• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal Gets 6 Sequel Films Starting in 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Six sequels? That seems a bit much...

If each movie is roughly the length of two tv episodes, then six movies would be 12 tv episodes -- a full season. They're just being shown in theaters rather than on tv.

We'll have to wait to see if each movie is a stand-alone story (separate case in each movie?) or part of an overarching story throughout all of them.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
It really is Girls Und Panzer all over again
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 am Reply with quote
It is an interesting idea, and it being 6 is good, otherwise it would just feel a bit token only having 1 and not knowing if that is all. And there is nothing written that a TV series can not continue as a film series.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
This is great news! I was hoping they weren't going to leave the story where they left the story.

In the past decade or so it seems like a lot of these Studios have started making more and more of these " film series". I wonder what the requirement is for referring to something as a film? Because, there doesn't seem to be one. Production IG and Sunrise have had similar projects with limited theatrical releases but still referred to them as OAVs. I guess it's just whatever they choose to market them as.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote
I am kind of torn on this. On the one hand more Princess Principal is nice (even though the show has an adequate conclusion), but on the other hand six movies is too many movies. I also suspect these will be short movies like Girls und Panzer, but my problem is how frequent they will be shown.

Still, I want to be optimistic and believe that all movies will be out in Japanese movie theaters by Spring 2020, and that an R1 BD release will be offered by late 2020 or early 2021.

invalidname wrote:
we’re probably looking at a 3-5 year delay to wait out the JP theatrical release, the JP Blu-Ray release, and then the hold-back period to prevent reverse importation…the thrill will have come and gone in JP before fans in the West get a crack at it.

5 years!!! That is an exaggeration. It very rare these days to see ridiculous delays. I buy a 2-3 years delay but not five. I will give you an example: No Game No Life Zero came out in Japanese movie theaters on July 15, 2017, it was shown on U.S. theaters on October 2017, the JP BD was released on February 23, 2018 and Sentai plans to release it on disc on August 28, 2018. That process only took 13.5 months.

And if West fans really like an anime property, the thrill will still be there ever if years have passed. Last time I checked West fans still love FMP.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
Will that cool thats theres a sequel but why are they going lthe Girls und Panzer route
Millhi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Will that cool thats theres a sequel but why are they going lthe Girls und Panzer route

Both are shows from Bandai Visual, says enough. They probably have their reasons for why they do it like this and they probably like this format or they wouldn't keep doing it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:43 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
invalidname wrote:
we’re probably looking at a 3-5 year delay to wait out the JP theatrical release, the JP Blu-Ray release, and then the hold-back period to prevent reverse importation…the thrill will have come and gone in JP before fans in the West get a crack at it.

5 years!!! That is an exaggeration. It very rare these days to see ridiculous delays. I buy a 2-3 years delay but not five. I will give you an example: No Game No Life Zero came out in Japanese movie theaters on July 15, 2017, it was shown on U.S. theaters on October 2017, the JP BD was released on February 23, 2018 and Sentai plans to release it on disc on August 28, 2018. That process only took 13.5 months.

I'm counting from the time of the announcement, through theatrical and BD releases, EN license, and EN release. For example, Bodacious Space Pirates: Abyss of Hyperspace was four years from its announcement in June 2012, its JP theatrical premiere in February 2014, and its BD from Sentai in June 2016. Even if you count from the JP theatrical debut to the US BD, that's 2.5 years. I had long since lost interest in the BSP franchise by then.

I'm still waiting for the 2015 Wake Up, Girls! movies, but that might just be the franchise's unpopularity, not a licensing holdback.

Still, I like PriPri too much to wait years for it. I can't imagine most fans are going to just happily sit on their hands until well into the next decade.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Not sure how I feel since this will take so long to release. I knew there would be more to it I hoped it would be tv series.

I also hope Yuki Kajiura can do the music again.

I'm not too worried about waiting a few years for it. I've waited over 10 for Full Metal Panic IV.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Very Happy I’ve been hoping for a sequel ever since the TV series ended and while I didn’t expect six films, I’ll gladly take it. Great news to start the day off! Also to those saying fans will not care by the time the films are available, it’s extremely likely that those people were actually never all that interested in the franchise to begin with. It’s easily imaginable that fans will wait some time for it. There are several other franchises that have fans still waiting for more of their respective series; I’m sure that they’ll take anything like this news in a heartbeat.
angelmcazares wrote:
(even though the show has an adequate conclusion)

But it definitely could have been better if that ending was truly the one to end the series on and the fact that the last episodes raised some questions that were not answered by the end, so a sequel is a good opportunity to tackle those.
angelmcazares wrote:
but on the other hand six movies is too many movies.

Have you seen into the future and know that six is an inadequate number? I have faith that the staff know what they’re doing for this series and that other than likely having to wait more as opposed to a TV series in order for countries outside of Japan to watch these films, this is overall happy news for the people who enjoyed the series.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad for a sequel but 6 films?!

Wow...
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, having to wait so long for all the movies to be released is less than optimal. (I'm already anxious for the second Girls und Panzer movie to be released; for Princess Principal I expect it will be similar.)

But there is one area in which having releases over a comparatively long time frame might be an advantage: merchandising.

Rather than the show and characters being in the public consciousness for just one TV season, multiple movie releases keep interest in the show going for a much longer time. The studio and producers are making the long-term commitment to the show as well. This makes potential merchandisers more likely to be willing to produce related merch for the show, as public interest will still be present.

So I await with anticipation all the wonderful PriPri merch that I'll be able to add to my collection (no, that's not an avaricious gleam in my eye, you must be seeing things).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
but on the other hand six movies is too many movies.

Have you seen into the future and know that six is an inadequate number? I have faith that the staff know what they’re doing for this series and that other than likely having to wait more as opposed to a TV series in order for countries outside of Japan to watch these films, this is overall happy news for the people who enjoyed the series.

I am not worried about the quality of the movies. I feel uncertain about when all the movies will be out and released on BD in the U.S. Princess Principal was my favorite new show from 2017, and I believe these six movies will be of good quality and enjoyable. But I would be happier if this sequel was a traditional tv series or a SINGLE two hours movie.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
The line is pretty blurred between films and OVAs with certain projects these days. Consider Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and 2202, Gundam the Origin, or Code Geass: Akito the Exiled. All of them had limited theatrical releases followed almost immediately with home video releases, none of the gaps waiting for home video with more traditional films
I might expect similar here. (On the downside, all of those had pretty long lags for US release, though the Japanese BDs have English subs.)
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
woah all these comments!

Didn't think this anime was that popular. I expected a sequel after the way it ended but msn 6 films..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4