Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese Court Declares Trademark Invalid for Similarity to Doraemon




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Otaku-sempai



Joined: 27 Mar 2017
Posts: 84
Location: Lackawanna, NY
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Animation International, the Shanghai-based company that owns the Doraemon license, filed a complaint the following year, and China's Trademark Review and Adjudication Board ruled that the trademark was invalid. Jiqimao filed a lawsuit to protest the decision in January, reportedly claiming that its image does not sufficiently resemble Doraemon.


Jiqimao's claim is, of course, absolutely absurd. If any sighted Japanese person born in the past fifty years was shown an image of their mascot, it would be immediately identifed as Doraemon. That is without question. But lawyers do what they are required to do even if it's a bald-faced lie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Haterater



Joined: 30 Apr 2006
Posts: 1612
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Know little of Doraemon and the first thing I thought of was that it was Doraemon. Not even trying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Manga
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 817
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
It is literally Doraemon, no questions asked. Those corporation aren't even trying in covering up the trails they are leaving behind, it's utterly insulting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
forexjammer



Joined: 01 Dec 2017
Posts: 127
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
What a disgrace, those people are blinded by greed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
srlracing



Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 78
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Chinese court finding in favor of Chinese company in IP dispute? I. AM. SHOCKED! China has a long history of not only turning a blind eye to IP infringement by domestic companies on foreign IP but even legislating that foreign companies must hand over IP to Chinese companies in order to do business in China. There is literally nothing you can do about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Otaku-sempai



Joined: 27 Mar 2017
Posts: 84
Location: Lackawanna, NY
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
Chinese court finding in favor of Chinese company in IP dispute? I. AM. SHOCKED! China has a long history of not only turning a blind eye to IP infringement by domestic companies on foreign IP but even legislating that foreign companies must hand over IP to Chinese companies in order to do business in China. There is literally nothing you can do about it.


Except that the story is about a Chinese court NOT finding in favor of the Chinese company. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matsushima



Joined: 23 Apr 2014
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
Quote:
Animation International, the Shanghai-based company that owns the Doraemon license, filed a complaint the following year, and China's Trademark Review and Adjudication Board ruled that the trademark was invalid. Jiqimao filed a lawsuit to protest the decision in January, reportedly claiming that its image does not sufficiently resemble Doraemon.


Jiqimao's claim is, of course, absolutely absurd. If any sighted Japanese person born in the past fifty years was shown an image of their mascot, it would be immediately identifed as Doraemon. That is without question. But lawyers do what they are required to do even if it's a bald-faced lie.


Heck, most people in China would probably also identify it as Doraemon. It's quite popular over there too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer





PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, the nation that forever steals others' copyrighted IPs and recolors/redesigns them in a pathetic attempt to make them their own. Never change China, never change. (Though in this case, they didn't even attempt to recolor or redesign him.)
Back to top
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 4016
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:06 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ah, the nation that forever steals others' copyrighted IPs and recolors/redesigns them in a pathetic attempt to make them their own. Never change China, never change. (Though in this case, they didn't even attempt to recolor or redesign him.)


Or say that it was actually a mouse or other unconvincing animal, like they did with the knockoff-Doraemon suit character at that knockoff-Disney amusement park.

Y'know, it's possible, are Communist countries, like post-fall Russia, actually MORE likely to engage in cheap/illegal commercial stunts, because they don't quite grasp the legal pitfalls of legitimate commercial marketing and licensing, and are more concerned with not having to owe other countries for it?
Where the only people who've hit on the idea of "Hey, you sell stuff and get money for it!" are those working outside the state system, and haven't quite studied up on the qualities of business ethics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
belvadeer





PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Y'know, it's possible, are Communist countries, like post-fall Russia, actually MORE likely to engage in cheap/illegal commercial stunts, because they don't quite grasp the legal pitfalls of legitimate commercial marketing and licensing, and are more concerned with not having to owe other countries for it?
Where the only people who've hit on the idea of "Hey, you sell stuff and get money for it!" are those working outside the state system, and haven't quite studied up on the qualities of business ethics.


That's a very good hypothesis actually, Eric. It makes sense when you think about it.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group