• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
why couldn't it have the nice simple name Gun Gale Online.

Franchising. Learn about it.
Why do all the Fate spin-offs have the word Fate in the title?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

For clothing I'm saying everybody would chose to wear cloth that function well as cameo, ie if pink is really the best camo color, the main character wouldn't stand out because everyone would be wearing pink. The meta would be established very quickly.

Different areas have different colors. The camo that works well in the desert doesn’t work as well in the city or a forest, for example. Everyone would not all have the same camo as a result. Heck even LLENN uses a green cloak outside the desert area.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:

Well versed but thanks anyway.

Anyone who is a fan of SAO would know what GGO is, hence making the Sword Art Online part of the title redundant. If you took the fate part out of the title of most works to do with it you wouldn't have a clue what franchise they were from.
michizure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
although it's not hard to predict that Pito will turn out to be Elsa.

Interesting question, then: who is M? A male tactics otaku who is personally known to Elsa -- bodyguard? manager? relative?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

For clothing I'm saying everybody would chose to wear cloth that function well as cameo, ie if pink is really the best camo color, the main character wouldn't stand out because everyone would be wearing pink. The meta would be established very quickly.

Different areas have different colors. The camo that works well in the desert doesn’t work as well in the city or a forest, for example. Everyone would not all have the same camo as a result. Heck even LLENN uses a green cloak outside the desert area.

Right, so as soon as people would be in the desert, they'd all switch to pink. In other word the main character wouldn't be known as the pink devil, because everyone would be pink in the desert and as such the actual color of her clothing wouldn't matters.
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Right, so as soon as people would be in the desert, they'd all switch to pink. In other word the main character wouldn't be known as the pink devil, because everyone would be pink in the desert and as such the actual color of her clothing wouldn't matters.

GGO has weight limits. So you can't carry around camo for every environment on you, because you're limited by your STR stat. Most players would rather fill their inventory with ammo and weapons, as opposed to different varieties of (likely heavy) camo.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

Wearing pink poncho/cloak is normal, dyeing your character's pink from head to toes is not.

Other characters DO wear camo, it's just their choice are more general purpose camo than super specific one like LLENN. it's more efficient just to wear multiple ponchos, and wear the usual army clothes underneath than changing your ENTIRE equipment color to match a specific terrain.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Quote:

Interesting question, then: who is M? A male tactics otaku who is personally known to Elsa -- bodyguard? manager? relative?

My vote is on manager.

Nice to see the age-old issue with sao properties where the gamers with hardcore gamer cred find fault in everything non-gamer approved. Sao is about as accurate as any sports anime ever has been, it just uses fantastical game mechanics instead of pitchers that throw 200mph and tennis stars that play with a 1-stringed raquet. Let it go, you'd enjoy it more
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
michizure wrote:
Quote:

My vote is on manager.

Nice to see the age-old issue with sao properties where the gamers with hardcore gamer cred find fault in everything non-gamer approved. Sao is about as accurate as any sports anime ever has been, it just uses fantastical game mechanics instead of pitchers that throw 200mph and tennis stars that play with a 1-stringed raquet. Let it go, you'd enjoy it more

I spent the last few weeks on reddit explaining the so called gamers why things are they way the are in universe. Some took the explanations, other's didn't (i ditched those tbh), but it still gets tiring after a while. Neutral
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
AholePony wrote:
michizure wrote:
Quote:

My vote is on manager.

What? You mean tennis players don't call out the names of their moves as they play? Next you're going to say that special effects like glowing auras, water waves and stars don't spontaneously appear as well.

sarcasm aside, I always enjoy it when people interject their in-the-real-world opinions about fictional settings.

I mean this is a game where you can 'acquire' the rappelling skill which, for some reason, has a fixed descending speed.
Yet if you know how to do it IRL, you can just do it as fast as you can.
While yet again allowing players with high agility to move faster than normal human speed.
So therefore, could player with high agility apply that to their acquired rappelling skill to actually descend faster than normal human speed, thus contradicting the previously stated fixed descending speed?

There are always so many unknown variables in these fictional settings that its almost laughable that people try to over analyze things one way or another instead of just accepting that the author did it to fit the narrative they want.

Is it a sign of bad writing? Possibly, but if the vast majority of the audience isn't affected and still enjoy the story, is it that serious an issue?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
So, was skeptical walking into this but I ended up enjoying this way more than the original SAO series, which I actually dropped after the Gun Gale arc in that series. The main difference is that this series actually feels more like they are playing a game, as opposed to Kirito who just plot armors his way through every encounter. "I'm playing a game focused on guns? I'll just use a sword and dodge/block all the bullets while looking cool and win because I'm the main character". In this series they actually use tactics and follow the rules of the game in order to win. Yes it isn't actually how someone would actually play a game but close enough as far as anime series go.

GGO isn't perfect, few minor nit picks here and there (players don't have the option of choosing their own avatars at all? That seems like it would be a cardinal sin for any online game, especially when you are literally the character via VR) but on the whole I'm enjoying it.
RegisterJustForComment

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
TUSF wrote:

Well versed but thanks anyway.

Anyone who is a fan of SAO would know what GGO is, hence making the Sword Art Online part of the title redundant. If you took the fate part out of the title of most works to do with it you wouldn't have a clue what franchise they were from.

Yeah. For people who don't know SAO, just having 'Online' in the title won't make them automatically understand it's SAO's spin off. That's why they they need to include it as to how people who don't know SAO still can enjoy GGO by itself, but the franchise still need all those people to know that it's the spin off from SAO because SAO is the one who give birth to GGO.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm amused as heck that Gun Gale Online allows Sigsawa to be in his truest element: cute girls and well-detailed guns. Don't have to worry about any parables, philosophies, and whatnot. Laughing

I don't expect any grand story out of this so I'll enjoy the local stories of Karen and her time in the game while she gains more confidence about herself.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

GGO isn't perfect, few minor nit picks here and there (players don't have the option of choosing their own avatars at all? That seems like it would be a cardinal sin for any online game, especially when you are literally the character via VR) but on the whole I'm enjoying it.

Isn't there some IRL game that did that recently? They're outliers, sure, but i'm pretty sure i'm not imagining it...
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:59 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
#844391 wrote:

Isn't there some IRL game that did that recently? They're outliers, sure, but i'm pretty sure i'm not imagining it...

Yeah, I believe Rust does that and I think I remember some people being upset about that. Fortnite Battle Royale at first didn't have any customisation and your character was chosen randomly at the beginning of each match. I'm sure there are others, dunno about PUBG. But in both of those mentioned cases I don't think there were any advantages or disadvantages to what your character looked like. I think it's kinda odd that a competitive shooter game has randomized avatars when there is a massive difference whether you're a tiny loli or a huge dude. I know I'd want to play as a fast tiny character. At a glance it seems to me that whatever disadvantage the small build has is outweighted by the fact that I'd be an unhittable tiny target moving at light speed.

But none of that affects my enjoyment of the show. Watching LLENN own those IRL professionals was fun. Just like it was fun watching a complete newbie destroy GGO's best players with a light saber.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12