• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss, Armed Girl's Machiavellism English Dubs, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Announ

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marylin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So, I'm sure they're frightened of possible sales numbers on just a standard bluray set, but I have a question here, and it is simply: How are sales of Viz's sales of the novel series doing? While I know realistically I won't get around to reading them any time soon, I am doing my damndest to make sure I buy every one of them just to show support for the series. I'm surely not the only one and odds are, these are the exact same people who would flock to more affordable standard sets for the anime. For a few years now, the novels were our only way to support the series and have a physical edition of it and I know a lot of us bought it just so they would keep publishing them (hopefully they will get the last few vols, I only see up to 8 on Amazon right now) and as a way to say "we want this". Considering that we are talking about a 30 year-old space opera novel series with basically no manga-style pics in it, if it's selling well enough to keep going, there's no way standard edition blurays wouldn't sell well enough. (And yes, I'm sure the novels have an additional audience with people who don't know about or watch anime in general but just like space opera novel epics, but still, I'm thinking/hoping it's selling well enough with anime fans too).

Viz imprint Haikasoru working on the novel. Unfortunately the reception is damper in each release since they had to stretch their after the initial 2 months gap each vols (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/10/02/haikasoru-outlines-next-two-years-of-legend-of-galactic-heroes-novel-publication-plans). I wouldn't blame the fans for the lack of reception, as someone who owns the book the translation flaw and editorial mistakes can be irritated especially QA hasn't improve since the first vol.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:

$800,000 in sales will make for a tidy margin.

Not necessarily. That will depend on how much the license cost them, and whatever cut of the revenue goes back to Japan. Both of which are details that we will never know.
Saito?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I cannot do $800 in one fell swoop, $800 over several box sets with a staggered release schedule over the course of a year sure. Sorry Sentai, you lost my business on this one and I love space opera. Also, that 1000 print run guarantees the 2nd hand market is going to be absolutely insane!
accaris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I don't care about the price. It's the availability that pisses me off. I could save up $800 for this by June, but preorders will probably be gone by the end of this weekend. Only 1000 people can own the series? Guess the company hates LotGH fans. I've bought plenty of stuff from Sentai before, but I won't be supporting them after this. They lost a customer, and no, I'm not paying them a dime to stream this show.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Less the quantity, the more expensive it gets... it makes sense. After seeing the price of Japanese blu-ray edition, the U.S. Collector's box set being $800 is not too surprising to me because how many young people are willing to spend $200-$300 for old school anime like this in blu-ray? If 1000 people are hardcore enough to spend $800 for this, then good them for being loyal fan. Of course I have a feeling that scalper will buy a copy or two and try to sell it in high price...

People can curse its high price and low quantity, but the quiet fans who keep collector's market going.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, if there's one series I could see justifying a mega CE like this one, it's LOGH. Not gonna get it personally because I have priorities, but whatever. They really should release a cheaper, standard edition because while it can be streamed on HIDIVE a lot of people want physical media.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dragonrider_cody”]Immoral? Really? Are some people so entitled that they feel charging a premium price for a product is now immoral? To be “moral”, do they need to give it away for free? Should we force everyone to work for free then too? And is it really moral to tell people what they should feel okay spending their money on? Why give someone grief over buying a Bluray set that they really want?[/quote]

It sets a bad example, giving these wealthy Japanese executives cart blanch to charge any inflated price they want for a 20+ year old show. I’m not saying that no one should pay to have LoGH on discs, but this is just offensively greedy. And the people who support these releases are ruining it for everyone else.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Sentai has some competition...there's a 21-disc complete Blu-ray bootleg set of LotGH w/English subs going on auction sites right now for $220. (It doesn't have any blatant Malaysian stickers or anything, so I'm sure some people might buy it thinking it's legit.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ickybicky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:26 pm Reply with quote
A lot of my friends and coworkers are LOGH fans. We’re mostly in our 30s/40s and have tech jobs so I wouldn’t find it strange if any of them dropped the cash for this release. Maybe they think that since the fans of this show are older than usual, they can sell the whole run at this price. Shocked

All it takes is 1000 I guess, but I dont know why they limit it to the US. I thought Canada coud be included at least
Sad
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 am Reply with quote
This latest news about LOTGH really pisses me off Evil or Very Mad I was so excited when Sentai announced that they licensed it and was prepared to spend a good amount of money on it. But $800 just sounds absurd.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:18 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
There are no plans for a standard edition.

Sentai can piss right off. This is why people still pirate!
Wait, I thought piracy was a service problem, not a pricing problem. Has cult-of-personality leader Gabe Newell been lying to us all this time?

For those comparing this to Aniplex pricing: AoA's Garden of Sinners BD sets were 4 to 5 times as expensive as this one, if you look at price-to-runtime ratios.

People have been complaining about 26-episode series being broken up into 13-episode sets for years now (because apparently the shift from 5-7 volumes with 3-5 eps apiece simply wasn't good enough!), so maybe Sentai is just catering to those preferences in a big way with LOGH.

penguintruth wrote:

It sets a bad example, giving these wealthy Japanese executives cart blanch to charge any inflated price they want for a 20+ year old show.
Are older shows inherently worth less than newer shows or something?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:29 am Reply with quote
First of all as a collector I dont mind dropping cash on what i want.

That said, those using some nonesencial argument of msrp and episode count are out of touch. Nobody pays MSRP or "retail" for anime. Its either discounted right off the bat on Rightstuf, or through amazon and price matching the price quickly drops on most sets into the 30-40 dollar range. 30 for 12 episodes is a lot closer to the reality of what they retail for on the actual market, so the actual price of this set should be closer to 370-380. Even if you want to throw in a premium because its a limited edition it would still be well below 800.

Id pay 800 , but for a Urusei Yatsura set or something like that, but for a show that more of a novelty than anything its a bit much. That said I might still buy just for collector's sake. But honestly 1,000 copies is way to high of a print run to justify that price (its not even that rare).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder that baring the 3 films, the other 150 LOGH episodes are standard definition not HD. So you're splurging 7xx $ for dvd quality episodes nice they may be.
As for the MSRP what "exlusive" and "full price" don't you understand CrownKlown ? There is only 1 place where you can buy this set and it's gonna cost you 800$. Full price.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Id pay 800 , but for a Urusei Yatsura set or something like that, but for a show that more of a novelty than anything its a bit much. That said I might still buy just for collector's sake. But honestly 1,000 copies is way to high of a print run to justify that price (its not even that rare).

A 1000 copies is probably the lowest print run they can do, unless they would intentionally order extra discs and then have them destroyed. Most anime LE’s have runs that are at least three to five times that large.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
[quote="dragonrider_cody”]Immoral? Really? Are some people so entitled that they feel charging a premium price for a product is now immoral? To be “moral”, do they need to give it away for free? Should we force everyone to work for free then too? And is it really moral to tell people what they should feel okay spending their money on? Why give someone grief over buying a Bluray set that they really want?

It sets a bad example, giving these wealthy Japanese executives cart blanch to charge any inflated price they want for a 20+ year old show. I’m not saying that no one should pay to have LoGH on discs, but this is just offensively greedy. And the people who support these releases are ruining it for everyone else.[/quote]

Because no one releasing it at all in the West was doing such a great job at making the show available for a reasonable price here. And it’s not like we don’t have already have two Japanese publishers who have set up shop here and are charging even higher dollar amounts per episode. Oh wait...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7