• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Police in 2 Prefectures Investigate Mangamura Pirate Site After 4 Japanese Publishers File Cri

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forexjammer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
NOoooooooooooOOOOoooooooooooo Where do I get my raw manga nowwwww.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA), between September 2017 and February, users accessed Mangamura about 620 million times. The association estimated that this caused 319.2 billion yen (about US$2.92 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan during that time

So they’re equating each visit to approximately US$5 lost in sales, or the average price of many volumes of manga in Japan. Granted government agencies worldwide can have serious gaps in their logic but didn’t anyone in this association come to the conclusion that a visit to a website does not mean that a sale would have happened if that website had not been there? It’s impossible to prove how many of these visitors subsequently bought the manga they read or how many sales, both foreign and domestic, were generated by people reading the scans there who later bought the compiled volumes or, in the case of foreign sales, were able to get that title licensed abroad due to the amount of fans writing the company to ask for that title.

Honestly, I’m more concerned with the Japanese government wanting the ability to shut down any website it deems harmful. While I definitely approve of shutting down websites that exploit children or incite violence, who is tasked with deciding what is harmful and what is not? I could easily see Japanese companies exploiting the laws as they see fit, such as shutting down a Japanese equivalent of Yelp as it allows people to leave negative reviews of their business.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:20 am Reply with quote
I personally think scan readers to be one of the most annoying thing on the internet, especially for JUMP series where they start posting stuff online 4 to 5 days before the official release date.

Anything to slow them down is a major plus for me.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm with Cutiebunny on this one, it's hard to say how much of an impact it has on sales. In some cases it could actually generate more sales for the creators.

I don't believe in using these sites to actually avoid paying for manga you enjoy but they do work as a good advertisement so you can check out stories first to see if they're worth buying. With prices increasing so much there's only so much money people have to spend on manga or anime so obviously you want to be sure it's worth paying for.

Personally speaking I've found alot of good manga online which I wouldn't have know about before and then gone on to buy the volumes.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
So they’re equating each visit to approximately US$5 lost in sales, or the average price of many volumes of manga in Japan.

If the japanese continue to pursue this inane logic, they should also add $5 USD every time someone leaf through a manga at a bookstore but does not buy it, or everytime someone asks a friend to lend a copy, or everytime someone reads a manga at a coffe shop or similar establishment which have copies to read for free of a manga or everytime someone buys a book at a used book store.

Before someone says "but that is impossible to verify", two decades ago I would receive the same statement if I said people reading scans of manga on the internet.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
So they’re equating each visit to approximately US$5 lost in sales, or the average price of many volumes of manga in Japan.

If the japanese continue to pursue this inane logic, they should also add $5 USD every time someone leaf through a manga at a bookstore but does not buy it, or everytime someone asks a friend to lend a copy, or everytime someone reads a manga at a coffe shop or similar establishment which have copies to read for free of a manga or everytime someone buys a book at a used book store.

Before someone says "but that is impossible to verify", two decades ago I would receive the same statement if I said people reading scans of manga on the internet.

Seriously, it's ridiculous.

Instead of being all self-important about addressing a symptom, how about they sit down and think about the actual problem, that is, the actual reason why fewer and fewer people are willing to buy manga (and I'd bet actual money that what really hurts manga sales as far as the domestic market is concerned are cafés and used book stores, not illegal downloads) and doing something to address that... like, oh, encouraging people to buy digital... by coming up with attractive and affordable digital subscription models and encouraging people to use them...

But nooo, that would mean having to come up with something new instead of being hell-bent on keeping the status quo, no matter how little sense it makes.

(I think I ranted enough about Japan and the digital market in other topics today, but oh I have a lot of Opinions about this.)
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
It makes me laugh how you guys are getting outraged over this. Major manga publishers in Japan are already offering their manga titles in digital format. Just go ahead and visit Amazon Japan and you'll see Kindle version of whatever manga title you like. Not only Amazon Japan, there are other e-book sites offer legit digital manga as well. Manga-Mura is downright piracy site and calling it as symptom of service problem is just ignorant.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
... calling it as symptom of service problem is just ignorant.

It would be "ignorancy", not "ignorant". So, you were saying ...?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1