• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Coin Cryptocurrency Slated to Launch in Summer or Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the controversies about this at all? https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2018/05/14/fans-appraise-geek-cryptocurrency-otaku-coin-with-suspicion/#5119221634a1
and https://socialanigirlrambles.wordpress.com/2018/05/09/otaku-coin-for-the-founders-not-the-community-a-cryptocurrency-to-avoid/

Personally, I think all Cryptocurrency is a joke. Most sites stopped accepting them because they're too volatile and/or have insane transactions fees. More like a commodity than a currency. People will probably just hoard it, hoping for it to gain value (in actual currency). All the vagueness surrounding this definitely doesn't help. I have no faith in this project.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look, it's that scam everyone and their mother's knows about at this point. Laughing
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh look! It's another capitalist's blatant attempt to rip-off anime fans just like "Flying Colors Foundation".
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
You should know better than to post this crap, ANN.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Oh, look, it's that scam everyone and their mother's knows about at this point. Laughing
You're overestimating the community, I think. The vast majority of anime fans do NOT know about this. I was hoping ANN would mention it, but I hoped they'd tell the ENTIRE story, and not just "this is happening".
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
A "currency" given "for free"?
Perhaps they could give me a private jet and a mansion instead?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Callum May said on his Twitter yesterday that they put him on the project in March, but he hasn't found the time to write the article yet.
slusheep

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I did see Canipa's tweet about being approached to write about OtakuCoin and not having time to get to it, which is fine. I think ideally that information should've been passed back to ANN so they could get a writer who was able to complete the piece in a more timely fashion and maybe launched alongside this. Even a lighter Interest piece addressing recent developments like the OtakuCoin tweet that went viral and information that Canipa/socialanigirl have surfaced on their Youtube and Twitter accounts would've been a welcome complement to this piece, which reads like a press release.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
This article is not taking the place of any planned editorial coverage. It's just to get the facts down.

It was my judgment that the suspicion I've read about so far is based on speculation, which is good and necessary, but it's not the goal of our news articles.

I want to give you all the important information I can so you can make your own judgement. If there are any specific details I left out, the best way to reach us is our [email protected] email, but I'll also check this thread, and you can reach me personally on Twitter.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Personally, I think all Cryptocurrency is a joke. Most sites stopped accepting them because they're too volatile and/or have insane transactions fees.

Two problems with traditional currencies that proponents of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies claimed they would solve. I'm not surprised that they wound up being bigger problems in cryptocurrencies, but I am surprised at by how much bigger they are.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

I had not heard about this currency until this article.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
I am deeply disappointed that ANN, with the posting of this article, did not even mention of the suspicion OtakuCoin gives many people. If they didn't know, i think it can be forgiven, but other commenters have already posted links from other places listing their suspicions even Forbes. With no lack of an update to this article informing readers that people feel questionable about OtakuCoin, I will start to suspect that the author of this article, or ANN itself, is not providing quality journalism and maybe even be sponsored by the makers of the cryptocurrency and dont want inform its rather large reader base to any misgivings toward their sponsor, sacrificing ethics for sponsors.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Oh look! It's another capitalist's blatant attempt to rip-off anime fans just like "Flying Colors Foundation".

Oh, look, it's another industry that wishfully confused "Bitcoin" with "Website reward dollars", because it sounded trendier. Rolling Eyes
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
Cryptocurrency is the 21st century version of Tulip mania. I understand the reasons for why it was made but I am very skeptical of it. The vast majority of cryptocurrency fail so it is not that different from gambling.
valoon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
100 billion is a way too high supply, period.
Airdropping it to whatever-holders will result in a lot of shit and not to forget it's Erc20 so they don't even are a coin but call them so.
As an investor I would stay away from this, there are way better cryptocurrencies to invest in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1