• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Remember Gundam?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:41 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the episode title, I thought it was a riff on the nostalgia-fueled "Member Berries" from South Park. Then again, are you guys even still watching that?

Anyways, while I haven't seen either, it sounds like Darling in the Franxx is treading some of the same thematic territory as From the New World. Accurate?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
"Member Gundam? Member Akira? Member Mecha Godzilla?"
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Anyways, while I haven't seen either, it sounds like Darling in the Franxx is treading some of the same thematic territory as From the New World. Accurate?

The main protagonists of both shows are teens living in a dystopian society, but beyond that they are not that thematically similar. I wish Darling had half the brains of SSY, but the former is too silly and transparent.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling you'd come around on Antarctica Girls/A Place Further Than The Universe in the end, Jacob. Glad to see I was right. For the record, Shirase's exact words to Hinata's ex-track friends on the livestream were "Piss off!"

I'd also add about the show: excellent denouement! Very rare do stories get a full last episode to unwind like that, never mind use the time so effectively to restate its thesis and provide new, earned emotional moments. Turns out being a totally unconstrained original production has its perks.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Eugenics is a very far out theory considering how afraid the adults are of parasite contamination. The woman in episode 10 was literally going around her apartment spraying disinfectant from a bottle right in front of Zorome. At this point in the show it seems obvious to me that the parasites are human/klaxosaur hybrids that are being used as disposable weapons. Papa and the APE council are almost certainly going to be the real villains of the show. Dr. Franxx is the scientist that is willing to change the system since he knows that authoritarian conformity is destroying their society. That is why he created a misfit team of parasites with unique Franxx.

Darling in the Franxx covers themes such as heterosexual relationships, family bonds, and personal freedom. Some people complained that the parasites were too heterosexual and now that the show is doing something about that the same people are mad at the show. From what I can see the show cares about all of the characters in the group. That Ikuno loves Ichigo and Ichigo loves Hiro is basic relationship drama and it doesn't mean the show doesn't care about Ikuno. Also when it comes to Mitsuru he let go of his anger towards Hiro since he realized that it was starting to hurt other people. It was letting go of that anger which allowed him to pilot again.
broodo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
People are getting mad about the Ikuno & Mitsuru being gay since episode 11, but if you go back to episode 4/5 it's been no real secret that Ikuno is a lesbian.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
The more I hear about Darling in the Franxx, the more glad I am I jumped ship in episode 4.

Also, I agree with Zac about PTE in pretty much every way, and my thoughts about After the Rain echo Jacob's. Nice ANNCast.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
"Member Gundam? Member Akira? Member Mecha Godzilla?"

Every time I see a new ad on ANN for Fate Grand/Order, I imagine the faculty of a college Classics department going “Member Gilgamesh? Member Song of Roland?”

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add… Adventure might be the best known Atari 2600 game, at least in a good way (Pac-Man and E.T. might be better known for being so bad). It would certainly be the go-to game if we're talking about hiding secrets, because it's the first well-known Easter Egg (the programmer hid his name in a secret room, as Atari did not credit any of their creative people at the time). Still, the best seller of all time for the platform reportedly was Yar's Revenge. A while back I read a book about the system, Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System which covers the artistic and technological concepts of 7 games for the platform, including Adventure. It's surely the only time a book has asked me to understand media criticism, business theory, and assembly language programming.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I remember Gundam. I also remember when Gundam was good. It’s... been a while.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh. It's been a while since I've listened to these podcasts, and it's jarring to hear how thoughtlessly/rudely critical this one was.
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations. I finally found the two leaset fun people on the planet.
moogrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Super useful podcast ep. I wasn't really interested in Isle of Dogs anyway but know I know it's definitely not for me. Even better was the brief discussion of the new Pacific Rim. I was already bored by & couldn't finish the first one but I wondered if the 2nd one would be better & it sounds like the answer is a resounding no.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
So, I don't know that there was one, but probably the first Gundam to appear in a mainstream Hollywood movie was glued to the Mothership in Close encounters of the Third Kind, there was an R2D2 there among the Easter eggs.

The data screens in Star Trek, the Next Generation were also famous for their anime references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1