• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 Years Ago: The Best Anime of 1998

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
You're cray cray for saying that about Outlaw Star. Outlaw Star amazing for like 20 episodes. You just had it backwards. The final arc was lame but the rest was good fun.

Quote:
having access to an online world via mobile devices wasn't yet reality

In their minds in was. The first mobile internet service was activated just a year later, in 1999. So it wasn't really a stretch.

Quote:
But for years now, whenever I run the opening credits sequence to Cowboy Bebop at an anime convention, I've been asking the crowd to raise their hands if they've never seen what I'm showing before. On average, half the audience raises their hands.

This is just disgusting. People, if you know anime fans that haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, fix that problem. It's a horrible thing. Still makes me depressed thinking about how much older I am than other people and now they haven't seen so many great anime simply because they're so young.

I remember really liking Kite when I first saw it (without the hentai). Then I saw the full version and was just like "wtf". But overall I think they're enjoyable films.

A lot of my friends back in the day had very high praise for Kare Kano but I only ever got a few episodes in. Really wish I finished it, the hype was pretty high.

I also remember liking Record of Lodoss War a lot but definitely not as the "Best" of 98.
And that's pretty much all I can find on wikipedia's "anime of 1998" list that seem remotely decent, besides what you listed. Overall it was a year with a handful of LEGENDS but almost everything else was pretty average.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
1998 was a very important year for anime. Trigun and the eternal classic Cowboy Bebop were formative anime for me, and they remain among my all time favorites to this day.

Following logic I assume Daryl's next retrospective will be on 2008. But 2009 is to me more compelling because Bakemonogatari, K-On! and FMA: Brotherhood came out that year. I also believe 2009 saw a major shift on how Japanese anime producers started to cater more to otaku sensibilities in order to sell tons of discs and merchandise. To a lesser extent the anime industry today continues to operate under that model.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
... It seemed impossible for CLAMP to make a more popular series than what they'd previously done but the exceptional animation, elaborate character designs, action, comedy and of course card battling resulted in the rare feat of attempting to make something for everyone …that ACTUALLY IS something for everyone. Of everything listed here, the legacy of Card Captor Sakura is the least disputed, for its 2018 continuation has currently got fans buzzing anew. ...

Am I right you're referring to Magic Knight Rayearth?

Also, how many agree CCS has aged the best of the bunch? You can pop in a disc/open a file of the old series and, well, still feel it's totally watchable even by today's conventions. How many other series from that era can say the same?
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A little disappointed Outlaw Star was given a pass. This was the "popular" space opera at the time until Cowboy Bebop stole the show, the year, and the "Best Anime Title EVAR!" award by tens of thousands of fans.

I doubt it would win the award today, with such titles out even in the last 10 years.

As a fan, I don't see anything of the last 10 years usurping CB's title. Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping against today's anime, but there's definitive proof the market taste has changed to make those "old people's shows" less appealing to today's market.

Nothing wrong with this, of course. It's like trying to get an audience interested in B&W movies which they'll not see as "good" when compared to the 15th trillion iteration of a regurgitated Star Wars or super hero movie.

I would definitely recommend many of the titles in the article for fans to review.

Except for Kite. Even without the sex scenes, it was horrible. Instead, I recommend Mezzo. More entertaining and similar in terms of graphic violence. Gotta love Mikura.

Hmm. The nostalgia bug just bit me. Time to dust off a couple of DVDs (remember those?)
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
A lot of my friends back in the day had very high praise for Kare Kano but I only ever got a few episodes in. Really wish I finished it, the hype was pretty high.

I don't recommend that at all because I think you'll be disappointed. Somewhere around halfway through it's like the entire staff just gave up. The writing just went off the rails to pure filler and flashbacks and the animation resorted to mostly puppet cut-outs. I plowed through it only to be increasing frustrated and pissed off. Reading about it afterward there was a huge dispute between the director and mangaka who had suddenly cut ties him. I vaguely recall she wanted the adaptation to basically stick to the story and focus on the relationship and romance but the director wanted to focus on the comedy. I definitely agree with the mangaka here.

Quote:
A FREAKIN’ COROLLA FOR PETE'S SAKE, IT'S A FREAKIN’ COROLLA

Ah.. that was back when Toyotas made RWD cars. I haven't watched Initial D but even I know about the AE86, basically of no relation to modern Corollas.

Quote:
EXCEPT I DON'T CARE ABOUT CARS ONE SINGLE BIT

hmm well I hope someone else can tell me how Initial D compares to Wangan Midnight. All I know is that both are based on real life cars and locations but Wangan focuses on highway racing while Initial D focuses on drifting. However I've dropped Wangan for now after several episodes and I don't like to drop shows. I love cars but the overall story and writing was pretty bad. It wasn't great from a auto-otaku standpoint either. I assume the manga is just as bad. I was hoping it would be like sports anime where the competition would be on the tuning of the cars, then I could forgive the bad story.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I also believe 2009 saw a major shift on how Japanese anime producers started to cater more to otaku sensibilities in order to sell tons of discs and merchandise. To a lesser extent the anime industry today continues to operate under that model.

Nah, it'd been doing that for a while. '06's Haruhi fanaticism and Code Geass's branding of everything was pretty egregious pandering as well, but it's gone on long before that. Gainax was founded by garage kit enthusiasts that kept the lights on with their specialty kits, after all.

Daryl covered the major bases, but I'll mention the first Pokémon movie as Kind of a Big Deal and Orphen was kind of like Weiß Kreuz in that it was hugely popular with a certain set of fans and then totally evaporated from the fan consciousness.

I'll also defend Outlaw Star because that was the first series I scrimped and saved for on DVD that wasn't a one-off OVA, I loved it so much. Still do, and it's soundtrack is still fantastic.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I watched Princess Nine out of curiosity recently (it's on sale pretty often), and it wasn't bad! I appreciated it for the reasons the author mentioned, even if it does have its rough edges. Very enjoyable watch.

I didn't start watching anime until 2009, but i've slowly been coming around to watching stuff from this era. I saw Cowboy Bebop for the first time a few years ago, but my favorite from this year is still Trigun. it's just an iconic show for me and a masterpiece of world-building, and Vash is such a great character.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
As a fan, I don't see anything of the last 10 years usurping CB's title. Don't get me wrong, I'm not harping against today's anime, but there's definitive proof the market taste has changed to make those "old people's shows" less appealing to today's market.

Changes in taste don't matter with Cowboy Bebop because its themes, attitude and exquisite production values will never feel old. It is not an "old people's show", it is a timeless classic accessible to old and new fans.

As far as a show from the last 10 years that could dethrone Cowboy Bebop for best ever, I can think of a few but Madoka Magica is the strongest candidate.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
The first half of Kare Kano was fabulous. It was the show that single handedly convinced me that shows based from a shoujo manga could be good, entertaining and compelling. Before Kare Kano I was only into sci-fi or action heavy shows.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Knight Hunters: Weiss Kreuz (remember when THIS was massively popular?!)

The first time I took my wife to an anime convention (must have been AWA 1999, I guess), we went to the room for the screening of that year's Lupin special, since she had seen a few of the Lupin movies with me and liked them. But the schedule was running like 40 minutes late, so we ended up sitting through the last two episodes of Weiss Kreuz just so we wouldn't lose our seats, and we were both like "what is this crap?"

I get now why there would be a fanbase for it, fine. But, bleh.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…and with that, it seems that I've hit my quota for 1998 sci-fi space Western anime, so we'll be passing on Outlaw Star. That's fine, since it was only good for about 3 or 4 episodes anyway!

twilightmidna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where you get the idea that Outlaw Star is only good for 3 or 4 episodes. It's a great show and one of my favorites.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn on Lain. I feel like trapped somewhere in it is a really good two hour film about people losing their grip on reality in the infinite possibilities of cyber-space. Unfortunately, there's two more hours of convoluted, boring conspiracy rubbish & an ending pulled out of some unspeakable orifice. Thank goodness The Matrix hadn't come out yet, though, or it would probably have been much worse *cough* Ergo Proxy *cough*.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But always remember: many current otaku weren't even alive in 1998
Excuse me, but what are you implying? That it was a long time ago, that the people who were alive to remember that time are old?

I am surprised that fewer people today have seen Cowboy Bebop, at one point on YouTube every reviewer had a review of CB, oh and Outlaw Star. I suppose it is all because of simulcasting, the days when your first 5-15 first Anime would be stuff from years back are now gone.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I just finished rewatching Outlaw Star on Blu-ray a few days ago. There was only a few episodes scattered throughout the series that were any good. The art, animation, and writing in those episodes seem to sky rocket compared to the other episodes.

Personally I would have put Gasaraki on my list and not just as a shity by-product of another anime, but that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7