• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal Gets 6 Sequel Films Starting in 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Great news, always looking forward to more Princess Principal. It'll be on the big screens too and when BDs come out, I think it will have higher visual quality than the TV version.

Looking forward next year!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Six sequels, you say? It seems that Marvel's business practices are having a wide-reaching effect in other markets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
6 films? Thats very ambitional. Depends on the budget for each movie though.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:16 am Reply with quote
The only sucky part is peeps outside of Japan have to wait much longer than the Japanese. But hey, a movie means better-looking animation and a larger story to fit that format. Hopefully the same TV staff returns.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:18 am Reply with quote
Between Shirobako and now Princess Principal getting their sequels as movies, not TV series, hopefully something is going to change with the way anime movies are handled in English. Since they’re rarely available streaming, we’re probably looking at a 3-5 year delay to wait out the JP theatrical release, the JP Blu-Ray release, and then the hold-back period to prevent reverse importation.

Am I still going to care about a movie sequel to Shirobako, a 2014 TV series, if I can’t watch it until Sentai can put out a Blu-Ray in 2021? Doubtful. Same goes for PriPri… the thrill will have come and gone in JP before fans in the West get a crack at it.

What could make everyone happy is if streaming platforms like Crunchyroll were able to license these movies right when the JP BDs come out. That way, you’d have a legit alternative to the inevitable fansubs, but still no disc to reverse-import.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
Excellent news.

@invalidname: Well from time to time, the Japanese Blu-ray will have English subtitles, which does get you the movie sooner, but they are expensive.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
Awesome news and this sounds like it will be the same as GuP movies which are split into 6parts each being 40mins long aka 2episodes and seems like PriPri gonna do the same now atleast thats how it feels like.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
BEST NEWS OF 2018!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am Reply with quote
This has been awesome weekend for anime announcements! Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The only sucky part is peeps outside of Japan have to wait much longer than the Japanese. But hey, a movie means better-looking animation and a larger story to fit that format. Hopefully the same TV staff returns.

Yep, and they often have to resort to piracy.
Calico

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
Six sequels? That seems a bit much...
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
This is great, hope all the movies is successful financially.

spoiler[Ange x Princess! ]

Not really a spoiler above, just for fun.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Amazing news for this wonderful anime about sexy spy girls. I need to watch the rest of the anime soon.

Afezeria wrote:
spoiler[Ange x Princess! ]

Not really a spoiler above, just for fun.

You forgot spoiler[Beatrice x Dorothy! ] Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Between Shirobako and now Princess Principal getting their sequels as movies, not TV series, hopefully something is going to change with the way anime movies are handled in English. Since they’re rarely available streaming, we’re probably looking at a 3-5 year delay to wait out the JP theatrical release, the JP Blu-Ray release, and then the hold-back period to prevent reverse importation.

Am I still going to care about a movie sequel to Shirobako, a 2014 TV series, if I can’t watch it until Sentai can put out a Blu-Ray in 2021? Doubtful. Same goes for PriPri… the thrill will have come and gone in JP before fans in the West get a crack at it.

What could make everyone happy is if streaming platforms like Crunchyroll were able to license these movies right when the JP BDs come out. That way, you’d have a legit alternative to the inevitable fansubs, but still no disc to reverse-import.

There are often theatrical releases before then though. There is still some delay and many fans are not close to a theater that is playing it beyond the widest releases, but some Western fans will likely get a crack at the movies before the physical release.

---------------------------------------------

I certainly wasn't expecting six sequel films, but I would like to see more of PriPri
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

This might not be the case, but CR could get them and release them as anime epi. They did this with "Digimon Adventure Tri".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4