• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 6 Manga in ARIA Magazine to Feature 'Climax' in Final Issue on April 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Will ARIA finally get revamped as a web manga magazine?

I'm saddened to see fantasy shoujo-focused manga magazines slowly fade away starting with Media Works' Comic Sylph and I'm worried about the uncertain future of it. Besides Hana to Yume which is already the premier shoujo manga magazine with high variety of explored themes, most magazines of that type deserved more recognition than the average mainstream shoujo magazine that usually run at least 5 to 10 conceptual Boys over Flowers clones such as Margaret and ShoComi.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm sad cause it was Aria who published all the K manga spinoffs and the art was so pretty. Sad
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
TarutoClown93 wrote:
Will ARIA finally get revamped as a web manga magazine?

I'm saddened to see fantasy shoujo-focused manga magazines slowly fade away starting with Media Works' Comic Sylph and I'm worried about the uncertain future of it. Besides Hana to Yume which is already the premier shoujo manga magazine with high variety of explored themes, most magazines of that type deserved more recognition than the average mainstream shoujo magazine that usually run at least 5 to 10 conceptual Boys over Flowers clones such as Margaret and ShoComi.

I certainly hope it does. I'm not that big of a fan of Aria manga but it had some different shoujo which you certainly don't see in magazines like Sho-Comi or Betsuma.

I'm seriously worried about Kadowaka's Asuka at the moment because iirc its print numbers are also way down which is a darn shame because you get good stuff there too which isn't just your usual Cinderella school life shoujo with the "school prince who's great at sports, great at studies and has a great personality".

Not that there's anything wrong with school life shoujo (though lately I've gotten very picky with them because I've become a shoujo granny before my time) but it pains me to see even run-of-the-mill stuff usually sell better than a really good adventure fantasy. Even Akatsuki no Yona (Yona of the Dawn) from Hana to Yume didn't sell that great and I believe it only got an anime because it was in a magazine like Hana to Yume itself.

Minami Maki's new series Pin Pon Rush is only alive right now because it's in Betsuhana as it sells very, very poorly in Japan which again is a shame because it takes on the quiz theme well and the male leads are great in their own ways.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1