• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A.I.C.O. -Incarnation-

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
I said it before on the previous review, but I really hope that cheapo dubs aren't a common thing for Netflix going forward if it is going to get as heavily involved in anime as it says. They've had good results with LA studios, and anime fans don't have to look hard for good dubs elsewhere. We've seen other big companies make the mistake of assuming that anime fans won't notice or care when they cut corners to save costs, and it hasn't worked out.

I'm willing to give Netflix the benefit of the doubt since, like I said, they've had good results before, and I would think they are more savvy about looking at comments and reviews than other companies.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
I was really looking forward to this one, but the dub was so bad that I stopped watching after the first episode. I've been thinking about going back and trying to watch it in the Japanese, but as someone who greatly prefers to watch things in my native language, it's personally hard to justify not watching the dub when one's available, even when said dub is objectively awful.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
AICO Incarnation is the first Netflix original anime production that I liked and the animation quality, character development, and story were good. The biggest weakness is the English dub which is horrible to the point where it might be the worst anime dub I have heard in the last decade. Netflix can be cheap like any company and this does make me wonder about their future anime productions.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I said it before on the previous review, but I really hope that cheapo dubs aren't a common thing for Netflix going forward if it is going to get as heavily involved in anime as it says. They've had good results with LA studios, and anime fans don't have to look hard for good dubs elsewhere. We've seen other big companies make the mistake of assuming that anime fans won't notice or care when they cut corners to save costs, and it hasn't worked out.

I'm willing to give Netflix the benefit of the doubt since, like I said, they've had good results before, and I would think they are more savvy about looking at comments and reviews than other companies.

All of Netflix's anime dubs have been cheap non-union productions. It's just that this time their penny pinching got them heat.
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
4th'd. I'm a dub fan but I bailed on this before the first episode was over, right after they kept calling him "Kanazki-kan"
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of when Geneon and Bandai tried outsourcing dubs to Odex. Poor Fantastic Children and Zipang deserved better.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Reminds me of when Geneon and Bandai tried outsourcing dubs to Odex. Poor Fantastic Children and Zipang deserved better.

Karin as well. At least in my opinion, that dub got slightly better over time.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show and hope that one of the home video companies (Viz, Sentai, Funi) get the Blu-ray rights and commission their own higher quality dub later on. Unlikely, I'm sure, but that would be nice. It deserves better.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Shar Aznabull wrote:

Karin as well. At least in my opinion, that dub got slightly better over time.

Fantastic Children and Zipang are two entirely different levels of bad when it comes to English dubs. FC has one of the worst I've ever heard for anime, while Zipang at least tried, so I'd put it more in the "tolerable even though not good" realm. That's also where I'd put Karin.

And yes, Odex Pte. Ltd. was the dubbing studio that also first came to mind when I heard this dub, though we also can't forget about Arventil Media Group (the company behind the epically-awful Green Green dub). I'd be a little surprised if Iyuno Media Group doesn't have some connection to one of those two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

All of Netflix's anime dubs have been cheap non-union productions. It's just that this time their penny pinching got them heat.

What are you talking about? Almost all anime dubs ever made have non-union productions. Funimation, Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, NYAV, Ocean Group, and many more are usually non-union productions. Most of Netflix's dubs have been done by Bang Zoom, which is definitely not a cheap non-union production.. It's them using a company that has never dubbed anime before and using many voice actors where english is not their native tongue caused most of the heat.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
If 4Kids (under that name) was still going strong, would it have been worse if they dubbed this show, even no censorship was done?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Primus wrote:

What are you talking about? Almost all anime dubs ever made have non-union productions. Funimation, Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, NYAV, Ocean Group, and many more are usually non-union productions. Most of Netflix's dubs have been done by Bang Zoom, which is definitely not a cheap non-union production.. It's them using a company that has never dubbed anime before and using many voice actors where english is not their native tongue caused most of the heat.

Actually, Ocean is technically union as the actors (and company) are part of the overall Canadian union that covers Vancouver, Toronto and (I think, could be wrong here) Montreal's pool of actors, both on-camera and voice over. So I think you mean Blue Water, which actually is non-union. Studiopolis too with the LA union. Bang Zoom and NYAV stride the line between Union and Non-Union at times (though usually falls into the latter). Funimation's also mixed, depending on project.

So it's not always non-union when it comes to dubs. The majority maybe, but not all of them, and certainly not any Canadian one.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And yes, Odex Pte. Ltd. was the dubbing studio that also first came to mind when I heard this dub, though we also can't forget about Arventil Media Group (the company behind the epically-awful Green Green dub).

What was especially bad about Arvintel was that they actually got a hold of some *REALLY* good actors. It was just the direction that was awful.

Stephanie Sheh, Cindy Robinson, Erin Fitzgerald, Bryce Papenbrook, Doug Erholz, and Ethan Murray are just a few of the really talented people who have all starred in Arvintel dubs, and pretty much all sounded terrible because Ruben Arvisu is a cheap, talentless hack.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
Primus wrote:

As Phil has stated, Ocean's dubs are unionized under ACTRA. Even Blue Water's dubs are, though under a far less reputable group (CLAC) that pays less. That's why you rarely see Canadian anime dubs anymore for things that aren't children's shows with TV deals. The average anime distributor is too cheap to afford them, which is why two of the largest companies have their own recording studios based in a right-to-work state.

I brought that up because Netfix isn't your average anime distributor. When they pick up a show, it's dropping in over 100 countries guaranteed and English isn't a niche language for them. They can certainly afford to spend more. Instead, probably because it's a one stop no stress turnkey solution, Netflix likes to use these multi-lingual localization houses (SDI Media, Iyuno, BTI) to do all the foreign versions of a show on the cheap.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
these guys are not bad just doing English VOs,they are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to produce Spanish and Portuguese dubs for the Latin American market.They have worked in cartoons like South Park,shows like The Crown and Fear The Walking Dead,and anime like Soul Hunter(the first one),Gintama,Glitter Force and Blue Dragon(the Brazillian dub of Blue Dragon is REALLY infamous in particular...)
These guys can't act for shit in their own native language,let alone in their second ones...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2