• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
To my understanding the main conflict in episodes 12 and 14, and the reason 02 was being separated from Hiro, was the fear that Hiro will turn him into a monster if he continues to ride with 02 and that 02 might be doing that on purpose. I dont think that this episode addressed those issues in any way, and I have no idea what the show is doing with that plot point. Are we supposed to interpret the scenes were everybody was happy after the battle as that nobody cares anymore if Hiro will turn or that the "saurification" has stopped for some reason?

The structure of this episode was very similar to episode 4. That episode also had a plot where Hiro was separated from 02 but then he realizes that he wants to continue riding with 02 and he fights to get to talk to her and confess his love. After that they get into the robot and beat the boss while having dialogue that obviously refers to having sex, and after that we are told information about birds.

The scene where Ichigo saw into Hiro's mind was all dramatic and stuff, but it shows that everything was actually Hiro's fault. Everything could have been solved if Hiro just told Ichigo that he loves 02, but for some reason he never did. Also the requirements for syncing leading to seeing into to the mind of your partner are unclear. We know that it does not happen every time or Ichigo would have known before episode 10 that Goro likes her, and Futoshi would have known that Kokoro does not like him.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:34 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
It'll likely be saying "boys and girls should get along" (to be highly reductive), just as children and adults are necessary parts of life, alongside humans and other species.

I think what you might be missing here is that a good portion of the people who have already written this show off as a complete waste of time are pretty much resigned to this being the show's message. For fans of theme-heavy shows, that disappointment has much less to do with whether they "agree" or "disagree" with the message itself (as some in this thread have put it), and much more to do with whether this kind of message lives up to virtually everything Trigger has had a hand in over the years.

In terms of the gender politics stuff you're talking about, well... I really don't expect the GLBT anime community to care much either way whether the show ends up "affirming heteronormativity" or whatever. By the time this show wraps up, attentions will likely have already completely shifted towards Back Street Girls-related discussion, followed by Sarazanmai.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
jdnation wrote:
It'll likely be saying "boys and girls should get along" (to be highly reductive), just as children and adults are necessary parts of life, alongside humans and other species.

I think what you might be missing here is that a good portion of the people who have already written this show off as a complete waste of time are pretty much resigned to this being the show's message. For fans of theme-heavy shows, that disappointment has much less to do with whether they "agree" or "disagree" with the message itself (as some in this thread have put it), and much more to do with whether this kind of message lives up to virtually everything Trigger has had a hand in over the years.

In terms of the gender politics stuff you're talking about, well... I really don't expect the GLBT anime community to care much either way whether the show ends up "affirming heteronormativity" or whatever. By the time this show wraps up, attentions will likely have already completely shifted towards Back Street Girls-related discussion, followed by Sarazanmai.

I mean to be fair, I think the extent to which Trigger engages in truly thought provoking themes I feel is kind of overstated by Western fans. I mean, the whole fashion as 'social forces versus individual expression' is certainly THERE in KLK, but ultimately it's a pretty superficial theme that's basically just there for visual puns and lasciviousness on Imaishi's part.

But I think in this case, there is more of a feeling that the relationships/sexuality/gender relations elements MATTER in a way I don't think they quite did in KLK. The issue is as much as they've laid out 'oh these things matter' (Like Zorome's time with the 'Adults'), they've been pretty heavily pushed to the margins lately for the sake of the 'Star Crossed Lovers' narrative of Hiro and 02. And that whole dynamic is a bit weird in itself; what does it mean for Hiro to embrace what 02 is? I don't feel like these elements have been satisfactorily answered.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
I personally hope it sticks to the 'hetero-normative' whatchamacallit. The 'inclusivity' appeal just seems to be a demand for forcing equalism between things that essentially are not equal and can never be; all just to assuage the new climate of social experimentation that the current stage of culture is obsessed with, imagining it can reinvent the wheel. Something the show thankfully highlights that people like to pretend isn't significant.
I think the show is inclusive in the traditional sense of the word but it doesn't promote certain politically correct messages. The people that are hoping for anti-family or anti-marriage messages are likely to be disappointed. Also for radical social ideologies it is less about reinventing the wheel and more about burning the wheel into ashes and than hoping that a better wheel rises from those ashes.
Scherzo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
jdnation wrote:
I personally hope it sticks to the 'hetero-normative' whatchamacallit. The 'inclusivity' appeal just seems to be a demand for forcing equalism between things that essentially are not equal and can never be; all just to assuage the new climate of social experimentation that the current stage of culture is obsessed with, imagining it can reinvent the wheel. Something the show thankfully highlights that people like to pretend isn't significant.
I think the show is inclusive in the traditional sense of the word but it doesn't promote certain politically correct messages. The people that are hoping for anti-family or anti-marriage messages are likely to be disappointed. Also for radical social ideologies it is less about reinventing the wheel and more about burning the wheel into ashes and than hoping that a better wheel rises from those ashes.

I don't think it's that people want it to be 'anti' anything but rather suggest that relationships that are imposed on people are wrong. Though obviously the show is definitely doing a 'red string of fate' thing at least wrt Hiro x Zero Two.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Basically. The underlying theme to everything in the anime seems to be an exploration of the relationship between men and women. In the Franxx, the girls wear that wataboshi-like thing which symbolizes marriage; the central, most pivotal foundation of human life. So, it's about balance, harmony between the sexes, the complementary roles each have, yin and yang, etc.

Well, except for the reveal that the dinos are actually human, and they have like an underground civilization? I dunno. So far its themes have been handled in a very wishy-washy and half-baked way. I think that's what has disappointed everyone.

Last edited by Chrysostomus on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
In the Franxx, the girls wear that wataboshi-like thing which symbolizes marriage; the central, most pivotal foundation of human life.

Nah, the central, most pivotal foundation of human life is clearly a hearty and balanced breakfast.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Basically. The underlying theme to everything in the anime seems to be an exploration of the relationship between men and women. In the Franxx, the girls wear that wataboshi-like thing which symbolizes marriage; the central, most pivotal foundation of human life. So, it's about balance, harmony between the sexes, the complementary roles each have, yin and yang, etc.

That seems overly generous. If you want to find a traditional conservative message, the most that the show has said is that men and women are different and need each other, but all that was already established in episode 1. During the last 14 weeks, the exploration of the relationships between men and women has not developed in any meaningful way.
Songblade7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:40 am Reply with quote
I still really don't get where the "women need to be reigned in by the man" idea comes from. I see none of that in this story, but then again my friends and I have been watching this show under the pretext that it is talking about dysfunctional relationships (and why consensual healthy relationships are important), and all of us seem to have much more faith in the show's themes than many others. For us, all the pairs are arranged marriages, Hiro started off feeling useless due to his inability to get along well enough with his arranged partner, and soon after finds Zero Two, someone that makes him feel useful and that he wants to protect. In that sense, the show started off so hyper sexualized because many dysfunctional relationships start off purely physical, and Zero Two coming from her abused upbringing couldn't disguinish the difference between romantic and sexual relationships and thus abused Hiro the same way she had been abused.

I know I'm only touching the very surface of this idea right now but I'm tired and have work tomorrow so I'll try and come back to this to expand on it a lot more if I remember. I was just trying to voice my confusion at that idea though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I still really don't get where the "women need to be reigned in by the man" idea comes from

From the fact that, when a woman tries to operate the FRANXX without a dude, she goes into berserk, and the robot loses its humanoid form to turn into an animal. Then it'll regain the human form when a man takes the reins and calms the woman down. It's as on the nose as it gets
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
I still really don't get where the "women need to be reigned in by the man" idea comes from

From the fact that, when a woman tries to operate the FRANXX without a dude, she goes into berserk, and the robot loses its humanoid form to turn into an animal. Then it'll regain the human form when a man takes the reins and calms the woman down. It's as on the nose as it gets

It's called cooperation. Franxxs can only be operated when the two sexes cooperate.
Even with the 9's, you still have a male/female pair in the cockpit.
Panayiotis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Eh, at least women can somewhat defend themselves without a dude. In contrast, men are completely helpless in a frannx without a woman. I would also argue that women are more in control of the robot than the man in this show, as seen in the last episode when Ichigo beat up Strelitzia despite Hiro protesting.
Sentinel_Wraith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Sentinel_Wraith wrote:

#3. The vitrol for Ichigo was not that she was trying to protect Hiro, but that she intentionally manipulated the squad and Zero-Two into a position that was romantically advantageous for her. The second that she threw herself all over Hiro and started trying to make out with him while he was utterly broken was terribly wrong and people were rightly offended. The fact she did that right in front of her partner while crying out about how she would only ride with Hiro was wrong. Furthermore, she was perfectly fine with the deaths of the other stamens as long as her guy was ok...and that's not right either.

Again, while this series has been giving some of the issues a pass, it's also important to remember the broken context of the society and the examples set for the characters by the adults.

How was it wrong for her to do those things infront of Goro? I mean yes it was wrong in the context that Hiro was emotionally broken however Ichigo doesn't owe goro anything. Goro and Ichigo are only partners in a Franxxx because they are compatible to pilot together not because they are lovers. In fact Goro only confessed to Ichigo to move past her, knowing since they were kids that Ichigo only looked at Hiro and wouldn't look at anyone else.

Because they were about to embark on a critically dangerous mission and the Franxx's ability to function is directly tied to the emotions of the user. We already have seen Ichigo disconnect with Goro mid-mission because she kept thinking about Hiro. She doesn't owe him anything, but at the same time she could really improved her timing. Luckily Goro is a supportive character and clearly wasn't affected, but he still was forced to call her out about stopping Hiro.

CrowLia wrote:
Quote:

Alternatively, only women are capable of piloting and powering the FranXX solo, and as Zero Two demonstrated in Ep 1 and 15 she's in full control of the mech while solo. In episodes 12 Zero-Two overrides Hiro's imput and takes full control, and in Episode 15 Ichigo is able to completely block Hiro, control her Franxx, and she doesn't revert to an animal "without a guy calming her down". Heck, she even solo pilots Delphinium for a short period with no ill effects. The direct power of the males is pretty limited.

We also get the Nines, where we have the roles reversed or completely changed and it seems to work just fine for them.

I think the bigger implication is that the FranXX mechs are actually converted Klaxxosaurs and it takes the presence of two minds in harmony to suppress the monster.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the Lyrics for the main battle theme, Vanquish, were released and could have some interesting implications for the direction of the story, especially with the Giant Hand thing that appears.
spoiler[

Mother used to say
"You are so special...
No one will shine as bright my dear".
Will I tire of slaying endless beasts that hunt them?
Will the killing rid me of these horns that digust them?
Little demon in the forest all alone
You where there
Now I remember!
Yes! You where there
Come with me now
So ride on my DARLING!
Here comes the sun
I won't shine on us forever
You touched my heart
So ride on my DARLING!
We can win the fight and....
Vanquish my fear]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
do anyone here believe that those "death threats" that was given to the staff are the primary reasons for ichigo's 180 aka her redemption tour?

i sure think so!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
do anyone here believe that those "death threats" that was given to the staff are the primary reasons for ichigo's 180 aka her redemption tour?

i sure think so!

To believe that requires a complete ignorance of the production process and the time it takes. Shows are not rewritten and reanimated in a few days. Things were set in stone weeks if not months ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 124