• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
The return of Steins;Gate...

Been waiting this for years and so far, this really did exceed my expectations. Seeing all the characters back and the similar storytelling style impressed me more than I had anticipated. It also has one of the best theme songs imo for this season.

I think this was confirmed as 23 episodes so there's plenty they can develop for the main story. So glad it's back!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
They couldn't find a native English speaker? Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
For some reason, the second episode gave me vibes of both Chobits and Welcome to the NHK (which isn't a bad thing, as those are both very good shows). There's the whole A.I. thing, and I could easily see Okabe becoming withdrawn from society/overtly attached to Amadeus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azumi14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
I finish Stein Gate Zero visual novel and played all the ending. The anime so far is follow the same route as the VN. I loving it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Now I'm really curious how the peeps of FUNimation are going to tackle that guy's character. Will the dub actor speak in both English and Russian?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Now I'm really curious how the peeps of FUNimation are going to tackle that guy's character. Will the dub actor speak in both English and Russian?

Oh, in the original Japanese was it supposed to be an American / America as opposed to Russia?? You know, that makes sense, lol! I've only watched the English dub version of everything Steins;Gate!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'm sure opinions on the matter vary, but while anime media on the whole has had its ups and downs, I'd personally felt like 2008 to 2010 or so was a particularly dire era, where it seemed certain kinds of shows were never going to get produced again and there was just so much endless mediocrity not worth sifting through...

2011 came along and brought Madoka Magica, Tiger & Bunny, and...Steins;Gate. Seeing this again, with how it picks up from the original without missing a beat, really brings me back to that point in time, and how riveting it was.

Which is certainly a relief, because when the visual novel spin off was announced my gut instinct was "oh with the other ;s not being so popular, they've just gotta go back to the well and ruin it, huh". Glad they really did have somewhere to go with it.

...although did everyone's boobs stick out this much in the original? I don't remember. Maybe it was Kurisu single-handedly holding everyone back in my head.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Little skittish about how the show's going to approach some of the problems with the source material later on, but thus far it's a very solid adaptation and I've got confidence in it.

jenthehen wrote:

Believe it or not it was WORSE in the visual novel. I legit couldn't tell at first that the guy was speaking English.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I love seeing Okabe as a normie, and I like Maho. (Makise is too perky but it's a minor quibble.) White Fox is doing a good job with the adaptation.

My main gripe is too much magitek. The original story had extrapolated the consequences of a simple device that spoiler[could do only a very limited form of time travel. It was a cellphone that could send a text message of 36 bytes back in time (so-called 'D-mail'). ] That's it, nothing else. The story then explored what the consequences of such a device might be, and how it spoiler[could knock the whole world on its side and eventually start World War III. Episode by episode we watched the world spiral increasingly out of control] due to that one little device.

Here the techological pendulum has swung too far the other way. Not only can Amadeus somehow copy human memories with perfect fidelity, it can process said memories to accurately mimic human reasoning *and* integrate optical processing (visualization) *and* do auditory processing (hearing) *and* construct and formulate new memories *and* do it all in real time. In 2010? Really? This is pure magitek. Compared to the original series I am worried that this one will open the door to far too many consequences to handle properly without turning into faux philosophical mush (cf Beatless).
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who thinks that memories as data is too much of a stretch in this universe, I'll quote Chaos;Head:

Quote:
Everything is an electrical device. Even us. All humans receive information from outside themselves using a combination of their five senses, but about 80% of that comes from sight.

The images we pick up become pulse signals or electricity and are sent to the brain through the optical nerve. Nerve impulses are essentially just electronic signals, so with the right technology you could send artificial image data to someone's brain and reshape their world.

Keep in mind, this is the same universe where people can make their imagination a reality if they subconsciously force other people to perceive their delusions, so it's not at all a stretch to say that human memories can be saved as data. Especially when this universe states that humans are electronic devices.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited for this!! The source VN is actually better than the original in many regards, and these first two episodes have been done perfectly. Plus I gotta say this has the best ED I have heard this season by far. Hats off to the singer and animation director for both the OP and ED.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this so far. My only issue with it is that it just throws you into things with no context. I had to go online to find out that this was a continuation of an alternate ending.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
I love seeing Okabe as a normie, and I like Maho. (Makise is too perky but it's a minor quibble.) White Fox is doing a good job with the adaptation.

My main gripe is too much magitek. The original story had extrapolated the consequences of a simple device that spoiler[could do only a very limited form of time travel. It was a cellphone that could send a text message of 36 bytes back in time (so-called 'D-mail'). ] That's it, nothing else. The story then explored what the consequences of such a device might be, and how it spoiler[could knock the whole world on its side and eventually start World War III. Episode by episode we watched the world spiral increasingly out of control] due to that one little device.

Here the techological pendulum has swung too far the other way. Not only can Amadeus somehow copy human memories with perfect fidelity, it can process said memories to accurately mimic human reasoning *and* integrate optical processing (visualization) *and* do auditory processing (hearing) *and* construct and formulate new memories *and* do it all in real time. In 2010? Really? This is pure magitek. Compared to the original series I am worried that this one will open the door to far too many consequences to handle properly without turning into faux philosophical mush (cf Beatless).

You forget that the original series also had spoiler[being able to blast someone's consciousness back in time through their cellphone.]

Amadeus if anything makes WAY more sense than that because it's the same basic concept but it doesn't have the same size restriction, it has the resources of an actual lab behind it, and there's probably at least some kind of neural scan or something involved instead of just, "Put this on your head for two seconds and it's done."

everydaygamer wrote:
I'm really enjoying this so far. My only issue with it is that it just throws you into things with no context. I had to go online to find out that this was a continuation of an alternate ending.

That one feels like just poor planning or assuming people were watching the Steins;Gate rebroadcast. The alternate version of episode 23 they did to promote the game basically explains the situation, and most of that info is also in the game, but I guess since they'd adapted it before they decided to cut it for time in this case. Which is certainly pretty questionable.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
This is definitely the sequel that I never knew I wanted but didn't know how much i needed it.

Thanks to my short attention span i completely forgot about episode 23's 'beta' version so while I remembered the gist of how thing pan out, most things were a genuine surprise.

Poor Okabe, he's really suffering. Can't say with certainty by I think it was implied that he was taking medicine, most like anti-depression pills or something to cope with his traumatic summer. That and Hypno therapy via Mayuri's suggestion. Dunno if he'll need them anymore now that he's got AI Christina but I'd like to see them go more in depth.

That said I'm very interested as to why shining finger was at the seminar. I can guess its related to the AI but is it really? and to what extent? And finally where in the hell is MR BRAUN? Does his daughter spoiler[still grow up to be a crazy bitch or the normal one seen in robotics;notes?]
Lightice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Judging from the guy's name, it seems that he's supposed to be Finnish, or at least of Finnish descent. Aleksis is the first name of a famous Finnish writer, Aleksis Kivi, and Leskinen is an exclusively Finnish surname.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9