• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hinamatsuri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
Caramichael wrote:
The shitty adults part of the series is the main appeal of this series, and if you were disappointed by that in these first 3 episodes, oh boy you're in for a ride. The whole philosophy of Hinamatsuri is that adults are shitty, deceitful and dumb, and most of the time the children have to deal with their bullshit while they try to become, unlike them, reasonable human beings.

Then, they eventually become adults themselves.... and then what?

Incidentally, I think it's amusing that Nitta's parental abilities are called into question in this review, when Hina basically blackmailed him into becoming her caretaker. (Become my dad, or I'll destroy all your stuff, and there's nothing you can do about it.) Somehow, that last part wasn't really mentioned in said review.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:27 am Reply with quote
Threatened. He literally feared for his life early on Smile.

Not sure if Caramichael’s theory is exactly the whole point (I think the philosophy may be more about human nature generally than only adults vs. kids — both are shown to have good and bad sides), but it definitely is a major theme.

By the way, people enjoying Hinamatsuri may want to check out Toukyou Hatsu Isekai Yuki, a single-volume collection of tenuously-connected short stories by the same author. The style of humour is similar — quality varies widely between stories but a couple are pretty hilarious.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Caramichael wrote:
The shitty adults part of the series is the main appeal of this series, and if you were disappointed by that in these first 3 episodes, oh boy you're in for a ride. The whole philosophy of Hinamatsuri is that adults are shitty, deceitful and dumb, and most of the time the children have to deal with their bullshit while they try to become, unlike them, reasonable human beings.

Then, they eventually become adults themselves.... and then what?

And then the cycle starts all other again =D

Tbh seeing Nitta shying away from his responsibility hit really home as a lot of "biological parents" aren't that much better when they fail to consider the consequences of having a child. It takes time, it takes dedication and having Nitta struggle between his compassion and his selfishness when dealing with Hina makes him that much more human. We're talking about a Yakuza Bachelor who was content with spending his life admiring his china collection that is forced to take care of a walking disaster. It's not like most other mangas which start with people missing something in their life that they find by taking care of another, Hina is just ruining his life without almost anything for him be rewarded with.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
Imagine if the Yakuza game series was like this. A good and kind Kazuma Kiryu taking care of Haruka who has telekinesis and both are living a nice and peaceful life together. This is a really comfy and funny anime. All the characters are really lovable, especially Hitomi, Anzu, and Utako.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't found the series to be uproariously funny on the level of something like Gamers!, I've nonetheless found the first three episodes to be a constant delight. Will definitely be watching more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This might be the comedy of the year!
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
This might be the comedy of the year!

Relevant location.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This show has been fantastic so far. It fills the role of surprise gem of the season that I wasn’t interested in at all beforehand. Also, I don’t think the complaints in the review are problems at all. Heck, Nitta shying away from his newly found parental responsibilities is like the entire point. I love how the characters aren’t perfect star citizens, they’re just normal everybody folk who try their best despite their flaws. And the bartender thing was freaking hilarious, like legit the best part about that episode. I don’t get why you’d have an issue with it at all. It’s not like it’s depicted as like some traumatic experience. Aside from Lupin and Megalo Box, this is my favorite show currently airing, and definitely the most oddly heartwarming
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Couldn't stop myself from rewatching the first 3 episodes and I just noticed the recurring Namahage gag in school. The scene where you see Hina sleeping through all the classes, I'm pretty sure every blackboard adopts the namahage into that subject, like English class shows a conversation between a namahage and a random boy, and math class draws a demon face on an xy-axis >.> then in episode 3, Hitomi answers a question in class with, obviously, "namahage." Hope to see more namahage in later episodes haha.

Update: Hah, episode 4, Rocksion band ate at the Namahage Empire restaurant.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
OBJECTION! Hitomi is already an indispensable member of the cast. She’s the center of all the best jokes!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I have not read the source material, but this series seems to be going the Kimagure Orange Road road, this episode we all forgot the telekinesis powers aspect of the series and seems the main characters also have (one would think that extracting coins from under a machine would be an obvious use of Anzu's powers) and I wonder if Hina is going in future episodes to do an explosion for lack of working out her powers in the least opportune moment.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 just solidified Hitomi as the funniest character in the show. Her terrible luck is hilarious.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

“One sec, tissues.”

“Get me some, too.”
Laughing Anime cry

Okay, this show is definitely now my favorite new work of Spring after that scene. This series is something else. ‘Nuff said. Laughing
magnuslord

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I have never dropped an anime so fast as I did this one midway through episode 4. I don't need a comedic anime preaching to me. fudge off immediately with that rubbish. Nitta does not owe Hina anything. He is not her dad. He is not related to her in any way. She has cost him tens of thousands of dollars in property damage. He even tried to treat her right, but how does she repay him? Destroys even more of his property. I hate this idea that if its a cute girl, actions do not have consequences. So fudge this show.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 am Reply with quote
magnuslord wrote:
I have never dropped an anime so fast as I did this one midway through episode 4. I don't need a comedic anime preaching to me. fudge off immediately with that rubbish. Nitta does not owe Hina anything. He is not her dad. He is not related to her in any way. She has cost him tens of thousands of dollars in property damage. He even tried to treat her right, but how does she repay him? Destroys even more of his property. I hate this idea that if its a cute girl, actions do not have consequences. So fudge this show.

The show is primarily a comedy. Its not meant to be taken quite so seriously. She may be a cute girl but she’s also a child. Middle school age. And though she destroyed property she meant well. Children’s actions don’t have the same consequences as adults regardless of cute level. Be nice to children isn’t exactly radical preaching. I think we are meant to be amused by her behavior and how put upon Nitta is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6