• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Princess Principal Gets 6 Sequel Films Starting in 2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
I loved Princess Principal in spite of its wacky premise and setting. So don't get me wrong; I'm happy about a sequel.
But WHY can't they just make a new TV series??!! *Sigh* I suppose they make more money this way.
Kadmos1 wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
The only sucky part is peeps outside of Japan have to wait much longer than the Japanese. But hey, a movie means better-looking animation and a larger story to fit that format. Hopefully the same TV staff returns.

This might not be the case, but CR could get them and release them as anime epi. They did this with "Digimon Adventure Tri".

That would be great, but it would have to be Amazon or HiDive doing the licensing work.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Will that cool thats theres a sequel but why are they going lthe Girls und Panzer route

Both are shows from Bandai Visual, says enough. They probably have their reasons for why they do it like this and they probably like this format or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Maybe this is the future for anime-original programming? Rather than using televised anime to promote manga and novels, use it to promote future movies. PA Works is taking this route with SHIROBAKO as well. Sakura Quest ended pretty conclusively so I don't see it as a movie candidate. Next will be the movie where the girls from Sora yori mo Tooi Basho return to Antarctica as they promised at the closing of the series.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:42 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But WHY can't they just make a new TV series??!! *Sigh* I suppose they make more money this way.

It's not just about money. With a TV show there is always extreme time pressure to have the next episode completed. With a movie, they have more time to do everything, and the animation quality is almost always better as a result.

Yes, it'll take us longer to get all the movies. But they'll probably be gorgeous.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
^ That's a good point! Sometimes time is worth more than money!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

That would be great, but it would have to be Amazon or HiDive doing the licensing work.

Amazon didn't license the series (Sentai did, and licensed it to Amazon), so they wouldn't. As dragonrider_cody noted earlier, they don't appear to have any history of licensing anime films direct from Japan.

Sentai would be the likely candidate, although it doesn't mean that another company couldn't grab the title from them. If there were any "sequel rights" in Sentai's license for the series, it is unlikely they would be written in such a way that anything other than another series would be covered.

The closest analog might be the Girls und Panzer 6 film series that started in early December of last year, and while Sentai has everything up to the original film (and HIDIVE streams them all), it appears they have yet to announce a license the film series.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
For various odd reasons, it's still difficult to get male Americans interested in anything with an all-female cast, and it wasn't on one of the favored streaming options.

And you're basing this on what? For very peripheral anime fans, maybe, but I've not seen an all-girl cast be a hindrance to male American otaku interests.

Really pumped up for this. It was my #2 series of 2017 and I even picked it over Made in Abyss for best of the Summer season. Depending on the spacing of the releases, it's not out of the question that it could get the Chain Chronicle treatment (i.e., originally released in movie form but then streamed in episode form).

Last edited by Key on Wed May 02, 2018 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:39 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention earlier that I’m wondering if Sentai will decide to dub this franchise or not. I personally hope that they will considering the setting.

Key wrote:
It was my #2 series of 2017 and I even picked it over Made in Abyss for best of the Summer season.

I just went back and checked. Wasn’t The Ancient Magus’ Bride your #2 pick for 2017, Key?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kotomikun wrote:
For various odd reasons, it's still difficult to get male Americans interested in anything with an all-female cast, and it wasn't on one of the favored streaming options.

And you're basing this on what? For very peripheral anime fans, maybe, but I've not seen an all-girl cast be a hindrance to male American otaku interests.

Quite true. There is Strike Witches as one example, and probably all those Idol anime too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4