• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streams ReLIFE Finale OVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Relife manga was great so I am glad the finale will be animated
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I thought the original run was okay but I don't really feel like rewatching it to get up to speed on the final arc. I would have preferred to have had the whole thing at once.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I remembered really enjoying it... but the enjoyment was about all I remembered; ntricacies of the plot- not so much. So I am rewatching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see I'm not the only one around here whose memory is the pits!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Glad to finally see the conclusion. While I don’t remember everything, I think just seeing the characters again was enough to get me to remember who they are and their relationships to each other. It also helped that there were some brief flashbacks for some of the more important plot points and scenes. I saw the first two episodes of the ova so far and I haven’t felt the need to rewatch the original, not that rewatching isn’t warranted if you feel it necessary.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I really want to watch this OVA. I like the series, but the ending felt incomplete to me.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:24 pm Reply with quote
And these responses of barely remembering the intricacies of the plot is the exact problem of the binge model lol. There are several articles outlining how experiencing a series through a fire hose creates a non lasting impression and causes series to quickly fall out of the public memory but thats for another time. I'm super glad CR picked up these OVA's as the series was awesome. Too bad they couldnt have been on the original BD release though.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
It was hardly complicated. Youth pill guy A likes youth pill girl B. Crying sports girl C likes nice but dim guy D who wouldn't know it if she stripped naked & said come get some. Something something other pill poppers & questionable business plans. It's not an issue with binging. it's an issue with being yet another high school drama with a gimmicky premise as its USP.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Considering the timing of the manga ending, does this OVA wrap up the story the same way?
DLH112

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering the timing of the manga ending, does this OVA wrap up the story the same way?
pretty much yes. Though it seems to change some specifics to only reference content that was in the anime instead of stuff that was was never animated. Also the order of 2 events at the end are switched.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
And these responses of barely remembering the intricacies of the plot is the exact problem of the binge model lol. There are several articles outlining how experiencing a series through a fire hose creates a non lasting impression and causes series to quickly fall out of the public memory but thats for another time. I'm super glad CR picked up these OVA's as the series was awesome. Too bad they couldnt have been on the original BD release though.

Didn't this show air weekly on Crunchyroll though? The binge argument seems neither here nor there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:

Didn't this show air weekly on Crunchyroll though? The binge argument seems neither here nor there.

Actually all of it was streamed by CR at once after being streamed in full on an app in Japan. It was broadcast on TV in Japan shortly afterwards.

Personally, I think the amount of time since the previous season is more salient anyways, given it aired nearly 2 years ago in Summer 2016. I mean I don't think remember the intricacies of the plot of 91 Days or Orange any better than ReLIFE, for example.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:

No, ReLIFE came out all at once on CR. I was on an anime hiatus when it aired, but I remember when ReLIFE dropped because it was just such a strange thing to air it all once in an ongoing season.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I stand corrected then! Thats somewhat out of character for CR, wonder how I missed that.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

It works the opposite for me. How can you watch 20 shows a week and still remember all the intracacies of the plot just 3 months later for the finale of each of those 20 shows? That's why marathoning or watching a serialized show without having to shift your attention over to a completely diferent show and then remember details about that works to cement your memory about that single show better.

It has been shown repeatedly that single-tasking and focusing and repetition on a single subject works much better than super-multitasking (20 mins of 20 different shows a week) to lock something in memory, or develop any skill actually.

And since CR streamed the episodes of ReLife weekly as usual back then, I don't see how that helps proves your point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2