• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Steins;Gate 0

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericarreza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:26 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
For anyone who thinks that memories as data is too much of a stretch in this universe, I'll quote Chaos;Head:

Quote:
Everything is an electrical device. Even us. All humans receive information from outside themselves using a combination of their five senses, but about 80% of that comes from sight.

The images we pick up become pulse signals or electricity and are sent to the brain through the optical nerve. Nerve impulses are essentially just electronic signals, so with the right technology you could send artificial image data to someone's brain and reshape their world.

Keep in mind, this is the same universe where people can make their imagination a reality if they subconsciously force other people to perceive their delusions, so it's not at all a stretch to say that human memories can be saved as data. Especially when this universe states that humans are electronic devices.

Hmmm, somewhat similar to The Matrix & Sword Art Online where we could plug our brian from an electronic device & we could travel in a virtual world. Cool

Anyway there's one episode from the latest season of The X-Files where you could talk to a dead person from a virtual app either from a PC, a smartphone or both from this latest sequel of Steins;Gate. This might be possible in the near future but it looks scary, a modern day ghost if we could say that. Shocked
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying this adaption so far. But does anyone else feel like the overall direction and stylistic flair is lacking compared to the original? I know it’s got a new director behind the reigns this time around, but it feels a bit too stiff. The original didn’t have insane displays of animation either but the dynamic presentation really heightened it. Plus maybe it’ll just take some getting used to but the OP and ED imo don’t stack up the the respective original series’ ones at all. Plus, yeah, the slight differences (and more *ahem* pronounced features) in the character designs is something I noticed in the VN and was kinda hoping they’d align to look more like the original designs in the anime but all well, it’s just a minor quibble. Despite those issues the story itself is as good as it was before. The real challenge will simply be how they approach the branching paths of the VN, since it’ll likely be far more difficult to adapt linearly than the original was.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the way the new one's structured. For a lot of it it's pretty much a greatest hits, "Remember all this from the original?" trip, and that spoiler[pays off very well with the ending of emphasizing that no, this is not Kurisu, stop thinking that way.] It's a good way to put in the mindset of the characters.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
For some reason, the second episode gave me vibes of both Chobits and Welcome to the NHK (which isn't a bad thing, as those are both very good shows). There's the whole A.I. thing, and I could easily see Okabe becoming withdrawn from society/overtly attached to Amadeus.

Welp, I was kinda right. Episode 3 and Okabe's already having to be forcefully pulled away from Amadeus.

She seems amazingly real. I'd love to speak to an A.I. as advanced as that one day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm personally not interested in seeing Maho set up as yet another love interest for Okabe

enjoy thinking this way while you can!
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of Alexis appearing then disappearing in that corridor? Might be a red herring, might be a plot device, might be Okabe's Reading Steiner, who knows...
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I gotta ask this-

I never made it past Ep 2 back when the original aired. Figuring It's pretty much required watching if I want this sequel to make any sense, I went back and tried it again, this time I've made it through Ep 4, and it just seems like nothing's happening- at what point does it start to pick up? Or if I'm not liking it by now, should I just give up on it?
I made it through Occultic 9 and Chaos;Child last year, so I thought I'd be okay with more 5pb works...
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
Okay, I gotta ask this-

I never made it past Ep 2 back when the original aired. Figuring It's pretty much required watching if I want this sequel to make any sense, I went back and tried it again, this time I've made it through Ep 4, and it just seems like nothing's happening- at what point does it start to pick up? Or if I'm not liking it by now, should I just give up on it?
I made it through Occultic 9 and Chaos;Child last year, so I thought I'd be okay with more 5pb works...
Trying to remember off the top of my head, I think it does start picking up around episode 6. It is a slow burn, but when it does get started it is a hell of a ride.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
HandofBobb wrote:
Okay, I gotta ask this-

I'd say six-ish is when it picks up speed but the show really slams on the gas at the halfway point. It is kind of a slow show and kind of one that works best on a repeat viewing, but it's absolutely worth it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I checked out the dubbed version of that lecture scene in episode 1, and that was such an awkward and frankly a bad call. I would have figured they would have Alexis speak in another foreign language with Maho interpreting it in English and thus the idea of the scene is preserved. It was surprising hearing Monica Rial speak Japanese though.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:52 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Yeah, I checked out the dubbed version of that lecture scene in episode 1, and that was such an awkward and frankly a bad call. I would have figured they would have Alexis speak in another foreign language with Maho interpreting it in English and thus the idea of the scene is preserved. It was surprising hearing Monica Rial speak Japanese though.

I feel like it's kind of about the best option they had honestly. They were already handcuffed into their work being in the US due to the original series so it'd just raise further questions to have Leskinen inexplicably speak French or something.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
"Judy Reyes", huh? I wonder who among Steins;Gate 0's creators is a big Scrubs fan.
StarchildStorm

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:07 am Reply with quote
Kind of curious how exactly this is going to be structured from here on out. The show seems like it's consolidated down the visual novel a bit and like it cut out spoiler[the point where the plot rewinds to near the beginning and goes in a different direction] and that really screws with what to expect out of the plot structure.

If so though, one change I do definitely approve of is (and this one's a MUCH bigger spoiler so fair warning) spoiler[seemingly dropping the stupid twist of Kagari being Yuki the whole time. That made absolutely no sense in the game and was just there for the sake of a plot twist.]

Also I am utterly astounded they left in that note about monkeys having their brains removed. They did severely trim that down, game was much more involved with it complete with some backstory on the reporter, but that still really goes absolutely nowhere.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I <3 CRT

Yes, I quite enjoyed how that was resolved.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
It seems like this has pulled a Full Metal Panic on me. I mean, you know when you once cared about a series too much, but eventually you grew out of it and now you don't care at all? Especially when the first season had such a satisfying conclusion.

That being said, a mild interest is still there, but it's more like 'meh', or 'let's just see how this goes it's not like I have something to lose' vibe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9