• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshitoshi ABe's Despera Anime Project Isn't Dead

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Now your gonna tell me Dreaming Machine is slated for Q4 2020.

Jokes aside, hope it can get done.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least there's still a bit of hope, I guess. I really, really hope we can see Despera someday. Abe and Konaka together were responsible of two of my favorite series ever (Lain and Texhnolyze) so having them working together again would be a dream come true for me.

And talking about Konaka (probably my favorite anime writer ever...jeez, can't believe he hasn't been involved in any single anime project this decade as far as I know...), he was also involved in a super promising project called Shishou series that was announced like 3 years ago (it even had a pv that looked dope) that most likely has been canned... does anybody know anything about it? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Well, at least there's still a bit of hope, I guess. I really, really hope we can see Despera someday. Abe and Konaka together were responsible of two of my favorite series ever (Lain and Texhnolyze) so having them working together again would be a dream come true for me.

And talking about Konaka (probably my favorite anime writer ever...jeez, can't believe he hasn't been involved in any single anime project this decade as far as I know...), he was also involved in a super promising project called Shishou series that was announced like 3 years ago (it even had a pv that looked dope) that most likely has been canned... does anybody know anything about it? Rolling Eyes

he answer here
https://twitter.com/yamaki_nyx/status/975984539561484289
https://twitter.com/yamaki_nyx/status/976028276350115840
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can find a director to rival Ryutaro Nakamura. The latest Kino's journey contrasted with the earlier series showed the value of his contributions.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
They managed to irritate me.
Chiaki call themselves "independent" but they live and die begging the system? The same "old business model" he says collapsed? They're not independent. Why are they insisting on a failed model that he says doesn't work anymore? Go search for alternatives. And the detail that he talked in english revels that he knows to have a audience in this side of the globe. Why not pitch his projects here?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Love, love, love ABe and Konaka. Hopefully this really does seem the light of day someday.

ChrissyC wrote:
Now your gonna tell me Dreaming Machine is slated for Q4 2020.

Dammit, now I'm depressed. Sad
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Chiaki call themselves "independent" but they live and die begging the system? The same "old business model" he says collapsed? They're not independent. Why are they insisting on a failed model that he says doesn't work anymore? Go search for alternatives. And the detail that he talked in english revels that he knows to have a audience in this side of the globe. Why not pitch his projects here?

I always hate this argument. It would be like listening to Warren Buffet, C. Montgomery Burns or Andrew Carnegie (G-d rest his soul), complaining that they can't compete today because of the crowd source/gig economy makes traditional finance avenues impossible.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Sounds like Yamakan-syndrome. Acts like they're revolutionary gods, actually just salty about lack of work and irrelevency

Also to be fair, I think his only audience in the west are Digimon fans who think he's the creator of Tamers.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe there are people here who don't love Konaka. Where are we
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, given all the unexpected surprises we've already had in anime this decade, hoping that this is acutally made isn't too remote though without Nakamura perhaps it is for the best...
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Chalk it to newer anime fans not watching his work since it's "old" now.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Well, given all the unexpected surprises we've already had in anime this decade, hoping that this is acutally made isn't too remote though without Nakamura perhaps it is for the best...
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

Young anime fan here: SLE was one of my first anime, and my favorite anime tends to be from 1995-2002.

I think people seem to not understand that there is a difference between what one idealizes (idealism) and what one can do (pragmatism). They need to convince enough people that money can be done, or they won't get any money. That simple. It has become that much harder to pitch an original. Also, no, there are Konaka fans in the west other than Digimon Tamers fans. I haven't even watched Digimon Tamers.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:

To be fair, the only work Konaka actually created was Ultraman Gaia, which I think is safe to say most westerners have never heard of. He just does screenplays and script work. Nakamura was actually the man in charge of creating and directing shows like Serial Experiments Lain, Kino's Journey, and Sakura Wars.

For the record, Yukio Kaizawa was the director of Digimon Tamers. He also directed Frontier and part of Xros Wars, plus plenty of other series like Gash Bell, Gegege no Kitaro 2007, and some One Piece and PreCure specials/movies.

-Stuart Smith
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Konaka's writing is really distinct and he tends to put in recurring trademarks and themes, so it's not like he's a random "writer-for-hire" just because he doesn't direct. Writing is still a huge part of the product.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

The way I see it, getting alternatives isn’t easy. Maybe he has tried to pitch his projects in the West but the western companies wanted to change certain things which he didn’t want to change. Kickstarter is there but will it really help? Yeah, there’s Little Witch Academia, but how many of those cases are there? There’s FLCL but that hasn’t come out yet so we don’t know how well it will do. I recall Under the Dog, but I think that had some trouble along the way. Feel free to add more examples and correct me if I’m wrong.

The new anime would need to get tons of support from the West and even that would probably only be enough for 1-2 episodes. And there’s still seiyuu, opening and ending themes, the OST and so much more which he wouldn’t be ablt to do alone.

Whether we like it or not, production committees are still very important for Japanese anime. Another example I can think of is Yuri!!! on Ice. Director Yamamoto Sayo pitched YOI to many studios but in the end, Mappa was the only one who accepted it and even then, she had to fight for some scenes like surprise of episode 7 and she probably wanted to show more things differently like the onsen scene in episode 1 or how Yuuri hung on to Viktor in episode 10 during the banquet. There was a lot of trouble with the animation, so many animators for one episode.

tl;dr Finding alternatives isn’t as easy as one thinks.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't compared then to schlocks like Yamakan, the dudes are chill. I remember seeing the extras of Haibane with Abe and the director that one of then had pratically worked for free, having not yet received his pay.

phoenixalia wrote:

tl;dr Finding alternatives isn’t as easy as one thinks.

I know, and for what we know Despera has little marketing appeal and if I remember right, Nakamura was thinking about making the narrative in the first person...? But the word "independent" rubbed me the wrong way.
There's a lot of talk about how the system is failed e obsolete, for years, but you don't see them (people in the industry in general) talking about solutions and actually doing something, just complaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2