• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nozomi Entertainment's Maria Watches Over Us License Expires

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to watch this series.... I want to buy the DVDs, but I feel that I may be too broke.... Crying or Very sad
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes my theory (and my hope) that this show would be the next one Nozomi would do a dub Kickstarter for. I'll just have my Texas VA fan cast floating around in my head forever now.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
And I was so sure Right Stuf was going to be dub and release it on BD.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Welp, the OVA 3rd season isn't listed anymore on the site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Word on the street has always been that the original author was generally opposed to having her works translated into English, which is why we never saw English translations of the light novels or manga. I'm therefore not that surprised that the show isn't getting relicensed (although I am saddened, since I consider it my favorite anime).

At any rate, 12 dollars per season is a pretty good price, and I'd consider picking up another set if I didn't already own both the original releases and the liteboxes.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
Speaking of an English dub version of MariMite (and English translations of MariMite novels/novellas), is there an equivalent to MariMite's ojō-sama sociolect, which has worked already in the novels in Japanese text-wise, in the States?
Will the American anime home video company hire voice actresses who are Boston Brahmins or English voice actresses who speak the Queen's English?w
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad I got all four seasons (with the nice chipboard boxes) when I still had the chance.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Word on the street has always been that the original author was generally opposed to having her works translated into English, which is why we never saw English translations of the light novels or manga. I'm therefore not that surprised that the show isn't getting relicensed (although I am saddened, since I consider it my favorite anime).

At any rate, 12 dollars per season is a pretty good price, and I'd consider picking up another set if I didn't already own both the original releases and the liteboxes.

well that doesn't sound right. most LN authors wouldn't mind having their version be released in the US if it means their series go mainstream. especially if its not doing so well in their countries. its why they tend to have their work in those limited 12 ep series. i mean its not controversial ala kodomo no jikan or something like that, so i wouldn't see the reason as to why the author would be opposed to having the light novels of maria watches over us licensed in the US let alone have the anime version receive an english dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
Speaking of an English dub version of MariMite (and English translations of MariMite novels/novellas), is there an equivalent to MariMite's ojō-sama sociolect, which has worked already in the novels in Japanese text-wise, in the States?
Will the American anime home video company hire voice actresses who are Boston Brahmins or English voice actresses who speak the Queen's English?w

The Animax Asia English dub of the first three seasons did cast British voice actress Candice Moore as Sachiko, though she didn't use a British accent for the role.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:08 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
I've been wanting to watch this series.... I want to buy the DVDs, but I feel that I may be too broke.... Crying or Very sad

It is always better to be responsible with money in the long run, and so many older titles are getting Blu-rays these days, but once a license expires and isn't renewed, out of stocks become a risk for awhile. I would classify this a niche show for its tone and subject matter, and there is a chance some DVDs might end up in a bargain bin eventually.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:30 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
It is always better to be responsible with money in the long run, and so many older titles are getting Blu-rays these days, but once a license expires and isn't renewed, out of stocks become a risk for awhile. I would classify this a niche show for its tone and subject matter, and there is a chance some DVDs might end up in a bargain bin eventually.

I wouldn't gamble on waiting for a bargain bin. I've seen too many slice of life shows get 3 out of their 4 releases put into bargain bins, while the remaining release goes for over 50 bucks, used, on ebay.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
The Animax Asia English dub of the first three seasons did cast British voice actress Candice Moore as Sachiko, though she didn't use a British accent for the role.

Thank you for the info.
In the anime, perhaps Ms Moore should have spoken in RP, which might have partly conveyed the ojō-sama sociolect feel of the original. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1