• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss, Armed Girl's Machiavellism English Dubs, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Announ

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
All this negativity toward the price of the LotGH set is breaking my anime fan heart a little. People have been pleading for a physical release for decades, and now that it is here $5 per episode is extortion. No company should charge less than $500 for these many episodes. Anime is a business, not charity.

The price is fair. But having the item US exclusive is pretty bullshit and a terrible practice.

Also releasing a huge box set like that is a bad idea imo. They really should've done a split release.
marylin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
All this negativity toward the price of the LotGH set is breaking my anime fan heart a little. People have been pleading for a physical release for decades, and now that it is here $5 per episode is extortion. No company should charge less than $500 for these many episodes. Anime is a business, not charity.

Are you also aware about the limited release, shop exclusive and no international shipping? The price point only part of the problem.

Also I just want the main OVA the 110ep. I can certainly do without the collectibles, movies and gaiden. What Sentai done here is to capitalize too much on the niche of the title by making it even more niche in english market. Surely this is not a charity but a bad business.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
While that price isn't bad for how big the series is, I'd rather have gradually gotten it in chunks rather than one go. Looks like I won't ever own this unless there's somehow another release.

My thoughts exactly. I would much, much prefer small chunks over a period of time. I could only afford that if I bought nothing extraneous (like multiple meals) until July. Way to give us such a disappointing announcement, Sentai. I've been looking forward to this since 2015's licensing deal, and now it may as well not be licensed at all. :/
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Having bought Japanese releases over two decades, the price doesn't make me flinch. But how is Sentai's translation/subs for the series? Some of their efforts have been iffy.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
How the hell is it that in the year 2018, Japanese production companies have apparently still not grasped that the western home video market is vastly different from their own?
Well the price is lower than Aniplex USA but it is a bit expensive since most shows are 4 dollars an episode for a dub release while LoGH is 5 dollars an episode for a sub only release. What makes it jaw dropping is putting 162 episodes into a single product and an $800 MSRP is not a price you normally see for a Blu-ray bundle.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm sure they're frightened of possible sales numbers on just a standard bluray set, but I have a question here, and it is simply: How are sales of Viz's sales of the novel series doing? While I know realistically I won't get around to reading them any time soon, I am doing my damndest to make sure I buy every one of them just to show support for the series. I'm surely not the only one and odds are, these are the exact same people who would flock to more affordable standard sets for the anime. For a few years now, the novels were our only way to support the series and have a physical edition of it and I know a lot of us bought it just so they would keep publishing them (hopefully they will get the last few vols, I only see up to 8 on Amazon right now) and as a way to say "we want this". Considering that we are talking about a 30 year-old space opera novel series with basically no manga-style pics in it, if it's selling well enough to keep going, there's no way standard edition blurays wouldn't sell well enough. (And yes, I'm sure the novels have an additional audience with people who don't know about or watch anime in general but just like space opera novel epics, but still, I'm thinking/hoping it's selling well enough with anime fans too).
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Having bought Japanese releases over two decades, the price doesn't make me flinch. But how is Sentai's translation/subs for the series? Some of their efforts have been iffy.

I may be wrong here, but my understanding was that an English translation for the series already existed via the original licensor (they had Sam Pinansky working on it at some point I thought...).
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Considering the volume of content, I think it's a fair price, but having said that, it's too much for me to drop all at once on a series I've never seen. Not a fan of the odd shape of the box set either.

Considering how far sentai's premium sets drop in price during their holiday sale it'd also be quite annoying see it for even 10 or 20% off in a few months after release if it doesn't sell out like their other sets have done.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I may be wrong here, but my understanding was that an English translation for the series already existed via the original licensor (they had Sam Pinansky working on it at some point I thought...).

If Sam worked on it, that's reassuring.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, this explains why despite having the license for over three years now, Sentai hasn't been releasing it up until now. I'm not one of Galactic Heroes' biggest fans but I really did want to own it as an important and ambitious milestone of the anime medium. Never mind that plan now. At least, Made in Abyss will be obtainable.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Any change there is an Australian or UK release of the series? They generally have no limitations on shipping overseas since there is no restrictions
from the Japanese licensors.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering the volume of content, I think it's a fair price, but having said that, it's too much for me to drop all at once on a series I've never seen. Not a fan of the odd shape of the box set either.

Considering how far sentai's premium sets drop in price during their holiday sale it'd also be quite annoying see it for even 10 or 20% off in a few months after release if it doesn't sell out like their other sets have done.
It depends on how much the fandom wants to pay to get LOTGH, Uftable super expensive Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 2014 blu-rays are still in print, and they cost $180, although they say Limited Edition as well. I imported from the UK and the DVDs were much cheaper, but the UK blu-ray is out of print for part 1 but not part 2.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Any change there is an Australian or UK release of the series? They generally have no limitations on shipping overseas since there is no restrictions

Nothing yet. However, it appears that Sentai has streaming rights for all English language territories, and physical rights are often included with those. I’m guessing if Hannabee or Animatsu wants them, they would probably need to sublicense them from Sentai.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

An Australian/UK release wouldn't be profitable due to OFLC/BBFC fees. It'd cost Anime Limited a whopping £33372.12 ($46,831.43) just to get the entire series + movies rated by the BBFC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series will be released in a limited-edition box set that will include every original video anime episode, all three anime films, collectible metal coins, a 200-page art book, and two 3D art cards. The limited edition will be limited to 1,000 copies and retail for US$799.

:::clutches chest::: I'm com'in Elizabeth! I'm com'in!

Errr, I think I will wait for the standard edition. There will be one, right? RIGHT?!?!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7