• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Rocking and Socking with MEGALOBOX

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am Reply with quote
MEGALOBOX IS really freaking awesome. I have enjoyed every second of the first two episodes so far, and I dearly hope it can keep up with this entertainment level. Everything from the visuals, to the music, to the characters themselves are just done brilliantly so far. I love my bishounen anime, but I REALLY love a good gritty violent anime, and I hope this one is the present that keeps on giving.

As someone who knows next to nothing of Ashita no Joe, I can say this one is a real gem for the season, and it makes me want to go back and check out it's roots.

Thanks for the review guys. I'll be right there with you rooting for that junkyard dog.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
All I have to say is : Believe the hype! I'm really happy that such a wonderful and kickass series is getting the love it deserves... Now if only it had been 2 cours .. but oh, well, I'm sure it's going to be awesome anyway Laughing
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Yuri kind of remind anybody else of the main bad guy in Ninja Scroll? Other similarities as well, just can't quite put my finger on it.

It also reminds me of the movie Redline for some reason, it has a similar feel and I don't mean about the obvious underdog story and match fixing elements.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This anime is amazing and the sooner it gets a dub/Toonami or Hulu airing the better.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
MEGALOBOX is in fact very well executed, at least so far, but then again I am already reasonably familiar with the original story of Ashita no Joe (although in compilation movie form). With that in mind, I am looking forward to seeing them keep the same spirit alive while, hopefully, not strictly attempting to create yet another pastiche of the memorable ending(s).
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Is it just me or does Yuri kind of remind anybody else of the main bad guy in Ninja Scroll? Other similarities as well, just can't quite put my finger on it.

It also reminds me of the movie Redline for some reason, it has a similar feel and I don't mean about the obvious underdog story and match fixing elements.

YOU’RE NOT THE ONLY ONE. I legit thought he looked like Gemma from “Ninja Scroll” except more like Riikishi from the original “Ashita no Joe”. And Russian.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The early, stylish promo material for this when it was first announced was very intriguing, but I figured it best not to get my hopes up - it's more often you get a stale little "remember that thing" piece - but oh boy, am I glad they are taking this 50th anniversary seriously. It looks like this is yet another production this year destined to propel an all-time classic into wider international anime fan consciousness.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The animation, direction, style, and other technical points really are SO awesome.
I haven't seen something this accomplished outside of feature films in ages. Maybe Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. The descriptions in this feature are accurate.

...but I still had to think hard as to whether or not I'd bother with the second episode and there's still a question of how far I last.

1. the basic, I'm not a fan of boxing.
2. In order to get past 2 you HAVE to have lots of heart. You have to give me a reason to care about the characters, you have to convince me the story goes beyond the sport. This hasn't shown much of that.

Adachi's Katsu! boxing manga delivers heart in spades and I've read that 2-3 times through. How it got skipped for adaptation is a mystery to me.

This? It threatens to be all macho courage and spunky grit. My life is crap and the rich guys are filth. Get to the top, be the best, beat the crap out of those in your way.
I don't know if that's enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Just as a sidenote for anyone who enjoying the OP and ED, BOTH are already on Spotify. Hoping the same will go for the full OST when that gets released, since more anime seem to be doing that these days
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I was slightly looking forward to this, worried the mecha-add-ons would hurt the show. If we can get some more good fights in like vs Yuri, some good old fashioned training....then we might have a winner! It certainly is a to-watch of the season.

Yuri as the guy-to-beat is also pretty great. It is nice to have a calm and cool 'bad guy' to beat, who isn't mouth-foamingly insane.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
For those like me who want an Eng. dub of this to start airing or streaming in the next 3 months, who do you see playing Junk Dog? I see David Wald or Chris Sabat being the ideal voices.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
All I have to say is : Believe the hype! I'm really happy that such a wonderful and kickass series is getting the love it deserves... Now if only it had been 2 cours .. but oh, well, I'm sure it's going to be awesome anyway Laughing

With it being the 50th anniversary of AnJ and considering that is such an important sports anime/manga, 13 epi. is not enough to help celebrate. I think we could get a 2nd season this fall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1