• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli Holds Farewell Ceremony for Late Director Isao Takahata

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki's face shows an incredible amount of pain. I felt the need to give him a hug (of course, it'd be impossible).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Miyazaki used to smoke around Takahata just to tempt him after he quit? Yikes.

Anyway, I still hate to see him sad like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Miyazaki sad like that and reading his eulogy just breaks my heart. Sad
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
People were angry that Miyazaki was silent after the death of Takahata-san. It was clear to most of us that he was in great pain. Seeing him now, proves this. They were partners in business but clearly also very good friends. The two of them, especially together, have been a fantastic gift to the world. RIP.
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
MIyasaki's face says it all...

My poor little heart Crying or Very sad
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would smoke around him on purpose but he put on a great act that he wasn't tempted

Miyazaki is messed up and I kinda love it.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This got me bad Sad
danpmss

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
Quote:
I would smoke around him on purpose but he put on a great act that he wasn't tempted

Miyazaki is messed up and I kinda love it.

Messed up? It's called a standard friendship interaction, and it's pretty common.
The part about the "great act" just shows their intimacy and how easygoing they were with each others pranks, even towards serious subjects.

I don't see any actual cruelty from these acts at all, and I'm pretty sure none of them saw as such either. Even because he is telling this story as if it was a funny memory they both shared.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Jarring to see Miyazaki and Suzuki like that. Rest in peace, Isao Takahata.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I was choking up right along with Miyazaki while watching the video of giving his eulogy. The two of them really were as close as brothers. This is the kind of a sorrow that will weigh on person for the rest of their life. If the Wind Rises was rather melancholy in it's outlook than I feel Miyazaki's next final, FINAL film will be ten times more so over this loss.
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
It's called a standard friendship interaction, and it's pretty common.

I don't know how "common" it is for a friend to temp you to slip back into a deadly habit.

Then again, maybe they were both messed up, if it's true that Takahata didn't mind. Not shaming either of them though. Messed up friendships are fascinating. Besides, you know what they say: all geniuses are a little crazy Wink
danpmss

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
danpmss wrote:
It's called a standard friendship interaction, and it's pretty common.

I don't know how "common" it is for a friend to temp you to slip back into a deadly habit.

Then again, maybe they were both messed up, if it's true that Takahata didn't mind. Not shaming either of them though. Messed up friendships are fascinating. Besides, you know what they say: all geniuses are a little crazy Wink

He was clearly just trying to get a reaction from him for the lols, and he played along even though he was a smoker before. That's far normal in a friendship, especially a brother-like relationship like these two had professionally. I think you are reading too much into a wicked aspect that really isn't in there, fellow ANN reader.

But again, I guess friendships are subjective overall, and some people would consider a small teasing (surrounding a serious subject both of them knew well and discussed about before) like that a messed up thing to do. I have very sweet friends and all, but I see this as a playful poking, and it happens often in my circles. Anyway, I guess your mileage may vary.

The way he talked about it clearly indicates he saw like that though: just a friendly prank the both of them follow along with.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Were there any accounts of Toshio Suzuki saying anything publicly at the memorial ceremony?
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
As an anime fan that's relatively new (started watching in 2012 officially), I may not really become overly familiar yet with Studio Ghibli's works (much less knew more about the person that passed away and even Miyazaki himself) but I am getting there, and I know that I will have fun in watching their movies. It's sad seeing how painful that face is in the picture, and reading what he said is even more of a heartbreaker. I'll hope eveyone that is bothered by the passing will stay strong with this ordeal.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Seeing Miyazaki sad in the pain on how Takahata died makes me really said, espcially for its eugoloy he made it for his beloved animatormate.

I hope he rest well Takahata, and thank you for an amazing kind of an anime films you've made it for us. We'll never forget it, i did watch some of his amazing anime films, i watched Pom Poko on Super RTL that time and is the most masterpiece film he had ever made.

(sorry for my poor English)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2