• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Producer Yuichi Fukushima Endures Harassment Over DARLING in the FRANKXX Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Shippers can be utterly insane.

They most definitely can be. And it's disgusting. No creator or actor or anyone deserves threats like this over the story being told. It was bad enough when Sui Ishida received death threats for his decisions in Tokyo Ghoul:re, or the threats to the Kuroko no Basket fandom back in its heyday, so the fact that we still provide these people with a punishment free outlet is terrible.

Kuroko stuff had nothing to do with fans. It was just some crazy classmate of the mangaka.

Tokyo Ghoul definately has an awful western fanbase though. Sending death threats to the mangaka because two characters werent gay, or sending death threats to other fans that refer to Mutsuki as female despite the mangaka calling her a female because she's some trans icon in their mind.

But shipping is terrible. Definately.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, there's a controversy about episode 14? Did the writer pull off something daring and controversial?
*reads article*
Oh, it's just generic harem/love triangle garbage. *facepalm*
Well, now they imitated Eva in another respect, by getting death threats
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
You may notice that a heap of posts have been deleted. Trolling and personal abuse aren't welcome here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
People just like to gave too much focus to romance overall, ignoring the other details in Franxx, especially when it comes to its setting. This is not surprising though, because it is just the kind of feeling everyone should have but sadly enough, the romantic portion tends to drive people through the edge and causing misguided actions. A lot of good anime too that doesn't focused on romance or have any hints of em in a show tends to be forgotten, despite of how good they were, just like Sora yori mo tooi basho and Yuru Camp last season, albeit had finished airing while Darling doesn't, shouldn't have vanished that quickly from people's mind due to being extremely good in their respective genre. Hell, I haven't seen people talking about Made in abyss for a while either. Fortunately enough, these 3 anime I've mentioned received noteworthy scores and sells despite not being the talk of the town any longer, which I've believed have been caused by the lack of shipping (counting the zero straight shipping possibilities in Sora Yori and Yuru Camp, as yuri ships is still too niche) and romantic elements. Saying those shows were forgetteable? Might be true too, but then again, that's probably just your opinion. All the titles I've seen people kept bringing up for being a masterpiece or noteworthy have always tend to contained love and shipping in it, moreso the straight kind. Everyone must've forgotten about Citrus at this point anyway. My point is, people really just put way too much emphasis on romance and will be forgetting just about everything else there is inside a show if they could, hell, I wouldn't be able to count just how much people there is that believe Subaru is a dipshit for rejecting Rem and fawn over Emilia, despite it actually make sense that he wouldn't gave up on Emilia and staying true to his ambition because of all the pain and frustrations he had to go through to get her, and to save Rem and everyone else too in the meantime. All those developments, gone and destroyed, just because fans can't accept the rejection. Sure, not all romance anime tends to stand the tide of time, but it is usually so often will for a lot of titles.
proper1420

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I think it’s also irking people that THIS plot development is evoking such hate when there are many more problematic and important issues that the show is dancing around

This plot development may be the start of addressing one of those more problematic issues: the apparent fact that Zero Two has killed many partners in her quest to be reunited with Hiro. If so, it's ironic that certain Zero Two fans think it is a reason to threaten to kill people.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
This is the dumbest reason to send someone a death threat. But I disagree that death threats online should
n't be taken seriously. It's all fun and games until someone actually gets killed. That particular incident may not be possible in Japan, thankfully, but angry fans have found plenty of ways to make content creators and talent feel unsafe in real life, especially young, first time seiyuu like Ichigo's voice actress. I hope her agency is taking this seriously enough to watch out for stalkers and such.
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:
I already said this but here is a solution: spoiler[Just make a Zero x Ichigo yuri ending. Problem solved.]

Man of culture right here

As long as that clears the way for Hiro x Goro or Hiro x Mitsuru, they'll get a whole 'nother subset of fans!
Me, I don't understand why Hiro x Zero 2 x Ichigo can't be a throuple. I think I'm too old for 'shipping BS.

Can we go back to how sterile and creepy their dystopia is?
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
So I haven't watched the episode in question, because I dropped this show after like 2 episodes, but I saw this shitstorm a-brewing and decided to look up what happens out of morbid curiosity (thankfully the wiki has very in-depth descriptions) and I think I can say...

That's it? This has got to be the dumbest goddamn outrage in recent memory.
I'm glad I don't use twitter.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Mikasa_su_casa wrote:
Oh, there's a controversy about episode 14? Did the writer pull off something daring and controversial?
*reads article*
Oh, it's just generic harem/love triangle garbage. *facepalm*
Well, now they imitated Eva in another respect, by getting death threats

The problem honestly isn't the actual content of the episode, it's the execution of it. Episode 14 is really, really bad. Embarrassingly bad. It's so bad that if I ever met the writer of the show, I would have to restrain myself from shooting him a look of pity. Its entire flow is completely dependent on fake drama, escalating accidents and characters acting in ways that completely contradict everything that was told to us about them until now.

It's basically an episode of endless embarrassing asspulls that really showcases how troubled the production of the series has been behind the scenes. That a writer would write himself into a corner so badly that he needed to write an episode like this in order to get it back on the track they wanted for it, showcases a series without any coherent vision or direction whatsoever.

I'm not saying that any of the behavior discussed in the article is justified. Actions like those are worth of nothing but condemnation. However, anyone familiar with how embarrassing and toxic otaku culture is would have seen this reaction from a mile away. It is, unfortunately, a pretty standard reaction to an episode of such low quality.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This controversy is split among fans, agreeing with its nature and the other not. This shouldn`t be split.
Rasparr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
The heck is up with people on the internet...?! I don't see anything wrong with this episode. It might as well be the most tense episode we got so far. Wait, what did you say? Ichigo is a selfish bitch? Well, so is Zero Two, but up to eleven. Don't get me wrong, I like both Zero Two and Ichigo and I always go "squeeee!" when there is a cute or funny scene with either of them interacting with Hiro. But it was about time for some drama to happen because the show has been extremely sleep-inducing since forever.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
How's fan reaction in lieu of the latest episode? Is everyone happy now that spoiler[Ichigo helped Hiro reunite with Zero 2? Or does Ichigo have to die for them to forgive the writers?]
Side note: Goro remains Best Boy in this series and probably of both last & this seasons.
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
How can any sane person send death threats over that episode? Get a life!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5