• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Entertainment to Release Sweet Blue Flowers Anime on Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
@Blood- & Zalis116

I think all of Right Stuf!'s resources that would go to a new release are currently tied up in the Aria project. While it is a re-release, they are dubbing it this time around so it might as well be new and there is a lot of content to work on.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
That's odd as if Tamayura was just a sub only BD release, I never would have bought it. I'd like to see it continue, preferably on sub only DVD or, not going to happen but you... no, it's never going to happen... a BD release that doesn't have hard coded subtitles.

Can someone explain to me the necessity to watch subtitles in HD? I find it hilarious that I've seen many pirates properties that go out of their way to note that the subtitles are burnt in the image but people are willing to pay for the opportunity to play them.
I wouldn't believe everything you hear from pirate sites. The subtitles in locked sub-only Blu-Rays and DVDs are not hard-coded, not in the sense of being burned into the image. They're just forced to display by the coding on the discs and the BD player software. While that may be functionally equivalent to being hardcoded, it doesn't introduce compression artifacts around the text the way actual hardcoding would.

I don't think it's so much a necessity to watch subtitles per sé in HD, as it is a desire to watch modern, high-resolution art and animation in HD. (I hear the backgrounds in Tamayura are particularly striking.) Not to mention the other advantages of the format, like better encoding technology and more space to allow for higher bitrates with fewer compression artifacts. Viewers may still be willing to accept DVDs for shows from the mid-00s and before, if they haven't gotten a remaster or acceptable upscale. But they're a much harder sell for recent shows where viewers have probably seen HD streams or HDTV/BD-rips before the R1 DVD release comes out.

Though even subtitles in HD still provide an advantage, as BD subtitles are going to look better on modern screens than DVD subtitles designed for the CRT sets of the late 90s.

Quote:
And speaking of Rightstuf and Sato and nonGundam releases, they are doing the dubbed Aria BD eventually. Someday...
They are working on those Aria BDs, and as Alan45 suggests, maybe that's taking up a big chunk of their resources atm. But as great as I'm sure that release will be, it's still an upgrade of a previously-released title, like Sweet Blue Flowers -- not a new property licensed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think it's Nozomi/TRSI's slate of Gundam releases that is taking up a lot of bandwidth. Which makes sense... Nozomi is a small company and it's not like they can pump out titles at the same rate as Funi or Sentai. From a strictly business point of view, what they are doing I'm sure makes sense but it does make me long for the old days when they would tackle something unreleased (besides new Gundam titles, of course).
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 pm Reply with quote
YES! Been waiting for Gundam 00 on blu-ray. One of my favorite Gundams, picking up that ultra edition.

And the Gundam AGE OVA.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Gundam 00 was the first HD anime I saw on a HDTV and my first Gundam series. Very excited to see it finally getting a decent release stateside.

Nice to see Aoi Hana come out on BD. Nozomi doesn't really pick up shows that are artistic drecks so seeing their content on BD is welcome imo. I won't be double dipping but it's nice that a BD version exists.

Blood- wrote:
Personally, I think it's Nozomi/TRSI's slate of Gundam releases that is taking up a lot of bandwidth. Which makes sense... Nozomi is a small company and it's not like they can pump out titles at the same rate as Funi or Sentai. From a strictly business point of view, what they are doing I'm sure makes sense but it does make me long for the old days when they would tackle something unreleased (besides new Gundam titles, of course).

To be fair, some of this Gundam stuff was mentioned years ago and they're just now putting it out. I don't think they've really moved away from the unreleased stuff. Like they announced Sengoku Collection after saying they had Gundam and it came out a year (years?) before Gundam 00.

I think it's more a timing thing than them moving away from unreleased stuff.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
I am definitely going to pick up that Gundam 00 set when it drops (though I could do without the movie. Also I'm still waiting on news about that Seed release rightstuf!) and I've recently started reading Sweet Blue Flowers thanks to those 2 in 1 editions viz has been dropping lately. I really enjoy the series so I may pick up that blu-ray as well.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
BD...it's always a good thing.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice to Gundam 00 on BD.
Maybe I can finally have that series on my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2