• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream Devils' Line Simulcast, English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Yea it makes sense. Defintely cool news though. Will check it out.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Pretty cool to see this getting a simuldub.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
I know almost nothing about Devil's Line, but if it is an action show with decent visuals, it seems like a good choice for a dubcast. I hope Sentai and HIDIVE announce more sub simulcasts and 1-2 more dubcasts soon.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Sentai can deliver a good quality dub.

Its probably wishful thinking but Food wars third plate please? Release the first cour in one go and then start with the second cour?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Its probably wishful thinking but Food wars third plate please? Release the first cour in one go and then start with the second cour?

That is not far fetched if Sentai is going to eventually dub it and do the physical release.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
^Crunchyroll owns the Master license for Food Wars Third Plate, and they've already announced that they're streaming it, so it's probably not going to be in HiDive unless Sentai's reached some sort of agreement with CR to share streaming rights.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I know almost nothing about Devil's Line, but if it is an action show with decent visuals, it seems like a good choice for a dubcast. I hope Sentai and HIDIVE announce more sub simulcasts and 1-2 more dubcasts soon.

It’s about a half “devil” (vampire) half human guy who struggles with his humanity and falls in love with a human woman. I took a break from reading the manga but if there’s one I have to say is that to me the female MC is very weak willed and is one of biggest crybabies which I didn’t particularly like.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
^Crunchyroll owns the Master license for Food Wars Third Plate, and they've already announced that they're streaming it, so it's probably not going to be in HiDive unless Sentai's reached some sort of agreement with CR to share streaming rights.
Are you kidding me? If Crunchy/Funi change any of the VA that are used by Sentai im gonna be pissed. I hate when they get seasons that another company previous licensed...
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
It probably won’t be a Dubcast, but doesn’t Crunchyroll have the master license to Haikyu, and isn’t that dub streaming on HIDIVE.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
lossthief wrote:
It probably won’t be a Dubcast, but doesn’t Crunchyroll have the master license to Haikyu, and isn’t that dub streaming on HIDIVE.

CR only has the master license to season three. Sentai has the master license to the first two seasons. They were obviously able to work out a deal for season three, as Sentai got home video and some streaming rights for it.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Its a dream that I don't really expect but I really hope Sentai gets Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory with a broadcast dub. I'd prefer Sentai over FUNimation since it wouldn't be as difficult as FUNimation trying to return the actors. Yes they did for Second Raid but that was a different situation & time. Broadcast dubs using actors from other locations can run into problems as seen in Tales of Zestiria broadcast dub where various roles including the main character were replaced with another actor in a few episodes because obviously there was a time issue(I assume they fixed this on the blu-ray release?).
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Its a dream that I don't really expect but I really hope Sentai gets Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory with a broadcast dub. I'd prefer Sentai over FUNimation since it wouldn't be as difficult as FUNimation trying to return the actors. Yes they did for Second Raid but that was a different situation & time. Broadcast dubs using actors from other locations can run into problems as seen in Tales of Zestiria broadcast dub where various roles including the main character were replaced with another actor in a few episodes because obviously there was a time issue(I assume they fixed this on the blu-ray release?).

It wasn't a timing issue the voice actor had lost his voice for a few weeks so they had someone fill in for him. It happens in Japan as well from time to time.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

It wasn't a timing issue the voice actor had lost his voice for a few weeks so they had someone fill in for him. It happens in Japan as well from time to time.

All I read was, "In the simuldub versions, due to availability issues Bryce Papenbrook and Aaron Dismuke fill in for Robbie Daymond and Michael Johnston in select episodes". Which sounds like a time issue to me. I just think FUNimation outsourcing a simuldub is maybe something they have less control & flexibly over compared to in house but I don't know if that would've made any difference. Regardless I'd rather just Sentai dub & simuldub FMP(if it even happens), its just preferred that the studio where the actors are involved with get the show.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 am Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

It’s about a half “devil” (vampire) half human guy who struggles with his humanity and falls in love with a human woman. I took a break from reading the manga but if there’s one I have to say is that to me the female MC is very weak willed and is one of biggest crybabies which I didn’t particularly like.

I don't know where you stopped reading, but I've read through volume 9 of the manga and I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. She definitely levels up in determination as the series goes on. I always felt hers was a case of "normal human dealing with supernatural/well trained threats." Compared to other characters she's weak physically, for sure, but she is smart--just takes a while for her to adjust to the situation (if anything, her will is so strong she sometimes puts herself in danger. Don't want to go into details because spoilers).

In any case, it's a good story. As much a cops vs. terrorists story as a vampire one. If the adaptation is good I might have to subscribe to HiDive.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

It’s important to remember that Funimation had nothing to do with the dub. It was produced by ADV for Kadokawa Pictures USA, who actually held the license at the time. Initially Funimation was only the distributor, and that’s why the original disks included previews for The Third:The Girl with the Blue Eye.

Most of the actors shouldn’t be a problem, whether Funimation or Sentai would end up dubbing it. However, Hilary Haag could be, as she doesn’t act full time, has a child now, and hasn’t done a role at Funimation in over a decade now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1