• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Anohana

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Also, maybe it's just me but I think that nicknaming a young girl "Anal/Anus" (Anaru) and then going on and on about it like a broken record for cheap laughs is not smart or funny. Then again, this is also Okada's thing.

This complaint kind of reminds me of teenagers going "omg, Uranus has the word 'anus' in it!" I can't stop you from mentally seeing the word "anal" if that's on your mind, but if you can step back and be objective about it, in Japanese, you could just as easily hear it as "Annaroo" (if you want a more Westernized equivalent nickname).

Frankly, languages are different, and it's kind of childish to view things through the "English naughty words" filter. It's on the same level as making fun of a coworker because their family name sounds like a swear word. Like... OK, you know dirty words, and sometimes other things sound like them. Beyond that, it's simply not a thing unless someone chooses to make it a thing.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
SHD wrote:
Also, maybe it's just me but I think that nicknaming a young girl "Anal/Anus" (Anaru) and then going on and on about it like a broken record for cheap laughs is not smart or funny. Then again, this is also Okada's thing.

This complaint kind of reminds me of teenagers going "omg, Uranus has the word 'anus' in it!" I can't stop you from mentally seeing the word "anal" if that's on your mind, but if you can step back and be objective about it, in Japanese, you could just as easily hear it as "Annaroo" (if you want a more Westernized equivalent nickname).

Frankly, languages are different, and it's kind of childish to view things through the "English naughty words" filter. It's on the same level as making fun of a coworker because their family name sounds like a swear word. Like... OK, you know dirty words, and sometimes other things sound like them. Beyond that, it's simply not a thing unless someone chooses to make it a thing.

I get what you're saying, but SHD is right in this case. The original intent was literally "the kids don't realize this means 'anal', but when they grow up, they do." It was intentional. That's why Anaru hates it when people call her that, because she knows what it means now. I kinda thought it was funny, because it was a nice bite-sized illustration of the difference between childhood ignorance and adolescent self-consciousness, but I can see where the eye-roll response is coming from too.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
I get what you're saying, but SHD is right in this case. The original intent was literally "the kids don't realize this means 'anal', but when they grow up, they do."

I think you're contradicting yourself, since SHD was saying it was used for cheap laughs, whereas you're saying there was non-cheap laughs intent behind it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
JacobC wrote:
I get what you're saying, but SHD is right in this case. The original intent was literally "the kids don't realize this means 'anal', but when they grow up, they do."

I think you're contradicting yourself, since SHD was saying it was used for cheap laughs, whereas you're saying there was non-cheap laughs intent behind it.

I disagree with SHD's reaction to it (he didn't like its usage), but my point was that your take, that this was simple coincidence of English viewers reading naughty intent into the nickname, is inaccurate. Japanese viewers were also well aware that "anaru" means anal. So it was meant to be understood that way.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
I get what you're saying, but SHD is right in this case. The original intent was literally "the kids don't realize this means 'anal', but when they grow up, they do." It was intentional. That's why Anaru hates it when people call her that, because she knows what it means now. I kinda thought it was funny, because it was a nice bite-sized illustration of the difference between childhood ignorance and adolescent self-consciousness, but I can see where the eye-roll response is coming from too.

Also FYI it was later revealed that Okada originally intended the show to have more slapstick erotic elements, when the producers forced her hand into rewriting it.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-10-13/writer/anohana-originally-had-slapstick-erotic-elements
Quote:
The anohana writer said her emotions were shaken after learning much of the story had to be changed in order for the anime's proposal to be accepted.

Anaru was probably one of the few elements allowed to remain from the original script.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't recall ever realising Anaru=Anal.... How did I miss that if it was sort of mentioned in the show. Guess I didn't pay heaps of attention, or maybe I'm too innocent
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
I was interested in this after reading the review, but hen you mentioned Aniplex and I noped. Guess this is one of those shows I will have to suffer the poor quality of streaming for.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I was interested in this after reading the review, but hen you mentioned Aniplex and I noped. Guess this is one of those shows I will have to suffer the poor quality of streaming for.

It's available to stream in 1080p on go90.com, which is Verizon's streaming service, and it's also free.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
MrBonk wrote:

It's available to stream in 1080p on go90.com, which is Verizon's streaming service, and it's also free.

Sure, but streaming is limited by the quality of the programmatic encode and the bitrate offered by the site (and whether your own internet can keep up). 1080p streams commonly top out at 5 Mbps, while Blu-Ray discs usually use bitrates several times higher than this, resulting in better picture quality, even though they're both advertised as "1080p". Also, BDs are often authored by a human compressionist (hi Justin!) who can tweak bitrates, filters, etc. to get the best image out of their bits. I don't imagine Verizon gives its streams quite as much TLC.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
The dub isn't even good. And it's not the "average" dub that I generally complain about. I actually find this one to be bad. Menma's voice especially. Ai Kayano is perfect so just stick with her.

Having personal bias for just one Japanese VA does not automatically dismiss the entire English dub as bad.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Quote:
It never feels cheap or manipulative, either

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too jaded or cynical, but I think that in many many places it's absolutely cheap, maudlin melodrama, designed to punch the viewer's "sad" buttons as strongly as possible.

No, I 100% agree with Paul; this show NEVER felt "cheap". "Cheap" is when the creators don't put effort into making you care about the characters. But Anohana's staff absolutely DO.

Using the word "manipulative" is stupid to begin with all media is designed to make you feel something.

If it doesn't, it didn't do its job right. As Doug Walker says "It's film. It's SUPPOSED to manipulate you." lol

"Cheap and forced" is when a writer does something like show a little kid, tell you NOTHING about that little kid, and then making a car kill the little kid as the mother screams so you might cry because the mother is crying because child mortality is sad.

THAT is "cheap and forced."
This is one of my favorite anime and I bought the "big NIS box" quite some years ago. Hearing a dub would be nice....but I don't think worth $120; that's pricey even for me. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2