• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Interview: Stephanie Sheh and Mike Sinterniklaas

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Sinterniklaas?! That is one hell of a name! < 3
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So what's the name of that YouTube channel Stephanie recommended?
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the English-language dub, why they decided just to use the leads of Makoto Shinkai's Your Name as the voices of the lead characters instead of celebrity actors or something? Anyhow... The idea to use Christine Marie Cabanos a.k.a. Madoka Kaname as the voice of Lu is... Something I love. Lu herself reminds me of a Muppet.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Didn't think I'd be hearing a mention of Robotomy today. I remember that show premiering on Cartoon Network, and the quick, unfortunate death it suffered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Speaking of the English-language dub, why they decided just to use the leads of Makoto Shinkai's Your Name as the voices of the lead characters instead of celebrity actors or something? Anyhow... The idea to use Christine Marie Cabanos a.k.a. Madoka Kaname as the voice of Lu is... Something I love. Lu herself reminds me of a Muppet.

The use of celebrity voices in anime is usually reserved for Ghibli fare. e.g. When Marnie Was There. Plus, specifically for Lu, they said that they had a couple months to get it all done- I don't think that you can wrangle anyone you want, even if they'd be willing, on that kind of notice.

I loved the job done for My Life As A Zucchini. I didn't know the dubbing company and was shocked to read the credits.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Stephanie and Mike are just fantastic folks. : )

CatSword wrote:
Didn't think I'd be hearing a mention of Robotomy today. I remember that show premiering on Cartoon Network, and the quick, unfortunate death it suffered.

Same here. That was an insanely funny and twisted show.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
The idea to use Christine Marie Cabanos a.k.a. Madoka Kaname as the voice of Lu is... Something I love. Lu herself reminds me of a Muppet.

I dunno, am I the only person who's watching the trailers thinking "Ponyo: the Teen Years"? Laughing

(Seriously, it's got to be her--No two mermaids could have that SAME creepily unhinged look of cute enthusiasm.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Mhora wrote:

It's Dutch for "St. Nicholas". Thus, you could also say it means "Santa Clause".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Mhora wrote:

It's Dutch for "St. Nicholas". Thus, you could also say it means "Santa Clause".

If you were sentimental for Disney Tim Allen movies, that is.
Otherwise, you'd spell it "Claus" like anyone else born before the 21st century. Razz

(It was a clause in a contract, rent the danged movie!!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1