• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Comic Girls

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
It might just be another CGDCT but it does have some unique personality and charm. I'm curious to see what makes Kaos-chan 'special' because so far she seems to be awful at everything, not just work related but life in general. It's kind of painful to watch how much of an uphill struggle her life seems to be. That's why the cast of strong supporting characters are selling this for me, so far every interaction has been joy to watch unfold and lead to some genuinely funny moments. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one progresses.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tsubasa Katsuki (a serialized shonen manga artist with a penchant for taking cosplay way too seriously)

*hits head on wooden table* THUD!

Tsubasa is not a cosplayer, she is a chuuni (Like Rikka from Chū-2). Just like Nick Nolte classified himself as a functional alcoholic, Tsubasa is a functional chuuni that sublimates all that fantasy into her manga.

p.s.

Quote:
Ruki and Tsubasa being able to write and draw serialized manga while attending school without the help of regular assistants is a pretty big stretch

This could be explained if Ruki is not doing a series, but isolated stories with a common theme (which is quite common in some *cough*hentai*cough* publications) it means she does not deliver a manuscript each and every month. It is feasible since her wages are not required to pay the rent/services or put food on the table.

If Tsubasa does not publishes weekly but monthly, only does 16 pages and is a genius (which I think it has already shown when she corrected Kaos-sensei mistakes in the blink of an eye) I would call it feasible.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
So far I dislike the protagonist pretty intensely, but chuuni girl is fun. I would prefer more manga-creation insider baseball and less CGDCT.

Amy wrote:
Ruki Irokawa (a serialized creator who specializes in ero-manga despite wanting to make comics for children)

I am slightly less skeeved by this premise, since it is established that she writes "teens love" (TL) manga, which is specifically aimed at women (search Amazon's Kindle store for "TL manga" for many terminally trashy examples). So at least it's something that she would be part of the potential audience for, rather than serving a male audience. But of course the show itself is aimed at a male audience....
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Simply, comfy CGDCT anime with a nice touch of fanservice and yuri. All the girls are lovable, especially Kaos. I am loving this so much.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Simply, comfy CGDCT anime with a nice touch of fanservice and yuri. All the girls are lovable, especially Kaos. I am loving this so much.

John, I hope you don't take offense to this, but do you realize how often you use the word "comfy"? Like, if this was Reddit, I'm sure that more than a few people would tag you as "that comfy guy". Razz

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to watch anything more than the first episode yet, but I liked what I saw.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:

John, I hope you don't take offense to this, but do you realize how often you use the word "comfy"? Like, if this was Reddit, I'm sure that more than a few people would tag you as "that comfy guy". Razz

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to watch anything more than the first episode yet, but I liked what I saw.

And what is wrong with the word "comfy"? Is that the new offensive word that will trigger some internet people? Please enlighten me on that and I will consider not to use it anymore. Do not worry, I will expand my vocabulary next time. I just want to watch a heartwarming slice-of-life anime about cute girls doing cute things. This is a sweet cuddling Ruki episode, by the way. She is my favorite girl of the anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
And what is wrong with the word "comfy"? Is that the new offensive word that will trigger some internet people? Please enlighten me on that and I will consider not to use it anymore.

Oh, nothing's wrong with it, but there's an episode of the Adult Swim show Home Movies where the main character's mother asks him why he likes using the phrase "it's time to pay the price" so much, and he has no idea what she's talking about until he goes back and discovers that it's the closing line of 90% of his films... I figured it might be something like that. Laughing
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
John Hayabusa wrote:
And what is wrong with the word "comfy"? Is that the new offensive word that will trigger some internet people? Please enlighten me on that and I will consider not to use it anymore.

Oh, nothing's wrong with it, but there's an episode of the Adult Swim show Home Movies where the main character's mother asks him why he likes using the phrase "it's time to pay the price" so much, and he has no idea what she's talking about until he goes back and discovers that it's the closing line of 90% of his films... I figured it might be something like that. Laughing

Pretty much. I did not realize that I have been using the word "comfy" too often until you brought it up. Also, that word has been used in many places. Hehe, sorry for misunderstanding you. Very Happy
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Koyume seen frolicking with the cast of Wakaba Girls, film at 11!

https://i.imgur.com/Jie198m.jpg
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Koyume seen frolicking with the cast of Wakaba Girls, film at 11!

https://i.imgur.com/Jie198m.jpg

Nice relaxing beach episode and that Wakaba Girls cameo is cute. Ruki x Koyume x Tsubasa feels like the yuri threesome of the anime.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Is there any CGDCT anime that doesn't have all this needless yuri subtext pandering?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Is there any CGDCT anime that doesn't have all this needless yuri subtext pandering?

Mitsuboshi Colors, Girl's Last Tour, Blend S ... you are welcome.

I like that the Kaos editor is not making her life any easier, it is a jungle out there and only the strong can survive. Also, I am the only one that wants to see more of Kaos terrified face? *tamaranai* I wonder if the final twist will be that Fuura is a yokai making horror manga.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fuura's physical beauty being what ultimately curbs Kaos' fear seems like an odd lesson

I wonder if this is actually a play on the meme floating around where a ghost girl tries to frighten a guy, only for him to turn around and trim her fringe/bangs?
tsukumiyomi

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Going by how seriously they took Koyume's crush, this isn't pandering anymore but part of the main story. Which means isn't subtext either.

Quote:
Fuura's physical beauty being what ultimately curbs Kaos' fear seems like an odd lesson

The lesson is that she's gay, that was a very Kaos-like solution, pretty well done.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Mitsuboshi Colors, Girl's Last Tour, Blend S ... you are welcome.

I like that the Kaos editor is not making her life any easier, it is a jungle out there and only the strong can survive. Also, I am the only one that wants to see more of Kaos terrified face? *tamaranai* I wonder if the final twist will be that Fuura is a yokai making horror manga.

I love that Blend S got some shit for not having any of that yuri subtext nonsense(aside from a certain clip). Especially since a user from 4chan posted this in response to Slow Start: "I forgive you for Blend-S, Manga Time Kirara."
I wonder if Manga Time Kirara can take up the challenge and do another Blend S...without any male leads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2