• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss, Armed Girl's Machiavellism English Dubs, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Announ

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
Really hoping Made in Abyss gets a limited / premium edition!
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
The problem is that there will be people who purposely pick up this set to price gouge it, no matter how expensive it is!
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:54 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Thanks for being the voice of reason.

*looks up Japan prices* yeah Im still a bit urked but at least this ain't well over 1500 dollars or spread out in 20 standard reissue volumes. I could've pre ordered in an instant if I didn't spend on upgrades for my cpu and motherboard beforehand.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I’d be willing to drop 300-400 dollars on a set but 800$ ?! That’s outrageous. I can’t justify spending almost a thousand dollars on anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Just an announcement, I had taken it for granted that it would be dubbed, that I completely forgotten it hadn't been announced yet. So I saw this and thought it was a dub cast or trailer video.
angelmcazares wrote:
I am guessing the announcement of a dub for Princess Principal will be made at a future con; I would be shocked if it does not get an English dub.
Yeah I can easily see; Luci, Emily, Hilary, Alison and maybe Jad or Tiffany doing the main cast.
denzelcrocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
At last! I've been waiting for the Made In Abyss english dub! Very Happy
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
As someone who really wanted to own LoGH on physical media so I could share it and get other people into it, screw that. Especially if there's no standard release. Books it is.

Especially since that doesn't take into consideration CAD to USD.

getchman wrote:
Blankslate wrote:
So I'm guessing the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes is going undubbed? It's a shame, but understandable considering it's over a 100 episodes long and has niche appeal.

No music and effects track, so a dub is impossible
https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979731151844716544

Link related, test dub but still counts.
https://youtu.be/AH_UalbaFmQ

EDIT: Looks like they don't even ship to Canada. I'm getting flashbacks to the Black Rock Shooter PSP game NISA released in the US only after sitting on it for years.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am guessing the announcement of a dub for Princess Principal will be made at a future con; I would be shocked if it does not get an English dub.

Is Sentai also at Sakura-con? Maybe we’ll get an announcement later in the day. Or maybe not until ACen in May. At any rate, sure, PriPri seems like a slam-dunk for a Sentai dub. I’d be up for that too.
Quote:
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Yeah, I don’t have a dog in this fight, except to note that I paid over $200 for only 12 episodes of Madoka Magica, and with Legend of the Galactic Heroes you’re looking at like 160 episodes, plus 3 movies.

As the earlier post said, $600 would be a ballpark number for this many episodes in a standard edition, if you figure one-cour shows are coming out at like $60 MSRP. In fact, $600 might be low. Divvied into 13-episode cours, my math here — (160/13) * 60 — comes out to $738, and doesn’t even account for the movies. No wonder there’s no standard edition: arguably, this is the standard edition by episode price, just in a nicer package and a limited production run.

Honestly, it’s kind of wild how LoGH went from this impossible-to-get thing advocated by a tiny group of fans to practically being the flagship title of HIDIVE. Good job by the fans for keeping the faith all these years. Now I imagine the Five Star Stories fans are hoping for their day in the sun someday.
xchampion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm actually laughing at all these posts. You can complain all you want about pricing, but the bottom line is there are enough schmucks out there that will easily buy this set. It's just like aniplex. If people are buying the sets then why change the prices. Its simple economics and Sentai is actually pretty smart in doing this. I just can't get mad at the hustle.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
This is a ridiculously limited print run for a show that far more people want to purchase. It is depressing.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Absolutely dumb. As a broke college student there's no way I can save up 800 dollars by July and by the time I can scrounge up the cash it's likely going to be out of stock.

I'll wait and hope for a standard edition down the line that will be in stock long enough for me to save for. Otherwise I'll just read the novels. Streaming can go to hell.
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Disappointing for the fans of LOGH who've been waiting 3 years for news of a physical release. It is reasonable for what you get and Sentai LEs are always quality items, but only releasing 1,000 copies is really low. Though I guess it's a good way to get people to sign up for HIDIVE if they want to watch it. They just really need to develop a console app.

I was looking forward to seeing some Princess Principal news, but if not now then we at least have more conventions coming up. I'm just hoping it gets a limited edition release.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sigh...time to start saving, I guess.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
I can see multiple possibilities as to why Sentai waited so long for this release now.

1. The Japanese company demanded that the show only is released in this $800 box set, and Sentai tried their best to get them to be reasonable, alas with no success. Or possibly, the licensor was asking for the box set to be even more, and Sentai negotiated down to $800.
2. Sentai wanted to test the market for the show via HIDIVE streaming before releasing it. The streaming numbers weren't as promising as they wanted - as such, if they wanted to make money back on the show, this was the only viable release option.

From here, I can see multiple things happening.

1. The $800 box set does not sell out for a long period of time and sits in Sentai's store for months (possibly years). Sentai slashes the price; however, a standard edition will likely never be released in this reality.
2. The $800 box set sells out quickly. Sentai sees the potential for profit in the show was more than they had estimated and schedules standard releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
While that price isn't bad for how big the series is, I'd rather have gradually gotten it in chunks rather than one go. Looks like I won't ever own this unless there's somehow another release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7