• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Takahiro Sakurai, Natsumi Fujiwara, Mariya Ise Join Angels of Death Anime's Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote
Honestly I wasn’t expecting the character designs for the anime to look like this. But I like them. A lot. Especially when compared to the art of the original game and manga.

I’m still amazed a simple RPG-maker game like this managed to get both a manga and anime, but hopefully this means that other games of the same vain can be given the same opportunity (Ib, Witch’s House, Mad Father, etc.)
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Honestly I wasn’t expecting the character designs for the anime to look like this. But I like them. A lot. Especially when compared to the art of the original game and manga.

I’m still amazed a simple RPG-maker game like this managed to get both a manga and anime, but hopefully this means that other games of the same vain can be given the same opportunity (Ib, Witch’s House, Mad Father, etc.)

I have high hopes that it will start the "rpg maker" trend, cause the PV for the anime had TONS of views. Over 1 million in less than a month. (thats a f*ck ton for a pv on kadokawa's channel.)

Also, if which's house ever got an anime........ how do you think they would do it? I mean allot of the jumpscares are "deaths" and they can't have the character dying in the show...
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:

I have high hopes that it will start the "rpg maker" trend, cause the PV for the anime had TONS of views. Over 1 million in less than a month. (thats a f*ck ton for a pv on kadokawa's channel.)

Also, if which's house ever got an anime........ how do you think they would do it? I mean allot of the jumpscares are "deaths" and they can't have the character dying in the show...

1 million views!? That’s amazing! I actually didn’t expect Angels of Death to get that much attention. I thought the game was fine overall, but I still prefer the creators other RPG game “Forest of Drizzling Rain.” Now I’m hoping this will start a RPG maker trend cause I would love to see that one get an anime.

And that’s a good point about Witch’s House. The insta-deaths are pretty much the main draw of the game. Honestly I was more thinking more an anime version that went down the “true route” of the game and focused more on the atmosphere of the House than the deaths. But I’m biased because the uncomfortable atmosphere and subtle environment scares were my favorite thing about Witch’s House.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Is "Cassie" the official spelling for the anime? In the official translation of the game it's "Cathy", and her full name is listed as "Catherine", so I think whoever translated the site probably made an error.

If Angels of Death does well, there'll probably be more anime adaptations of RPG Maker games, but I don't know if that's a good thing--most of them are way too short for a full cour, and focus on puzzles and multiple endings rather than a single story. AOD is actually pretty uncommon for being 7-8 hours with only one ending, which I'm sure is why it's the first to get a proper anime treatment (let's not speak of Ao Oni, and Corpse Party is more of a VN anyway). Other games, good as they are, are very much intended to be games, and just wouldn't work in a longform non-interactive medium.

Forest of Drizzling Rain might make a decent OVA, though, given the strength of the story and how well the manga adapted it. But I don't think that'd happen.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
If Angels of Death does well, there'll probably be more anime adaptations of RPG Maker games, but I don't know if that's a good thing--most of them are way too short for a full cour, and focus on puzzles and multiple endings rather than a single story. AOD is actually pretty uncommon for being 7-8 hours with only one ending, which I'm sure is why it's the first to get a proper anime treatment (let's not speak of Ao Oni, and Corpse Party is more of a VN anyway). Other games, good as they are, are very much intended to be games, and just wouldn't work in a longform non-interactive medium.

Forest of Drizzling Rain might make a decent OVA, though, given the strength of the story and how well the manga adapted it. But I don't think that'd happen.

Well if any of these RPG maker games get an anime, I think they will be fine.

Ib

Mad Father

The Crooked Man

Wadanohara

The Grey Garden

Mogeko Castle (secretly wanting this one the most)

To the moon

Lieat (all 3 together)

Pocket Mirror
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'll give you Crooked Man, and I haven't played Wadanohara, The Gray Garden, or Mogeko Castle, so I don't know about those, but Ib, Mad Father, and LiEat are only 2-3 hours long each. They might work as OVAs, but not full cours. The quality of the games is irrelevant--there just isn't enough content in them. To the Moon and Pocket Mirror aren't Japanese, and to my knowledge don't even have official Japanese translations, so it's highly unlikely any studio would ever be interested.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and maybe two years from now there'll be a boom of RPG Maker adaptations. I just don't hold out hope they'd be any good.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
I'll give you Crooked Man, and I haven't played Wadanohara, The Gray Garden, or Mogeko Castle, so I don't know about those, but Ib, Mad Father, and LiEat are only 2-3 hours long each. They might work as OVAs, but not full cours. The quality of the games is irrelevant--there just isn't enough content in them. To the Moon and Pocket Mirror aren't Japanese, and to my knowledge don't even have official Japanese translations, so it's highly unlikely any studio would ever be interested.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and maybe two years from now there'll be a boom of RPG Maker adaptations. I just don't hold out hope they'd be any good.

Aren’t Crooked Man and its spin-offs also American made? I do agree I doubt we’ll be seeing a To the Moon and Pocket Mirror any time soon unless there’s a Japanese fandom we don’t know about.

Wadanohara, Gray Garden, and Mogeko’s Castle are all made by the same person (Mogeko, aka Deep Sea Prison) and they all have pretty intricate stories that I can see being adapted if they just stick with the true end. And they’re long enough they can last at least one cour.

I would love to see a Wadanohara adaptation, because it has the best aesthetic out of Mogeko’s games. And the story is fairly simple but long enough to spread across a good number of episodes. It already has a manga adaptation, so who knows? Maybe it’s next.

For the shorter games you mentioned, I think if they make them OVAs instead of stretching them out into 12-episode anime its possible to adapt it. Personally I would like to see Ib get an anime OVA if someone can pad out the story with proper atmosphere and some replacement for all the puzzle solving.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nah, Uri's Japanese. The English voice acting in the later games was a joint project with her and the English translator, vgperson; apparently she doesn't even speak English all that well herself.

If there was a studio willing to create the new material needed to fill out an RPG Maker game for adaptation, Ib would be on the top of my list. The atmosphere in that game really is top-notch. Much creepier than most shock-value horror games, IMO. But it'd need an awful lot of expansion.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Is "Cassie" the official spelling for the anime? In the official translation of the game it's "Cathy", and her full name is listed as "Catherine", so I think whoever translated the site probably made an error.

We made a guess on the name spellings based on the katakana from the anime's website. But since the official English website for the game has name spellings listed in romaji, we've corrected the name spellings to match those. Thank you.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
Nah, Uri's Japanese. The English voice acting in the later games was a joint project with her and the English translator, vgperson; apparently she doesn't even speak English all that well herself.

If there was a studio willing to create the new material needed to fill out an RPG Maker game for adaptation, Ib would be on the top of my list. The atmosphere in that game really is top-notch. Much creepier than most shock-value horror games, IMO. But it'd need an awful lot of expansion.

possible bad news for Ib getting an anime is that I was google translating the many comments in the video for the PV for "Angels of Death" and I saw many people asking for Ib to be animated but I saw some people saying that the there WAS going to be an anime for it but the creator declined the offer.... I hope that's not true......
futuresoon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Aw, man. But if it is true, I guess kouri didn't think much of the chances of a good adaptation either. It's one thing when you're a fan of something that gets adapted poorly; it's even worse if you're the original creator. Probably there won't be a manga either, then. Oh well. At least the game is always there.
Nephry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:45 am Reply with quote
Weighing in on the "Which RPGMaker game is most likely to get an adaptation next?" debate, I feel that Gokuto Jihen has a pretty strong chance.
It was never too popular here, but it ended up with a pretty sizeable Japanese fanbase. Further, it received (last I checked) a few manga spinoffs including an expanded adaptation of the original game, an adaptation of the official Twitter account, and a short manga collection by various artists.
That said, the original game doesn't have much actual story content. It could work if Gokuto Jihen, Filament, and the upcoming third game in the series were adapted together, if it was an OVA, or if it was a shortform series (although in the case of the latter it'd probably be an adaptation of the Gokuto Shinbun Twitter account/manga slice-of-life spinoff).

Well, it's been a while since I've checked up on the Gokuto Jihen fanbase, but if it's remained anything like it was a couple years ago it has a pretty decent chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1