• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Caligula

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
My (digital) copy of the game's still there, sitting nicely inside my Vita... without being played even once Sad

Gonna play it soon, hopefully its "from the writer of Persona!" pedigree doesn't disappoint.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else watching this for the music/seiyuu? I'm watching it because 2 of the 3 seiyuu from my favorite idol unit are in this. (Their music is amazing)

Also, the thing with the producers in this anime seems like it should be interesting.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
My (digital) copy of the game's still there, sitting nicely inside my Vita... without being played even once Sad

Gonna play it soon, hopefully its "from the writer of Persona!" pedigree doesn't disappoint.

storywise, it's really good. Especially if you like persona 1 and 2.
Gameplay wise... Uhm, well, not good.... maybe it's better to wait for PS4 version.
Clover_Zero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this anime for ages. I wish I can play the game (Overdose, though. English when, I need the extra 2 characters and female protagonist).

The execution of the anime in 2 episodes doesn't disappoint me. I especially like the incongruity feels in ep 1 and denpa-like feels in ep 2. I honestly like this more than Persona (excluding Persona 1 and 2 for obvious reasons, and maybe 3. You can say I'm just bored on some stuffs in Persona series), but I'm afraid I heard some failings of the game other than gameplay, so I'm hoping this anime doesn't fail too much at least, although it might be rushed because limited episodes...oh, of course, the music is great. One of the reason I'm watching.

I'm honestly like Ritsu, obsessed with psychology and philosophy (what a coincidence), though I don't say anything unless necessary, but I understand how he feels to spout out stuffs sometimes (cries).

I like being confused, honestly, so less exposition so far is okay for me. Even great.

The question now how will the other characters (other than the four that found out they can't get out of the city) realize the truth? I'm waiting.

Episode 3 seems to will have existentialism based on its title.

Also, Bkub-sensei is great, thanks Caligula.

Edit: Oh god how could I forgot to say...the OP is sung by the two boys (Ritsu and Shougo), while the ED is by the girls. It's nice and pretty rare to see, the boys got to sing too. This is justice.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:

storywise, it's really good. Especially if you like persona 1 and 2.
Gameplay wise... Uhm, well, not good.... maybe it's better to wait for PS4 version.

Will the PS4 version get rid of the terrible social link system (I don't care that I can befriend 153 personality less human husks by clicking on them), the incredibly slow battle system, and cut the majority of dead space in the game. I think my biggest gripe with Caligula was the lack of variety in the music tracks. I only got past the first dungeon and I can only remember two tracks from that place and I spent 10 hours listening to those songs droning on in my head. I will agree that Caligula had terrible FPS but that was the least of it's problems as far as I am concerned.

That being said the story of the game was kinda interesting, so I might check the show out down the line as a replacement for not having to go back to the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
Well, ANN ate my first post, and I'm not in the mood to write it all out in an orderly fashion again, but the gist was:

1) I was annoyed that Ritsu didn't even stop to ask if his friends were dead or unconscious. Can they die in µ's world?

2) Not knowing what's going on in the real world is a huge distraction for me, which I hope they'll address sooner than later.

3) Why does the Encyclopedia synopsis say "Tadashi Satomi is a virtual idol known as μ"? oO
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying this psychological virtual reality adventure and while the first episode was overly vague the story becomes a lot easier to understand by the second episode. I like the concept that μ isn't a villain but that she is just inhuman enough that she doesn't understand why anyone wouldn't be happy living in a virtual world. That some of the humans consider the virtual world to be their utopia and are constantly telling μ that everything is going well gives the show a neat twist. Also this might have the best music of any show this season.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
So, a rather interesting tidbit I heard. Apparently these first three episodes only cover the first 30-60 minutes of the Caligula game. Which is, practically unheard of as far as anime adaptations of video games go?

From what i've been told, quite a bit has been added or changed around. For example, 90% of episode 1 was anime-original (up until the entrance ceremony), and Ritsu (a total blank slate in the game) was also attending SweetP's Tea Party with Mifue.

Which I'm totally fine with, but it kind of makes me wonder if this is even gonna cover the full game at this pace with only 12 episodes? I hope to god this doesn't end on some kind of cliffhanger with "huehue, now ya gotta play the game!" footnote at the end. That would be extra garbage.

But that also means that, since that scene was supposed to happen so early anyway, it's not really meant to be some kind of dramatic, emotionally cathartic showdown where the character reaches some kind of epiphany about themselves, this is probably more of a taste for things to come. At least, I certainly hope that's what it's supposed to be.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
So, a rather interesting tidbit I heard. Apparently these first three episodes only cover the first 30-60 minutes of the Caligula game. Which is, practically unheard of as far as anime adaptations of video games go?

From what i've been told, quite a bit has been added or changed around. For example, 90% of episode 1 was anime-original (up until the entrance ceremony), and Ritsu (a total blank slate in the game) was also attending SweetP's Tea Party with Mifue.

Which I'm totally fine with, but it kind of makes me wonder if this is even gonna cover the full game at this pace with only 12 episodes? I hope to god this doesn't end on some kind of cliffhanger with "huehue, now ya gotta play the game!" footnote at the end. That would be extra garbage.

But that also means that, since that scene was supposed to happen so early anyway, it's not really meant to be some kind of dramatic, emotionally cathartic showdown where the character reaches some kind of epiphany about themselves, this is probably more of a taste for things to come. At least, I certainly hope that's what it's supposed to be.

I'm a big fan of the original game (even though it objectively sucks quite frankly) and I'm actually not at all concerned! The anime is a wildly different beast from the game in terms of story structure, pacing and most everything save working from the same premise and basic worldbuilding concepts.

For example, SweetP is actually the game's second boss and the gang are forced to run some extremely elaborate rings to get to the tea party. Additionally, the in-game reason for their attendance is wildly different from the anime and in fact, it isn't even Mifue's idea to go in the first place.

So at the pace the anime is going and the way it's re-arranged so much of the story already (and thus trimmed a HUGE amount of dead weight from the narrative) I'd be shocked if it didn't have a proper conclusion.

(It should also be noted that most of that first hour and a half of gameplay is spent traipsing around dungeons and fighting near intolerably slow battles...)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Since everyone here seems to have played the game, I won't bother speculating about anything that's going on. Instead I'll just ask what is the connection between this and the PopTeam Epic preview cards?
Clover_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Since everyone here seems to have played the game, I won't bother speculating about anything that's going on. Instead I'll just ask what is the connection between this and the PopTeam Epic preview cards?

I haven't played the game myself, but according to the person above you, the anime has great differences anyway. You can say that Bkub-sensei is collaborating with Caligula (or hired). If you remember the April's Fool joke, the video was drawn by Bkub-sensei as well.

Anyway, I forgot to comment here. Episode 3 is a hot mess, but episode 4 is really much better. I really like the lineless scenes (it's like OP in episode 1, but rougher, good for the atmosphere), I hope they use it more. Really, Caligula is unusual for a video game adaptation. I can see the staff tried their best so everyone can understand and feel it without playing the game...unless cliffhanger ending.

I'm still worried whether it can cover everything in 12 episodes...
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I think the three books in the latest episode could be some thematic reference to Caligula. I'm not familiar with the other two, but I have read Momo (and have been meaning to re-read it) and there might be some connection
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the game actually had them going to the park in hopes of finding out more about what the musicians were up to. It wasn't just a random trip to the park because of reasons.

For every right thing this adaptation does, it does something equally confusing.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Man I'm not even keeping track of this series or review but that blurb is so, so wrong. The very best episodes are the ones where you spend the whole time confused. (Though I bet what you're trying to say is that Caligula did that on accident, right?)
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
I say the game can be as confusing. But gives more insight imo. And they changed things a bit that I won't tell because they are pretty much spolerific material.

The anime is alright, but can be outright confusing for some people. I hope Overdose is localized and better than the game.

My favorite episode has to be 3 since it shows how disgusting Sweet-P can be haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3