• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Blending In

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
i was balling my eyes out when i watched Air #3 couple nights ago...

excellent dubbing by ADV...the emotions flowed through even with language changes...

outstanding job by Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna and Luci Christian...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
bci110

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
Given the negative comments I've read in the other forum about The Wallflower, I'm very surprised that it made it as a Shelf-Worthy title. But I do agree with Bamboo about the volume, though. I was able to view a screening of Vol. #1 at SugoiCon last month and I though it was pretty funny, and yes even though I'm a male, there was enough humorous material in those five episodes to keep me entertained for those two hours of the screening. It also helped that the English dub was very entertaining and well-acted, especially that of newcomer Hannah Alcorn, who was sensational in handling the various mood changes in Sunako.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
I can't seem to find Witchblade2 at BB. I saw 3, and singles of 1 and the art box but no two.

I can't wait to get Walflower. It looks funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Apterous

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Masamune was Japan's greatest sword smith. Swords that he has made are called "Masamune" as well. It's so famous that, stereotypically in an RPG video game, the "Masamune" is the name of the ultimate sword weapon a character can get. Apparently since she is the witch of Blades, it's an appropriate nickname for her.

Of course, I'm saying this anime-unseen since gore and orgasms don't mix for me, but I find this a little more likely than simply another boob pun. I think it's a sword joke with a tiny little boob pun maybe snuck in the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess I make one of those guys that enjoys Wallflower. I saw the preview Greg Ayres brought with him at Nekocon last month. The first episode was hilarious and a lot of fun to watch. I laughed as much as my gf did during the preview. I mean it is being directed by Nabeshin himself so I have no doubts the show will continue to get funnier. Once it hits shelves I plan on getting it.

I just got volumes 1 and 2 of Air in through Netflix and just started disc 2. I can see why people say if you stick with it the show becomes an emotional goo fest. It's setting itself up that way so I expect I will be sadder then a kid who had his candy stolen by the end of this disc and disc 3.

As for Witchblade, as a fanboy of the original comics I can say the fanservice is kicked up a few notches. The bearers have all pretty much been sultry in some way and female sexuality has always been a big factor. The women are always well endowed (though Masane again takes that up a few notches) and when in Witchblade form wearing very little. It's always been that pure action based title with hot females and lots of bang. The anime just takes that sexuality aspect and cranks it up to 6th gear. Honestly I don't think they needed to go as far as they have with that aspect. But it's still a very enjoyable watch for fans of the comic or of action titles.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the manga very much when I tried to read it (got about four volumes in, liked Sunako but couldn't stand the "bishounen" [who I actually think are fairly ugly ^^'] and other aspects of the manga), buuuut I might try the anime...if only because it was directed by Nabeshin. That has to count for something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
buuuut I might try the anime...if only because it was directed by Nabeshin. That has to count for something.

??? Shocked

I didn't know that.

I wasn't even considering this anime, but now I might give it a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin makes The Wallflower a rental at the very least! I enjoyed what I saw in episode 1 on the Newtype preview disc.

As for Air, I rented it recently, and have added it to my "to buy" list, but if I really want to get that depressed, I could just watch the evening news!
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge got a Shelf-Worthy?! That is ASTOUNDING. I have never seen anyone give it above a mildly positive review.

Personally, I love it, but I can definitely see why very few people think it is very good, given that it's extremely cliche, has uninspired character designs, and the art is pretty sub-par. But I'm a bit happy to see someone else likes it.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I cried on the the 3rd volume of Air too. I knew I was being manipulated and it didn't make one bit of difference. I bawled.

But I thought Wallflower was trying too hard to be funny and clever and failing at both. I didn't like the animation style either. I was pretty disappointed and couldn't watch it past Episode 2. I like the manga, but I'm not buying the rest of the anime.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i was balling my eyes out when i watched Air #3 couple nights ago...

excellent dubbing by ADV...the emotions flowed through even with language changes...

outstanding job by Monica Rial, Vic Mignogna and Luci Christian...

Agree with you 100%. Some of the best English dubbing that has been put out in quite awhile. While it may never be good enough to sway purists or subtitle fans, it is defiantly one of the best jobs on the VA's parts to date. For those on the fence between the two, watch em both, you'll enjoy it either way.

Not really into the other two titles, though i may check em out at a later time, once the series are complete.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as someone who has browsed the original Witchblade, I can safely say that fanservice is actually the norm for the American version. The costume itself just screams T&A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen The Wallflower and I have mixed feelings on giving it a try. From what I've seen of the guys, they are the ugliest "bishonen" I've ever seen. But after reading Anime Insiders, it looks like they may not be that ugly in the actual show. And it looks like it could be funny. I may end up giving it a try after all.

As for Air... I actually liked the characters from the Past arc more than the main characters in the present arc. The only ones from the present I particularly cared for were Minagi and Michiru. I have mixed feelings on the ending. I'm a sucker for tragedies, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one. A lot of it is because I just didn't care for the main character's much, and he fact that I knew what was coming kind of muted the punch. But it also felt so... pointless. spoiler[It seems that it supposed to imply that Misuzu broke the cycle, but that was not apparent to me when I watched it.] On a side note, I hate the spoiler[mental regression plot device. Seeing teenagers act like toddlers annoys me immensely.]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Masamune was Japan's greatest sword smith. Swords that he has made are called "Masamune" as well. It's so famous that, stereotypically in an RPG video game, the "Masamune" is the name of the ultimate sword weapon a character can get. Apparently since she is the witch of Blades, it's an appropriate nickname for her.

Of course, I'm saying this anime-unseen since gore and orgasms don't mix for me, but I find this a little more likely than simply another boob pun. I think it's a sword joke with a tiny little boob pun maybe snuck in the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune

Uh, no. The only people who call her Masamune in the series are the old lecherous guy and the photographer-- neither of whom know about her Witchblade abilities.

In fact, the translation notes given for "Masamune" = "big breasts." That's why she gets so enraged every time they call her that.

So in fact, it may be a pun that she's a witchblade wielder, but the original intention is, in fact, "big breasts." Masamune literally translates to "undefeatable breasts."
Nermal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Bleh...not a big fan of The Wallflower, as I lost interest in it by the 3rd episode or so. The male characters were almost too pretty, and I didn't really like seeing Sunako's simplified form so often. While watching it, I couldn't help but think "this is not as good as Ouran..."

I was sad to see Air end...I wished it could have been stretched a little longer, and I felt like I wanted to know more about the characters' backstories.

Nice shelf, Dom. I see you have Paprika!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3