• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Spring 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shterraarson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the obvious My Hero S3, Steins;Gate 0, Persona 5, Tokyo Ghoul Re:, and Full Metal Panic

I've heard nothing but good things about Golden Kamuy so I'm very interested in that one. Hisone to Masotan looks kinda awesome. Like How To Train Your Dragon-Fighter Jet. Wotakoi: Love is Hard for An Otaku looks adorable and will hopefully fill the MMO Junkie void in my heart. And yaaaaay it's on Amazon!! /sarcasm. Anime cry Anime cry Amanchu!! Advance because it's adorable and perfect timing with ARIA getting licensed rescued.

Others I'm curious about:
Tada Never Falls In Love
Caligula
Hinamatsuri
The Piano Forest
Afterlife Cooking this plus Hozuki should supply plenty of yokai shenanigans for the season.

Megalo Box looks especially amazing. Although I have a sinking feeling it too will be an Amazon exclusive. HOPING very much to be wrong.

Anime I Don't Wanna Have to Explain to My Parents or Anyone Else:
Uma Musume: Pretty Derby
HolyR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy is one of the most impressive manga I've ever read, I hope the show's just as rad!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Sword art online spinoff is also something I'm looking forward to since it's got a different and better writer, and hopefully won't be as disappointing as it's predecessors, since the concept was always great, just not the execution.

Interesting, I tend to have the opposite take with SAO stuff. I find them well executed and quite entertaining, but with a lot of scenes that make sense in the moment yet don't when you step back and think about them. Strategic but not tactical. Much like the Star Wars series in that way. It doesn't make them not enjoyable or well done, though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to Cutie Honey
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I've gone real quick through Anichart and got my results, greens being shows I'll watch from the start and yellow shows I'm interested in and might pick up if word of mouth is good.

Can't say I'm particularly anticipating anything other than HeroAca, though.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has played the Stein's Gate Zero VN, I have no idea how you adapt it into an anime, given that unlike the first Stein's Gate where any branching just led straight to a different ending that was largely unnecessary for the true end, Zero was incredibly non linear, with many of the different endings including vital info you wouldn't get other wise, and the ending you need to get to unlock the true end plays out on an entirely different branch of the storyline
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm picky with my shows, some seasons go by with nothing that interests me. This season the only thing I am interested in is Uma Musume: Pretty Derby. It's not my type of show at all as I tend to skew more towards fantasy/supernatural, but the anime has become a bit of running gag on my horse racing blog with my followers. So I think I owe it to the show to at least give it a shot and watch the incoming horse racing train wreck. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy and My Hero Academia S3 are my most anticipated, though the former has me worried that they're going to rush stuff with it apparently only being 12 episodes. I'm tired of seeing Young Jump series getting bad adaptations(Terra Formars, Kingdom, Tokyo Ghoul) so I really hope Golden Kamuy doesn't follow suit.

Speaking of Tokyo Ghoul, Root A was mostly anime original bullcrap that ignored the mangaka's own story, so while Re is going to have to most likely retcon stuff to try and have things make sense, it's still Pierrot at the end of the day, so I'm not expecting much. But yeah, lets not blame the manga for the anime's mistakes.

Lastly, my expectations for Steins Gate 0 are pretty low. The staff change alone with the director and apparently script writer is more than enough to make me skeptical. Even if they were working on the project I just can't see it living up to what the original story was able to accomplish. Plus the original had a very satisfying ending, so I was already content with not getting anymore of the story.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I’m looking forward to Gegege no Kitaro, Gurazeni, Pazudora, Butt Detective, Captain Tsubasa, and Golden Kamuy.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Nick Creamer wrote:
But Academia already took the safe pick slot, so instead I want to highlight Tada Doesn't Fall in Love, which could either fall on its face or be my favorite show of the year. Tada's not-so-secret weapon is its director Mitsue Yamazaki, who directed some of the most compelling episodes of Mawaru Penguindrum before turning her Ikuhara-honed skills to the very different, equally excellent Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun. Nozaki-kun possessed an ear for comedy and character voice that put it head and shoulders above most high school comedies, and I'm eager to see its director handle a fully original production of her own

Not only the director but Tada also has the same lead writer and character designer/chief animation director as Nozaki-kun, among other staff. I'm definitely looking forward to another show by the same team as Nozaki-kun, even if I would have liked another season of Nozaki-kun.

I'm also looking forward to MHA 3, Persona 5 and Hisone to Masotan, and I'm hoping Steins Gate 0 and Tokyo Ghoul:re go better than Jacob expects, though looking at the staff again, I may have wanted to change my previous votes to some shows I could anticipate with less reservations.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
So I just wanna start off by saying that I'm in trouble this season...I am picking up 23 new shows and carrying over another 5... With a full time job and a (cat) family, I don't know when I'll do all this, but I'm ready for a super challenge (It'll get me prepped for the insanity coming this Summer!).

I am most looking forwards to new seasons of old, so: Steins;Gate 0, Tokyo Ghoul:re, High School DxD Hero, and Sword Art Online: Gun Gale Alternative. (Shokugeki no Soma I'm coming for you...I wrote off the series after the first two overly-heavy (for me) episodes of fanservice/ecchi episodes of season 1 the first time over, but I very recently gave it another chance and ended up binge watching all of the first season in a day, so I want to catch up in time to watch this one as it airs! I need more of my Polar Star crew! Isshiki-senpai! <3 ).

I am also really looking forwards to the following: Golden Kamuy, Persona 5, and Juushinki Pandora. And I gotta say...Magical Girl Ore is ridiculously hilarious...that will be a fun filler for the deeper shows!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
For those interested in the remake of Gegege no Kitaro, I suggest tracking down the 2008 noitaminA show Hakaba Kitarou which was described as more faithful to the original manga franchise than the Gegege spinoff which was aimed more at kids.

Overall this season is full of remakes and sequels for shows that did not interest me originally.
I'm most interested in Golden Kamuy since that's a period and setting that rarely appears in anime. Cutie Honey Universe might be worth a look, but I wonder if it will be tamer than the original.

Other possibilities:
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii (hope it's better than Net-juu no Susume)
Comic Girls (cute women doing cute things, or more like Shirobako?)
Juushinki Pandora (anime-original from Satelight caught my attention)
Ladyspo (the art looks interesting, but who knows what it's about?)
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
At last count there were 21 Spring 2018 shows I was planning to check out, more than I've ever had in one season. In contrast, the most I've ever had before this was 16 (Spring 2017), but last season (Winter 2018) I only had 8. Where I'm going to find the time to watch all of those shows I haven't the faintest idea, but I will give it a try.

My most anticipated are:
Steins;Gate 0 - The original Steins;Gate is on my all-time favorites list, so there's no way I'm not going to check this series out. I'm encouraged that the VN its based on has been very well received, so the potential is definitely there for it to be at least close to the original S;G in terms of quality. Keeping fingers cross that this won't be a colossal disappointment.

Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory - A new FMP series was just about the last thing I expected, considering how long its been since the last one. Even better, its a continuation of the original instead of a reboot, which is what I dreaded when word that a new series was in the works first came out. Another series with high hopes.

Tokyo Ghoul:Re - I liked the original and am looking forward to this new entry in the series. I'm also curious to see how they'll handle things when the story gets to a certain manga chapter that caused a minor uproar among TG's fans last year.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: New Thesis - The original LOGH is also on my all-time favorites list, so again there's no way I'm going to pass this by. I'm still wondering if this will be just a remake of the original story or if they will at some point decide to take it in a different direction; I'm actually kinda hoping for the latter, because having watched the original series (twice!) I already know how everything plays out.

Lupin III, Part V - The world can always use more Lupin III.

Other shows I'm interested in worth mentioning:
Caligula, SAO Gun Gale, Golden Kamuy, Juushinki Pandora, Comic Girls, Cutey Honey Universe, Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii, Tada Doesn't Fall in Love.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
IRONY - When everyone whines how generic Isekai and harem are, then proceeds to hold Hero Academia a carbon copy of Naruto which is a carbon of H x H which is a carbon copy of Dragon Ball, as great exciting franchise. Or Soma being lauded when its a knock off right down to the reaction of Yaktitate Japan (not sure if YJ was the first to do them, but codified the over top reaction that Soma does). Oh but these shows are exciting , its not like they have some bland character, oh wait they do, some over powered or soon to be over power kid with a tragic background, who somehow always manages to win. And its not like all other characters are flat and tepid, oh wait, throw in some brooding rival, one or two token love interests, and a handful misfit side kicks. Haha.

DxD and FMP are at the top of my list, also interested in Hero Academia (I like isekai and harem, and reptitive cliche works so I have no problem with Hero in and of itself), and Im interested in Gege depending on how the adaptions plays out. I like Youkai stories, but the adaptations so far have been largely obscure.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
IRONY - When everyone whines how generic Isekai and harem are, then proceeds to hold Hero Academia a carbon copy of Naruto which is a carbon of H x H which is a carbon copy of Dragon Ball, as great exciting franchise.

No, it’s not. By that logic, Terminator is a carbon copy of Blade Runner. They share similar plot ecosystems and arcs, but other than that, it befuddles me how anyone can ever come to that conclusion. Something similar can’t be exciting? Okay then, whatever you say. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4