• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster Hunter Stories RIDE ON Season One Part One

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the very few 20-year-olds who really likes the show, despite not being a part of the target audience. I like it so much that not only did I buy an import of the OST CD, but I actually fanboyed when I saw the Season One Part One DVD/BD's cover and release date on FUNimation's website back in December. And this is coming from someone who doesn't care for the game.

Quote:
the series largely makes it work by creating characters who are believable twelve-year-olds.

This is one of the main reasons why I really like the show. The characters are believable. Even Hyoro and Genie are believable. They're not cookie cutter, slap dash characters that a good amount of toyetic kids anime suffer from (I'm looking at you, Pikachin-Kit, Future Card Buddyfight, and Puzzle & Dragons X).

Quote:
For the most part the show does not feel like an extended advertisement for the game, which is a major plus. The story moves at a natural pace and none of the episodes really feel like specific quests lifted whole hog from gameplay, so you can easily get into this having never played a Monster Hunter game. The one exception to this is the monster information segment at the end of each episode (in lieu of an ending theme), which begins by telling you to get your app ready. It's jarring, but easily skipped if it bothers you.

Another reason why I really like the show. I find the episodes rewatchable instead of feeling gimmicky and ephemeral. Also, what exactly is this "app" Navirou mentions at the end of each episode? Is it downloadable?

Speaking of Navirou, I actually find him charming instead of annoying. Well, except for his Japanese voice. I love his English voice, though.

I know what I'm about to say is trivial, but I applaud the show for not always having the characters sweat whenever they feel uncomfortable (there are some episodes where the characters don't sweat at all). Honestly, I wish more anime could do that kind of art direction.

I hope that the licensing issue the show is currently suffering from outside of Asia could get fixed eventually so that FUNimation could possibly dub season 2. I can't stand the Japanese voices.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
This should be on Disney X-D. The target demographic isn’t getting the proper chance to see it through DVD/FunimationNow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
This should be on Disney X-D. The target demographic isn’t getting the proper chance to see it through DVD/FunimationNow.

I agree. The show would benefit a lot more on TV. I'm not sure if Disney X-D wants any more anime right now since they're already busy with Pokemon and Beyblade (Yo-kai Watch is unclear right now), but if this could eventually result in season 2 getting dubbed, that would definitely be ideal. FUNimation either hasn't thought about this, they don't feel like doing business with Disney X-D, or they tried pitching the show to them, but it got rejected.

An alternate option would be KidsClick. The block is seemingly doing pretty well right now, and they're currently airing Dinosaur King. Therefore, MHS Ride On should fit in just fine. Even though they're booked right now, they should consider getting the show in the future if no one else wants it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1