, I enjoyed it and thought it was better written overall than B the Beginning, but it wasn’t on the same level as Crybaby. I’m glad they made it and hope to see more from both Netflix and Bones. Maybe not all in the same month though. At least they gave us ten days between Children of the Whales and Sword Gai Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Visually the show is splendid, probably one of the more polished Sci-Fi animes I’ve seen. With that said it didn’t keep my attention for too long. I’m more of a Fantasy person rather than hardcore Sci-Fi so between this and Children of the Whales, I was way more entertained and charmed by Whales.

And unfortunately to my disappointment the English dub was one of the worst I’ve heard in years, and this is coming from someone who is 100% a dub-lover. I have no idea what Netflix was thinking, but it felt like they decided to be cheap when localizing this anime because the studio they used seems to handle every other language other than English, and it shows. I never switched to subs so fast before (about 10 minutes into ep. 1)
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
So all that and yet no mention of the terrible dub? That's disappointing. I was kinda hoping to see you guys tear into it.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
So all that and yet no mention of the terrible dub? That's disappointing. I was kinda hoping to see you guys tear into it.

Same, but they may have decided to just steer clear of the dub after hearing the poor reception. If that's the case, I can't really blame them.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
the dub was handled by a studio in Miami that usually produce the some of the worst and cheapest Spanish and Portuguese dubs for the Latin American market,and most of the VAs are not even native-english speakers,who can't act for shit in their own languages to begin with.
And it's REALLY suspicious that they completely ignored talking about dub,and I think it's pretty obvious the reason...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
It’s sub only.

No, what dub? That’s crazy talk.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:06 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

You don’t even need to go that far to find that out. Even the encyclopedia on this site lists Murata as the director of the first OP (and as episode director for 7 episodes) and Kyoda as director, as he is in all the other entries of E7.

I took that extra step because I thought maybe Jacob had seen it somewhere else and it's not that uncommon for the ANN encyclopedia to be incomplete. In this case everything is in line though. I can see how Jacob got confused, but yeah, E7 is not a Murata show.

Quote:
As for the show, I enjoyed it and thought it was better written overall than B the Beginning, but it wasn’t on the same level as Crybaby. I’m glad they made it and hope to see more from both Netflix and Bones. Maybe not all in the same month though. At least they gave us ten days between Children of the Whales and Sword Gai Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Yet, here I am, still trying to finish up Children of the Whales and now being swamped by needing to catch up with end of the season shows that I fell behind on in the first place thanks to Netflix(as well as a few that I never started because I wanted to marathon them).... they need to at least spread it out!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 am Reply with quote
Weird, not sure how I made that mistake with Murata. My brain was probably overloaded at the time as I rushed to get all my notes together. Sad It's been fixed now.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
the dub was handled by a studio in Miami that usually produce the some of the worst and cheapest Spanish and Portuguese dubs for the Latin American market,and most of the VAs are not even native-english speakers,who can't act for shit in their own languages to begin with.
Well that would explain why the English dub is atrocious. The acting was bad but it was the script that made it feel like a machine translation. I hope this cheap decision was an anomaly and not a sign of what to expect from Netflix in the future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2