• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why Aggretsuko is the Voice of a Generation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idioteva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm a civil servant and I relate to Retsuko on a spiritual level.
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
I have to mention my disappointment with the Netflix show. Seems like a totally 180 from what I've liked about the 1 min short that's been running since early 2016. The Netflix show is mean and none of the characters are likeable, at all. Not even Retsuko. Total bummer gor me as a fan of the short for two years. It's not bad, at all, but not what I wanted from Sanrio.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Well, i'm a good couple of years tool old to be called a millennial and i still loved the hell out of this anime. I would guess that any woman (some men as well, probably) who's ever worked in an office environment should be able to relate somehow.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume this entire column is throwing shade at Zac Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Loved loved loved it. You get pretty attached to everyone through it all. I hope we get another season. For now I shall be content with a twitter full of Hayda.
Emdykay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
You know my major complaint about this was the music.
Would have been awesome if the music was actually authentic, although this is, in the case of Death Metal, probably something I will never see in a tv show till the day I die, and also it´s one hell of a missed opportunity for Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation insert music Very Happy
NickPenrhyn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I keep changing my mind on whether you should binge this or watch it gradually xD it seems like most people downed it all in one depressing cathartic shot though!

I don't know much about Director/Scenario Writer/Natural Death Metalist Rareko, but it really shows that they Get It, most likely from personal experience and empathy, and that's what makes this show so charming.

Retsuko really needs the utter collapse of capitalism Wink
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Aggretsuko is one of the best anime Netflix has put out so far, and my favorite show of the year so far. I've never even worked in an office, but everything about this was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I...Was not expecting pictures of freakishly buff Kangaroos at the end of this. Thanks man.

I love Aggretsuko. I binged it and it immediately jumped to number one in my list of Netflix original anime. It’s feel good enough to keep me happy and entertained, but also relatable in the sense that I wasn’t suffocated from all the cute. I really hope they continue it somehow, even if it feels like a lot of things were wrapped up.

A shut out to the dub because it’s super cute and funny, and a nice mix of popular and lesser-known VAs. Fenneko’s robotic “hahahahaha” is just too good.

Finally, Hayda is best boy. I was glad they didn’t take the easy route and just pair him with Retsuko after her break up with walking potato, but I’m still rooting for him!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I watched the 3-minute shorts before, and I greatly enjoyed them.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Scalfin wrote:
Or maybe it's that I have an office job that requires some education, such that my department culture is influenced by people who are required and trusted to think more than your average transcriptionist.
I've never seen a middle class or above person complain about capitalism. Usually it's from self employed people living off internet work/Patreon or individuals with low-demand degrees stuck in low paying jobs. It comes off a bit like sour grapes from poor life choices.

-Stuart Smith
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Scalfin wrote:
Or maybe it's that I have an office job that requires some education, such that my department culture is influenced by people who are required and trusted to think more than your average transcriptionist.
I've never seen a middle class or above person complain about capitalism. Usually it's from self employed people living off internet work/Patreon or individuals with low-demand degrees stuck in low paying jobs. It comes off a bit like sour grapes from poor life choices.

-Stuart Smith

You do know you don't have to put an attribution after your own words, right? It's kind of assumed.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I...Was not expecting pictures of freakishly buff Kangaroos at the end of this. Thanks man.

For more disturbing fun, just do an image search on "Myostatin-related muscle hypertrophy".
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
But if the pigs are at the top, then we've surely reached late stage Animalism?
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm only half way through, but I'm super glad I'm not the only one who thinks Gori and Washimi are the best characters in this show. Or maybe it's just because I desperately wish I could befriend a couple ladies like that at a yoga class. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2