• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss, Armed Girl's Machiavellism English Dubs, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Announ

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Making 4 box set for $200/piece seems more practical to me. Oh, and each of those 4 box sets are limited to 250 units/each.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Making 4 box set for $200/piece seems more practical to me. Oh, and each of those 4 box sets are limited to 250 units/each.

I do not think that that math works out like you think it does. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait until the Made in Abyss set comes out.

As for LotGH... I'm not too bothered about the cost of the limited edition since I assume a much cheaper regular edition will eventually be offered. Not even sure I need that since I have a HiDive sub and can just watch the eppies off that.
Pantha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm absolutely stoked for LOGH and pre-ordered a copy. I have zero issues with the $800 price tag. The Limited Edition of Chihayafuru has an MSRP of $200 at 25 episodes. The MSRP for LOGH could have easily been $1200+ I don't have a problem with the limited amount, either. Why manufacture 15,000 copies when you are already risking so much? The set is either going to sell out quickly or end up in bargain bins two years from now. I hope the former is true as it will make it more likely that a standard edition will be released in the future.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
The set is either going to sell out quickly or end up in bargain bins two years from now. I hope the former is true as it will make it more likely that a standard edition will be released in the future.

This! Showing there is demand for a show is the best way to get future releases. If it bombs, it’s just less likely that anyone will think it’s worth investing in.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
No, releasing the show in a sane manner in the first place is the best way to ensure that people actually buy it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
No, releasing the show in a sane manner in the first place is the best way to ensure that people actually buy it.

Since they are insisting on a price comparable to the Japanese release, it would appear the rights holder in Japan don’t care how many people are able to buy the release right now.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
I'm absolutely stoked for LOGH and pre-ordered a copy. I have zero issues with the $800 price tag. The Limited Edition of Chihayafuru has an MSRP of $200 at 25 episodes. The MSRP for LOGH could have easily been $1200+ I don't have a problem with the limited amount, either. Why manufacture 15,000 copies when you are already risking so much? The set is either going to sell out quickly or end up in bargain bins two years from now. I hope the former is true as it will make it more likely that a standard edition will be released in the future.

The difference between Chihayafuru & LOGH is you can get it below the MRSP. I just bought the limited edition of Chihayafuru S2 for $90 off Sentai’s own website and while it’s limited it’s not limited to only 1000 copies.

Pretty sure people wouldn’t be complaining if they could buy each season of LOGH with maybe 1 chipboard box to put them in for $90 each.

Instead you have to pay $800 all at once which is an exboriant amount which most people can’t just fork over easily. And the fact that’s it’s so limited means you can’t even easily save that money.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru and most of the other big ticket releases mentioned in this thread also have an English dub.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll have to just stick with the LOGH novels. Releasing the series in more affordable chunks would've been my preference as well. The U.S.-only shipping doesn't bother me much since I have an account with a forwarding service, though sometimes retailers refuse to ship to known forwarders.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably buy the LoGH box in two $400 installments, lord knows I spent more at AB this year and I was pressed against the glass about to ask if I could buy this thing now.

Most box sets work that way, buy the box, get half the show, but now that you have half of an empty box you're inclined to finish the job. I feel more people will outright opt out of this.

But it isn't out till June? So I'll probably just put a few hundred away in a special account for a few months first. $800 is just a lot in one go. I can tolerate the price point overall.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 am Reply with quote
I have always wanted to watch this show. Have bought all the novels so far. Figured it would be worth owning, so I have not bothered to stream it.
Because I dislike streaming for many reasons and prefer to have an actual disc with the highest quality audio/video possible.

At 800$ however, even considering how big it is. This pushes it out of the realm of reasonable. (Even though I could easily spend the 800$ if I wanted.) What's awful about it, is charging upfront! 800$ ahead of time for something 3+ months away. Someone else mentioned being able to justify that cost staggered over time, that's how I justify almost all of my anime purchases. And makes it so much more manageable.
Guess I'll be streaming.. Confused (Probably never.)

If it were something like Gundam(Like some kind of insane LE or some other jazz)...or something like a PROPER un molested release of Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray. I would drop 800$ in a heartbeat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7