• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote for Their Favorite Male Voice Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm SO shocked not to see Koyasu!! I'm assuming he doesn't have many roles this season, if any at all, but still. He should at least get some votes...

It's quite likely he did get plenty of votes as I remember seeing him still do fairly well in various polls over the past few years. The lean season doesn't help, although as he has the benefit of being one of the archetypal villain seiyuu he could well pop up a lot in a few weeks.

I do miss seeing Koyasu and Morikawa and Midorikawa in these polls. 90s era seiyuu hold a special place in my heart so their absence is a disappointment, though understandable. (Especially when you take into account that Saito and Umehara weren't born when these guys started working in the industry and people like Matsuoka and Aoi were introduced to voice acting through hearing Ishida in Evangelion or Sailor Moon...)
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Koyasu is in a smartphone game I'm playing, and in his interview he muses about how long it's been since he had the kind of role where he has to be seductive and spout romantic lines. Very Happy '90s era seiyuu are pretty much in veteran status now and have a lower profile... well, most of them, anyway. People like Morikawa Toshiyuki still have a significant following, and seem to be getting plenty of work in various media. And I guess with age comes a kind of freedom that they didn't have back then - my most recent favorite Miki Shinichirou role was the Freak in Yondemasu yo Azazel-san, he was an absolute delight to listen to. But I'm sure it's the kind of role he wouldn't have taken 15-20 years ago.

HolsteinCrab wrote:
I do miss seeing Koyasu and Morikawa and Midorikawa in these polls. 90s era seiyuu hold a special place in my heart so their absence is a disappointment, though understandable. (Especially when you take into account that Saito and Umehara weren't born when these guys started working in the industry and people like Matsuoka and Aoi were introduced to voice acting through hearing Ishida in Evangelion or Sailor Moon...)

A tangent but I don't think Aoi has ever actually intended to be a seiyuu... he seems to have wanted to become an idol singer, but it didn't quite work out. So he shifted over to the 2D idol scene. And Umehara's inclusion in the Shizuka Kudo seiyuu tribute album made me grin, especially since the song he performs is Kousa ni fukarete. Was he even born when that song came out? Even Kaji Yuuki, the second youngest in the lineup who performed Blue Velvet (and did a pretty damn good job at it) talked about remembering hearing the song in DragonBall GT.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
'90s era seiyuu are pretty much in veteran status now and have a lower profile... well, most of them, anyway. People like Morikawa Toshiyuki still have a significant following, and seem to be getting plenty of work in various media. And I guess with age comes a kind of freedom that they didn't have back then - my most recent favorite Miki Shinichirou role was the Freak in Yondemasu yo Azazel-san, he was an absolute delight to listen to. But I'm sure it's the kind of role he wouldn't have taken 15-20 years ago.

Yeah it seems that the 90s era seiyuu still once in a blue moon do otome material (though the frequency varies between cases, it was nice seeing that Megumi Ogata is apparently doing a few) but for the most part have the luxury of taking on more 'character acting' sort of roles alongside dub work or games. I haven't seen Yondemasu yo Azael-san but I thought Miki was brilliant as Shimada in March Comes In Like A Lion and I also enjoyed his more ugly acting as a minor antagonist in Mob Psycho 100.

I'm not really a Batman fan but I am totally watching Batman Ninja when it's available thanks to all those veterans Laughing
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I just wanted Hiroshi Kamiya to be in first, and I'm glad he is. I like a lot of male seiyuu though, so I don't mind the rest of the list. And anyone I don't know, I'll probably pick up stuff to get familiar with them~. Time to add to the backlog, yet again. Anime exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2