• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal Gets 6 Sequel Films Starting in 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see what the problem is here with getting six sequel films. If this plays out similarly to the Kara no Kyokai film series, we're looking at a pretty "epic" sequel series across the span of 2 to 2.5 years
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am kind of torn on this. On the one hand more Princess Principal is nice (even though the show has an adequate conclusion), but on the other hand six movies is too many movies. I also suspect these will be short movies like Girls und Panzer, but my problem is how frequent they will be shown.

I think this is probably a case like Akito the Exiled or Gundam the Origin are really Theatrical OVAs, being around 50 or so minutes long. I think a release schedule of once every 3 months would be good, but with those other series we've seen issues with keeping to schedule on these sorts of projects.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Six sequels, you say? It seems that Marvel's business practices are having a wide-reaching effect in other markets.

6 films seemed a bit excessively ambitious indeed. I would think that only one movie like No Game no Life would be more reasonable target for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
Six sequels, you say? It seems that Marvel's business practices are having a wide-reaching effect in other markets.

6 films seemed a bit excessively ambitious indeed. I would think that only one movie like No Game no Life would be more reasonable target for now.

As someone earlier said, six films could be a way of releasing another twelve (or even twenty-four) episodes. Bandai Visual have already been using this release method with both Yamato 2199 and Yamato 2202 (and possibly others), where the format has been hugely successful (each series being seven films covering a total of twenty-six episodes) despite limited release scope (to the point where with 2202 they've increased the number of cinemas screening the films and the length of the season).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I was really hoping for a sequel TV series instead though. Movies are great but the long waits to see them for non-Japanese, like me, suck ass.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You gotta be kidding me.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Amazing news! I was hoping for a second season, or failing that a sequel film, but 6 movies? I can't wait!

I was dreading the news just being a recap film.

Here's hoping Amazon gets this on their service relatively quick.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:

Here's hoping Amazon gets this on their service relatively quick.

Has Amazon acquired any anime films on their own yet? I think most of what they stream on Prime are licensed from Sentai, Funimation, or Aniplex. They did stream the show, but that was also licensed from Sentai. That doesn’t guarantee that they will get the movie.

Regardless, we’ll probably be in for a long wait, especially those that want to wait for the bluray. I’m pretty confident that the show will be dubbed, so hopefully whoever picks it up will keep the casting consistent.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Scherzo wrote:

I think this is probably a case like Akito the Exiled or Gundam the Origin are really Theatrical OVAs, being around 50 or so minutes long. I think a release schedule of once every 3 months would be good, but with those other series we've seen issues with keeping to schedule on these sorts of projects.

I doubt it'll take that long. Different studios. I also imagine the production values will not be super high. Just better than those of the TV series due to the extra time available.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Still, I like PriPri too much to wait years for it. I can't imagine most fans are going to just happily sit on their hands until well into the next decade.
I am sure many fans will not wait that long, and will find alternate means of watching and acquiring the films.
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's certainly a big surprise.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
WHAT?! I mean this is bloody awesome, BUT WHAT?!

WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?! It's good that we're getting more because the ending was rather underwhelming compared to the rest of the series, and a proper conclusion would be nice, however I doubt we'll get that. Given the episodic nature of the show, I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept it going for as long as its marketable, and honestly I don't see any issue in that.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
woah all these comments!

Didn't think this anime was that popular. I expected a sequel after the way it ended but msn 6 films..

I wouldn’t call PriPri popular, but it is definitely underrated. Made in Abyss overshadowed a really entertaining series last summer.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
HueyLion wrote:
woah all these comments!

Didn't think this anime was that popular. I expected a sequel after the way it ended but msn 6 films..

I wouldn’t call PriPri popular, but it is definitely underrated. Made in Abyss overshadowed a really entertaining series last summer.

The most ironic [I always like to stress this] is that both studios were founded by basically the same people. Yuichiro Matsuka, Masaki Tachibana and Muneki Ogasawara founded Kinema Citrus. Matsuka left the studio and founded 3hz. And Tachibana became a freelance director. Both studios had major works last season. It's a lot of irony!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
I wouldn’t call PriPri popular, but it is definitely underrated.

It must have been popular in Japan, at least, to suddenly get 6 movies after only one season. For various odd reasons, it's still difficult to get male Americans interested in anything with an all-female cast, and it wasn't on one of the favored streaming options. And it was an original anime, something we paradoxically ask for often but don't pay much attention to when we get one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4