• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bungo Stray Dogs Season One Limited Edition BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:06 am Reply with quote
I love the limited edition boxset (especially the bookmarks)! The English dub was also pretty entertaining! While I agree that the first season is kind of choppy what with the huge cast, it helps make the second season shine. Getting the cast introduction out of the way in the first season makes season 2 more action and plot focused, so I'm totally okay with that! Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
I love the limited edition boxset (especially the bookmarks)! The English dub was also pretty entertaining! While I agree that the first season is kind of choppy what with the huge cast, it helps make the second season shine. Getting the cast introduction out of the way in the first season makes season 2 more action and plot focused, so I'm totally okay with that! Very Happy

That is good to hear. I've seen plenty of shows where a bigger cast is introduced, but we only get one season so it feels like a wasted effort.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear this isn't a bad release. Really enjoyed the name. The JP cast was a solid A from me
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
So what's the dub like? It doesn't really touch upon it
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I think Funimation does a pretty consistent job of dubbing. Although I really enjoyed Bungo Stray Dogs' dub, I felt like they played it pretty safe. Not that this is a bad thing, I just don't think it stood out as much as some of the other dubs they've done.

That said, I think they picked the perfect people for the characters!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I think Funimation does a pretty consistent job of dubbing. Although I really enjoyed Bungo Stray Dogs' dub, I felt like they played it pretty safe. Not that this is a bad thing, I just don't think it stood out as much as some of the other dubs they've done.

That said, I think they picked the perfect people for the characters!
That could have something to do with it being dubbed by Studiopolis, but thanks for the reply, it is a show that I want to re-watch at some point.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I agree with SailorPluto for the most part. It feels like a dub that played it "safe" so it's good but it doesn't feel like it's trying to stand out like Full Metal Alchemist's or Attack on Titan's dub.

I personally love Kaiji Tang as Dazai and Patrick Seitz as Kunikida. I'm used to both of them playing serious and/or MANLY characters, so I always welcome them when they're allowed to use their range and do something more comedic.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I agree with SailorPluto for the most part. It feels like a dub that played it "safe" so it's good but it doesn't feel like it's trying to stand out like Full Metal Alchemist's or Attack on Titan's dub.

I personally love Kaiji Tang as Dazai and Patrick Seitz as Kunikida. I'm used to both of them playing serious and/or MANLY characters, so I always welcome them when they're allowed to use their range and do something more comedic.
By play it safe, do you mean not stray far from the original script or actors performance and character not differ too much from how the Japanese did it or something else?. I've never seen the dub of AOT, and while I have for FMA, I've never watched it in JP, so I can't compare.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:

Yeah, I really enjoyed this show!

Having a ton of fun re-watching with the new dub, like others have said the casting is spot on and very fun.
spoiler[Looking forward to hearing more of Cherami Leigh's Kyouka, she's done a good job with both her original cold assassin side and the other side that Atsushi is now starting to bring out of her. spoiler[Looking forward to how she voices that moment of fear when Port Mafia tries to force her back and also the rest of her transition]]

Greed1914 wrote:
That is good to hear. I've seen plenty of shows where a bigger cast is introduced, but we only get one season so it feels like a wasted effort.

Yeah, I totally agree, fortunately this has another set of 12 more eps to payoff more of the large cast that's been introduced and also a movie coming, and hopefully a season 3 eventually. That's definitely one of the trickiest things with the transition to 12-13 ep seasons.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
By play it safe, do you mean not stray far from the original script or actors performance and character not differ too much from how the Japanese did it or something else?. I've never seen the dub of AOT, and while I have for FMA, I've never watched it in JP, so I can't compare.

It’s hard to explain but for me “playing it safe” is a mix of what you said (staying as close to the original concept as necessary) but not going all out in trying to make it “dub of the year.” Does that make sense? Like the AoT and FMA dubs, or maybe even the dub of BNHA, felt like everyone was going all out to make sure it stood out as one of their best. .

Bungo’s dub is still good but it’s not trying to be “perfect” so nothing about it really stands out. Like I wouldn’t say any of the characters are the actors “best” roles, but they’re still doing fine. Hence “safe.”
Levonr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:43 am Reply with quote
Well the dub actors can only do so much in a dull show like this but I did enjoy the dub more than the actual show. I thought I'd really like this but it was really disappointing, uninteresting generic action comedy that I'm already forgetting about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 am Reply with quote
Standing ovation.

Except, I would have given it a D for all the flaws you mention.

I have no idea why it's so popular. Or maybe I just see it everywhere because of the new movie?

Atsushi and Kunikida are very attractive, and I love both of their seiyuu, but like... I want to pick them out like a crane game, cuddle them, and put them in a better show. I end up feeling that way about a lot of characters from popular anime...

(vroom vroom)
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
My biggest problem with the show's tone wasn't really that it had slapstick humor or even the tonal shifts. FMA had plenty of drastic tonal shifts and slapstick humor but I think it handled it in a much more successful manner. My biggest problem with the slapstick humor is most of it felt kind of crass to me. Like they kept making jokes about how "funny" it was Dazai kept trying to commit suicide or making weird jokes about whether or not the brother and sister are incestous which I feel makes it hard to recommend the show to more casual fans that aren't used to that type of humor in anime even though it feels like Bungo Stray Dogs is trying to be the type of show that appeals to casual fans more. I do think though the second season really pays off and makes the show worth watching as the second season focuses more on dramatic serious storylines related to the characters' dark pasts. The show is definitely at it's best when it's being dark and dramatic rather than on the light hearted slapstick.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1