• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Best and Worst Manga of 2016 Results - Comic-Con International

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImmortalGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
How in the world is Bleach "under the radar" and "underrated"? It's a flagship title for Shonen Jump and has been one of the most popular Shonen Jump titles for over 10 years.
Lokarunith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm amazed that Guardians of The Louvre got on the worst manga list, I've heard soo many great reviews when it came out in Spain.. but I guess Taniguchi is not as much appreciated in the US.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to throw in my agreement about how World Trigger should be on the most underrated list. It has a focus on tactical battles, great characters, and very solid plot writing in general.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see Dungeon Meshi's on their radar. If I recall correctly, it hit #1 on Amazon Japan in seinen manga or somesuch, so I guess it's not took much of a surprise but, yeah, I'm looking forward to a licensing announcement.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Lokarunith wrote:
I'm amazed that Guardians of The Louvre got on the worst manga list, I've heard soo many great reviews when it came out in Spain.. but I guess Taniguchi is not as much appreciated in the US.

I'd take the criticism with a shovel of salt, it's literally the first and still only negative commentary i've seen on Guardians. For my money, i'm still paying full RRP for it because we need more Taniguchi in English.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa, Servant x Service under the worst category? The hell? Did the manga like suck compared to the anime? Because the anime was pretty damn good, imo.

IMO, no. Loved the manga! Sad to see it in that category. Humor from the show is certainly there, but I can see it losing points (in the eyes of some) due to the art style.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
http://tumblr.iamdavidbrothers.com/post/147983622277/bestworst-manga-2016

David Brothers (one of the panelists) posted this about his picks and why he picked them. Whether you agree or not, I think the reasons behind lists like these are always more helpful than just a simple "best/worst" tag.

From what I can understand of his Bleach explanation (seriously, that last sentence is...something), it seems more like he's damning it with faint praise than anything else, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than straight-up claiming it's underrated.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
^I'd see it as, yes, Bleach is not as good as it used to be, but it certainly isn't as bad as some people make it out to be (including the column Nick wrote for this site) and it lost way more popularity and gets a lot more garbage thrown at it than it deserves. I mean, compare it to other Jump series that have declined like Toriko or Nisekoi, heck, most people who read Naruto complained constantly about how bad the last arc was, and it never got half the hate Bleach has. So in that sense it's underrated because it's rated a lot lower than it quite deserves to be.
RockyRZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Black Clover ain't deserve this
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
RockyRZ wrote:
Black Clover ain't deserve this

You do realize that this is a nearly 2 year old news item, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5