• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2018 Pokémon Film's Trailer Reveals Title, New Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:18 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Mew Berry wrote:
Definitely looking forward to this. I'm enjoying the alternate continuity of the new movies, even if I Choose You didn't always make the best choices. It's a good way to mix nostalgia with something new.

Personally, I think if you really want to see how Ash began his journey, you're better off watching the original series. I want to see this new one though. I'm really hoping there's a Pikachu short attached to it too. They haven't done any Pikachu shorts in a LONG time.

You're not wrong, but I've seen the original series many times and it's easily available, so I personally like having another option if I want it, and the premise actually got me to pay money to see a Pokémon movie for the first time in years, so I can't complain. I totally understand why a lot of people didn't like it, though. It definitely had its flaws.
russ869

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Great looking character designs.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
My only real concern about this new movie is they seem to be cramming in a lot of new original characters into a single 90 minute movie. The character development was kind of mixed for me with I Choose You though I enjoyed the film as a whole. So hopefully they'll be able to find a decent balance with so many new characters in this new film. I do love the new art style a lot and I can't wait to see it when it comes out.

That is a good reason to be concern about. Giving how long the Pokémon films tend to be, I don’t know if the characters are going to be flesh out as much as if this story was a TV show instead.

For my case when I saw the trailer I was thinking this is likely going to be one of those cases in which the protagonist (this case Ash) takes on a more inspirational role (which the story guide titled "Dramatica" refers to a character with such a role as the “impactful character”) as he influences the main characters to change over time.

As a side note I am most looking forward to seeing more of the girl with the pink hair. She is so cute and in a way she looks like a magical girl.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
SINNOH CONFIRMED?

Not really. I don't know where you getting that from.

CastMember1991 wrote:

I have a feeling the filmmakers wanted the movie to be divisive, and it did a good job of being just that.

I can see you really did not like the last movie. I never got the impression they wanted to make I Choose You divisive. In fact it would seem to counter with what their aim was when making the film which was for the anniversary of the Pokémon anime franchise as well as marketing for Gen 7. A divisive film is not going to do well in terms of being a celebration and marketing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I can see you really did not like the last movie. I never got the impression they wanted to make I Choose You divisive. In fact it would seem to counter with what their aim was when making the film which was for the anniversary of the Pokémon anime franchise as well as marketing for Gen 7. A divisive film is not going to do well in terms of being a celebration and marketing.

I can see it being a celebration of sorts. I was really excited about the film because of it. What really ruined it for me - and I mentioned it before on this thread - was having Pikachu talk. I was insulted! Did the folks at OLM really think we were that stupid?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The trailer's impressive and the character designs look great! Smile Here's hoping this retelling of Lugia's Explosive Birth (or Revelation-Lugia, if you will) will be an awesome watch.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

I can see it being a celebration of sorts. I was really excited about the film because of it. What really ruined it for me - and I mentioned it before on this thread - was having Pikachu talk. I was insulted! Did the folks at OLM really think we were that stupid?

I see. I have heard many people (at least it seem to me) were upset that Ash's pikachu spoke in human in the film. Personally, I was surprise to hear pikachu actually speak like that (as well as having a feminine vice for a male, but then he is voice by a voice actress so its' not all the surprising when I think about it), but I was not disappointed by it. What was it about Ash's pikachu speaking in human that made you, and everyone else, angry/insulted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
CastMember1991 wrote:

I see. I have heard many people (at least it seem to me) were upset that Ash's pikachu spoke in human in the film. Personally, I was surprise to hear pikachu actually speak like that (as well as having a feminine vice for a male, but then he is voice by a voice actress so its' not all the surprising when I think about it), but I was not disappointed by it. What was it about Ash's pikachu speaking in human that made you, and everyone else, angry/insulted?

My apologies for the late response.

For one thing, a lot of fans already understand how strong of a bond Ash and Pikachu have. It's like a boy-and-his-dog tale almost. You could definitely understand what Ash's Pikachu meant, even though you couldn't understand what it was saying when it communicated with its owner. That's why I as well as many others were upset. It was pathetic, and there was no reason for it whatsoever.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:

My apologies for the late response.

For one thing, a lot of fans already understand how strong of a bond Ash and Pikachu have. It's like a boy-and-his-dog tale almost. You could definitely understand what Ash's Pikachu meant, even though you couldn't understand what it was saying when it communicated with its owner. That's why I as well as many others were upset. It was pathetic, and there was no reason for it whatsoever.

It's alright. It happens. Anyway I see where you are coming from in why you felt insulted by what happen in the film. I guess it's because of how it is that Ash and his pikachu can understand each other and that we can easily understand what they are conveying to each other that having Ash's pikachu speak at that moment felt insulting since it felt like they were spoon feeding everyone what he was telling Ash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2