• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mangamura Pirate Manga Site Becomes Inaccessible

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:16 am Reply with quote
Hopefully that site and its servers will remain shut down.

... and if we're fortunate enough the Abe government won't be around much longer either...

クローズアップ現代+

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20180418/k10011408791000.html

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Cut off its head and two more will take its place as the saying goes.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
If people from america are really running that site. Interesting.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA) asserted to the government that between September 2017 and February, piracy has inflicted an estimated amount of more than 400 billion yen (about US$3.72 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan.

I counter with this.

Quote:
The All Japan Magazine and Book Publisher's and Editor's Association (AJPEA) released a report on February 24 that estimated that the combined physical and digital sales of the manga industry in Japan amounted to 445.4 billion yen (about US$3.91 billion) in 2016.

So they really claim with a straight face that piracy inflicts loses almost double the worth of total earnings? Rolling Eyes
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA) asserted to the government that between September 2017 and February, piracy has inflicted an estimated amount of more than 400 billion yen (about US$3.72 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan.

I counter with this.

Quote:
The All Japan Magazine and Book Publisher's and Editor's Association (AJPEA) released a report on February 24 that estimated that the combined physical and digital sales of the manga industry in Japan amounted to 445.4 billion yen (about US$3.91 billion) in 2016.

So they really claim with a straight face that piracy inflicts loses almost double the worth of total earnings? Rolling Eyes

Not really, since the top association is about overseas distribution, while your 2nd article is about Domestic sales of manga in JPN.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:38 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Not really, since the top association is about overseas distribution, while your 2nd article is about Domestic sales of manga in JPN.

You do know the actions described in the article are mainly for targeting Japan's domestic piracy, which should be evident as the named sites targeted are all Japanese language.

But should they claim, as you posit, that overseas piracy dwarfs domestic market, that just ups the ridiculousness value of the claim to whole nother level... Confused
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
Good luck with shutting down non-Japan-based websites. This will only get you so far! Laughing Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Whackamole Laughing
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if Mangamura was hacked just like ANN was last year. Whatever the case I have no doubt that it will return eventually and will have a lot more readers thanks to all the free publicity it has received. Whoever had this idea about blocking foreign websites can now print a banner in engrish that says "MISSION ACCOMPLICE".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
Do you notice amazon Japan is not sending mangas an magazine international anymore?
I wonder if it's connected
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
#881803 wrote:
Do you notice amazon Japan is not sending mangas an magazine international anymore?

Reminds me of when cdjapan dropped their subscription services and thus mine of Comic Lo. Not helping was that even when buying issues of it individually those were restricted to Japan-only no matter what retailer. That was many years ago.

Of course I could have used a shopping service for it(not only for Japan-only sites, sometimes sites like Hobby Search and other Japanese retailers hide certain products on their English front-ends). But the trouble and additional costs is too much of a hassle to bother with. Luckily there's regular rips of it online so now I just get those...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
#881803 wrote:

Straight from "101 moronic things a company can do to hurt their bottom line", right there with "produce more game cartridges than consoles sold" or "release a new game console and announce that in six month a more modern one will be released to the public". I wonder if their next step would be to create a national database of what manga has any japanese citizen bought, since "you have nothing to fear if you are doing nothing illegal".
starlightknight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:14 pm Reply with quote
#881803 wrote:

Nope, didn't notice. Bought some today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1