• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blak3 Nikos - reviews (spoiler warning)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
Originally posted March 27, 2018

It's been a long time since I reviewed an incest anime. That because whenever there's an anime with that type of genre in it it's mostly going to be seen as either terrible or cringeworthy. The only anime (that I can think of) that made incest look some-what tolerable would have to be Durarara. But when you think about Durarara doesn't technically count. Considering the fact that it doesn't mostly focus on this type of subject (their mostly seen as side-stories.) So here's hoping today's review (Citrus) will actually be the number 1 difference maker in the incest anime genre.

"Yuzu Aihara, a fashionable, spontaneous and fun-loving city-girl, transfers to a new neighborhood and high-school after the remarriage of her mother. More preoccupied with boys and shopping than studying, Yuzu struggles to fit in at the conservative girls' school and frequently clashes with the student council—specifically Mei Aihara, the hard-working, beautiful but cold student council president. As it turns out, Mei happens to be Yuzu's new step-sister and Yuzu finds herself having to share a bedroom with a girl she absolutely can't stand. The series follows the evolution of the relationship between the two girls, with the animosity slowly lessening as the two begin to learn more about each other and confusion growing as Yuzu discovers that she is starting to develop romantic feelings for her new step-sister." (Info by wiki)

Now before I can elaborate how I truly feel about this show, there are 2 things I want to discuss first. 1. The only type of incest that I'm okay with is the fictional kind (but it depends on the age (I don't want to see any loli love) and if it's tolerable.) 2. The relationship that Yuzu and Mei have is incestuous. If both of them share the same mother and father, then their love for each is still taboo. But if your not gonna take my word for it, then take Encyclopedia's ( "Incest taboo: The prohibition of sexual relations between immediate relatives.") An before you try to counter my argument look at this definition of immediate families ("Someone's spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grand children, brothers and sisters, mother in law and father in law, brothers in law and sisters in law, daughters in law and sons in law. Adopted, half, and step members are also included in immediate family." Info by Business Dictionary.)

An I know what some of you are probably going to ask "But Blake why are you making a defending argument that Yuzu and Mei's relationship counts as incest?" Well dear reader that's because I saw two people commenting on Twitter saying that their relationship didn't count as incest because they were step-sisters (and I thought that was bullcrap.) But just in case I encounter some people who had the same opinion as them, I have decided before I make this review and before I watch Citrus I was going to do some research to see if their love counts as incest or not. An what do you know, I found some proof (and I didn't have to use Wikipedia as my main source.)

Now that I cleared those two up, it's time for me to reveal how I truly feel about this show. Citrus in my honest opinion was actually pretty good. This is the 1st incest anime that I thought was both good and tolerable at the same time. Before I watched this anime I thought it was going to suck and the romance was going to be bad because (spoilers) at the end of episode 1. You see Mei kissing Yuzu for the very 1st time (But it turns out there was a reason why she did that.) Plus Takeo Takahashi and the rest of the Citrus team proved me wrong in the end (and I'm grateful that they did.) If you've never heard Takeo before he is the director of both Spice and Wolf Season 1 and 2.

One of the things that I like about this show would have to be the relationship between Yuzu and Mei. I like how the chemistry between the two of them starts of rush and forced (by the way this part can actually be explain. Both of them are teenagers. Their new to the whole love game. They don't know how to fully deal with these new feelings the right and appropriate way. So they decided to go with whatever feels right to them.) To them sort of slowly learning about/getting along with each other the right way as both sisters and lovers. And if either one of them is in danger or in regular trouble, the both of them will always take care, help, and protect each other no matter what the cost is. I have never seen an anime or non-anime show that type of bond before, but I'm glad it did (I'm talking about never seeing that before in both an incest and lesbian relationship.) An the creators of this show did a good job of portraying it.

The last few things that I like about this show would have to be the storyline (just like how I felt about the show, I thought it was pretty good.) The characters (aside from Yuzu, Mei, and Harumi (I thought she was an alright character and a very good friend to Yuzu) the rest were simple.) An the artwork (it looks fantastic. I really admire and respect the amount of detail the animators put for the characters, the objects, and scenery that's in the show.)

One of my favorite characters in the show would have to be Yuzu. Even though at times she can be brash, annoying and stupid. She still a good and kind person who really cares about those close to her (especially her younger sister Mei.) Whenever Mei is going through something bad, Yuzu will always try to figure out what it is and tries to immediately solve the problem the best that she can.

Another character that I liked would have to be Mei. Aside from doing the same thing as what her sister does for her, I actually felt bad for her. Because of her living a strict and conservative life and her father not being there for most of her childhood. She has felt nothing, but stress, pain, and sadness. She also doesn't even know how to express these emotions properly so she decides to keep them bottle up inside. What's even worse is that she didn't have the courage to tell her father or grandfather how she truly felt about both them and their treatment towards her. But thanks to Yuzu she was able to conquer all of those problems and is now able to express herself in a more fitting way.

There are "2" things in this show that I really didn't like:

1. There's this one scene in episode 6 that went by a little too quick. An it's the part where Mei finally tells her father on how she truly felt when he left her 5 years ago. Instead of showing that scene fully the anime decides to skip it like it wasn't important (what the heck?)

2. There's no sex scene between Yuzu and Mei. What the heck were these people thinking? They could've had something good here. They could've received praise from critics and anime fans for being the 1st people to make an anime (that's not a hentai) that has a incest/yuri sex scene. But no instead of doing that, they decided not to put it in there. What a bunch of pansies. I mean when Jamie and Cersei Lannister had a sex between each other, there weren't any problems with that. When Akira and Silene had a sex scene between each other (a 16 year old having sex with an older woman), there weren't any problems with that. But when Yuzu and Mei do it, that's crossing the line? Nah nah nah nah screw that noise I wanna see some HLA (Hot Lesbian Action.) I don't give a crap if the 2 of them are step-sister. The very fact that I and many of the other people who have watch this show was prevent from seeing that scene is an absolute travesty. If I ever get my hands on the people who didn't approve it, oh ho ho ho I'm going to screw them up royally! Starting with you Crunchyroll, you stupid mother.....

Some words had to be cut out due to excessive nonsensical words and inappropriate language. (Not really.)

Jokes aside, in conclusion Citrus is still a pretty good anime with a pretty good storyline/romance plot , 3 characters that was alright in my book, and a fantastic artwork/animation. This show is no doubt the number 1 difference maker in the incest anime genre. If your looking for a good and tolerable anime that has both incest and yuri, then Citrus is the show you need to check out. I'm giving this anime an 8.7/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Originally posted April 5, 2018

On the first week of April 1998, 2 legendary anime's have made their debut. Not only have they made an impact to so many anime fan's lives and the industry itself, but they have also become a household name for companies like Madhouse and Sunrise. Currently this month they have turn 20 years old and I want to celebrate their 20th anniversary by making the best revamp review that I can make. The shows that I'm referring to are called Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Today I will be re:reviewing Trigun considering the fact it debuted on the 1st of April. Then next week re:review Cowboy Bebop.

"Trigun revolves around a man known as "Vash the Stampede" and two Bernardelli Insurance Society employees, Meryl Stryfe and Milly Thompson, who follow him around in order to minimize the damages inevitably caused by his appearance. Most of the damage attributed to Vash is actually caused by bounty hunters in pursuit of the sixty billion double dollar bounty on Vash's head for the destruction of the city of July. However, he cannot remember the incident due to retrograde amnesia, being able to recall only fragments of the destroyed city and memories of his childhood. Throughout his travels, Vash tries to save lives using non-lethal force. He is occasionally joined by a priest, Nicholas D. Wolfwood, who, like Vash, is a superb gunfighter with a mysterious past. As the series progresses, more about Vash's past and the history of human civilization on the planet Gunsmoke is revealed." (Info by wiki)

Before I begin there's something I want to talk about 1st. Ladies and gentlemen, I am happy to announce that this will be my 10th revamp review. I'm very proud of the hard work and dedication I have put in to these Revamps and I hope to do even better in the future (the same goes to my regular reviews as well.) Now that I cleared that out of the way, back to the review.

Trigun is no doubt a really good show. It's one of the few best western-inspired anime out there. I'm really glad a gem like this gain a lot of attention and love from so many anime fans. And by attention I mean only the people in the west liked this show the most.

Yeah according to Wikipedia (so take this with a grain of salt) Trigun wasn't that big in Japan. Some believe that the main reason why was because A. the show took place in the old west and B. that it had only 1 Japanese culture/ influenced in there. An before some of you say "well aren't they picky." 1. I really can't blame them. Not everyone in Japan is going to be into an anime that has so much of our culture in there. Some will give it a try and might like it, while the rest will stick to the normal anime's there use to seeing. 2. We're no different either. Believe it or not everyone in the U.S. is a big fan of anime. They probably find it weird and too bizarre for their taste (and you know what, that's fine.)

One of the few things I like about this show would have to be the themes. There are 5 themes that show mainly talks about. One of them is the many faces of violence and the consequences that come with them. Trigun has done a good job showing so many reasons as of why violence is always brought up. Prime examples would have to be desperation, greed, revenge, and hate. Sure there are times when violence is seen as good useful tool, but it's mostly seen as a negative aspect. Plus they bring nothing, but sadness, pain, loss, and frustration to those who are or aren't involved in it.

The 2nd theme that this show discusses would have to be making hard choices. In this one part of the Diablo episode Vash almost breaks his promise to Rem (which was never take a life) and questions if he should kill someone or not. The reason why this episode is so intriguing is because many of us can relate to what he's going through. Through out our lives we humans will sometimes question if we should break certain promises that we have made with others or keep it. An whatever choice that we make will come with different types of consequences. It's not simple nor is it great, but it's something that we have to deal with through out our daily lives.

(Spoilers)

The third theme that this show talks about would have to be following your own path. Through out the show Vash has continued to keep the promise that he has made with Rem (a friend/mother-figure to Vash.) But during the time he has kept it he's gain so many scars on his body. But by the end of episode 25 after talking with Meryl he realize and decides he can keep Rem's promise and do something entirely different. Which was only kill those who are too dangerous. I feel like what this show is trying to say to it's audience that it's ok keep a promise you have made with someone important in your life, but you also have to do your own thing as well. Otherwise you can never live properly.

The last 2 themes that this show talks about would have to be helping/ spread love and peace to others. I know these messages are seen as temporary or cheesy, but with them people can be able to feel happy, safe, less worrisome. Plus if you do the same for them they'll likely repeat the same process (You see this happen many times through out the series by the way.) Besides without these messages we would all be living in a dark and uncaring world and nobody wants that.

The 2nd thing that I like about this show would have to be the less noise/music moments. Whenever the anime pulls these type of stunts it either mean it wants to show it's audience a cool and amazing scene, a serious and sad scene, or a shocking and tragic scene. A prime example would have to be this one part in Lost July where this woman name Elizabeth confronts Vash for the last time. She asks him why would he save the people of Imperil City and after she gets her answer she feels confused and can't decided if she should kill him or let him live (There's why she asks him that question and feels that way, but I rather not spoil anymore secrets that happens in the show.) The main reason why I like this scene is because even though there are people running by them screaming for joy, the anime mutes them out completely. So that way the only thing your paying attention/ listening to is Vash and Elizabeth only.

The last few things that I liked about this anime would have to the storyline (I though it was great. I liked how it went from Vash spreading love and peace while dealing with regular enemies to a more serious tone where he has to deal with deadly and dangerous enemies. Including someone from his past. The characters (The main ones were both alright and good in my book, while the minor were both something and meh.) The music (was pretty sweet. I love how it both plays normal creative western music and techno music. The two them actually work perfectly with each other.) The comedy (was enjoyable to laugh at times.) An the artwork (might look normal, but it's still pretty good and creative at times.)

One character that I liked the most from this show (no shocker) is Vash The Stampede. Even though he seen as a moron and a pervert at times. He still a pretty cool guy who loves spreading the message of love and peace to everyone he encounters. But If he or (especially) anyone else is endanger, he'll always defend himself and others no matter what. Without kill anyone (Well through out most of the series.)

As much as love Trigun I will not lie nor deceive any of you and not say there aren't any flaws in this show. Thankfully there are only 4.

1. (Episode 15) When Vash opens the door of a saloon he has a happy look on his face, but then for some random reason the scene repeats it's self only this time he has a serious look on his face.

2. Episode 17's pacing was fast. Sure it answered some of the mysterious that this show has (prime example Vash's past), but it never takes it's time with what it's showing. It feels like it's in a hurry to get back to the main storyline. And that's nice and all, but I would prefer if I got to know Vash, Knives, Rem and rest of the crew on the ship. So that way I can fully understand why Knives became the person he'll eventually grow up to be and how much of an influence Rem was to Vash.

3. (Episode 22) For some particular reason the device that was formerly on Zazie's head is back on there. But then a few seconds later it's gone.

4. (Episode 24) Legato "reminds" Vash that he has killed so many people including the Gung Ho Guns and Nicolas. Even though he has never killed any of the Gung-Ho members nor Nicolas. But for some random reason Vash reacts to his response like he's actually done it.

In conclusion even though it has a few errors Trigun is still a really good show with a great storyline, both alright and good main characters, some pretty sweet music, some good comedy, pretty cool action scenes, and a normal, but pretty good and creative artwork/animation. I highly recommend you give this show a try, it's definitely worth the watch. I'm giving this anime a 8.9/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Bonus note 1: The writer who help create this anime was non-other than Yōsuke Kuroda. He's famous for screenwriting Drifters, Jormungand, High School Of The Dead, Episode 1,3,6, and 7 of Hellsing Ultimate, and is the current writer of season 1-ongoing of My Hero Academia.

Bonus Note 2: RIP Hiromi Tsuru. She famous for voicing Bulma from the Dragon Ball franchise and Meryl from Trigun.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
(The following review is my opinion and my opinion alone. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. Everyone is different. With that said let's move on.)

Cowboy Bebop. One of the few notable anime's that help newcomers get into anime. The same show that help Keiko Nobumoto and Shinichirō Watanabe gain a lot of recognition and popularity in the anime industry. The anime that "puts most anime and Hollywood to shame" (Christina Carpenter from T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews.) As for me when I 1st watched it, I thought it was one of the best anime in the 90's. But after rewatching all 26 episodes I have to ask myself, does it still hold up? Does it still deserve the amount of praise and respect that it has gotten in the past and to this very day? Well there's only one way to find out. Here is my revamp review of Cowboy Bebop.

"In the year 2071, humanity has colonized several of the planets and moons of the solar system leaving the now uninhabitable surface of planet Earth behind. The Inter Solar System Police attempts to keep peace in the galaxy, aided in part by outlaw bounty hunters, referred to as "Cowboys." The ragtag team aboard the spaceship Bebop are two such individuals.

Mellow and carefree Spike Spiegel is balanced by his boisterous, pragmatic partner Jet Black as the pair makes a living chasing bounties and collecting rewards. Thrown off course by the addition of new members that they meet in their travels—Ein, a genetically engineered, highly intelligent Welsh Corgi; femme fatale Faye Valentine, an enigmatic trickster with memory loss; and the strange computer whiz kid Edward Wong—the crew embarks on thrilling adventures that unravel each member's dark and mysterious past little by little." (Info by MyAnimeList)

Cowboy Bebop in my honest opinion is a brilliant show. Not only does it still hold up to this very day (and into the future), but I would also say that it's the number 1 best anime out there. The storyline is fantastic from start to finish. The characters are really good especially the main ones (I love how interesting and verily diverse they are.) The music is no doubt excellent (I love the different variety of genres they play through out the show. Especially the main one that they always play (Jazz.) The action scenes are both cool and awesome. The English Voice Actors have done a wonderful job with their performance (I appreciate the amount of effort that they have put into their work.) An the artwork and animation (is both very good and very well detailed.)

Before I continue I wanna thank Yoko Kanno, Keiko Nobumoto, Masahiko Minami,
Kazuhiko Ikeguchi, Shinichirō Watanabe, the voice actors, and the rest of the crew that help make this show a reality. Without these good people Cowboy Bebop would have never existed. They all deserve a round of applause and praise for the creativity, hard work, and effort that they have put into this anime.

One of things that I like about this show would have to be themes. There are 3 main themes that this anime goes over (In actuality there are 5, but one of them is only discussed in 2 episodes and the other could be talked about, but I would have to give away a huge spoiler. An I don't exactly want to do that.) The first one is existentialism ("is a philosophy concerned with finding self and the meaning of life through free will, choice, and personal responsibility." Info by All About Philosophy.) The 3 people that actually fulfill the existentialism quota would have to be Spike, Faye, and Jet. All 3 of them are trying to find some meaning their lives (something that will help distance themselves from their past and make them fill whole again.) But what exactly could that something be? The answer is both bounty hunting and each other.

The second is existential boredom ( "an inability to find not just particular things but all of life interesting. It manifests itself as a mood in which, for no reason you can articulate, nothing seems to satisfy—even things that normally do." Info by Psychology Today.) One of the main characters that can be define by this would have to Spike Spiegel. Even though there are times when he is motivated to capture a criminal with a big bounty, he's mostly seen as a bored person who doesn't give a crap about anything (Not even earning money could fully satisfy him, even though it's still a necessity.) An the reason why he's like that is because of something that happen to him in the past.

The third theme is loneliness, which is something that Edward had to deal with in the past. After being abandoned by her father for so many years, Edward has been driven by the thought of loneliness. She wanted to find someone or anyone to hang out and interact with. So when she heard of the famous Team Bebop, she decided she wanted to join them and their bounty hunting job.

The 2nd thing that I like about this show would have to the 3 main character's past. Through out the series Spike, Faye, and Jet's past plays a huge vital role. It is both their burden and who they formerly were back then. In some episodes they have always encounter something or someone from their previous life. An every time they try to go after or interact with it, they always suffer different types of consequences. I feel like what this show is trying to tell it's audience is that you shouldn't dwindle or think about the past too much. Otherwise negative stuff will happen to you or others as well.

The 3rd thing that I like about this show would have to be episode 20. This the episode where Spike faces he's greatest threat yet, Mad Pierrot. The reason why Mad Pierrot is such big threat is because he has done 2 things that Vicious (Spike's former partner and current arch-nemesis) wishes that he could to Spike. Which is 1. give him a run for his money and 2. put fear into him (Spike has never felt afraid of going up against an opponent before until this episode.) Spike is so afraid of Pierrot that he feels he's like might die fighting him. I could tell you why he feels that way, but that too would be a spoiler. If you wanna fine out for your self then I really suggestion you go and check the episode out yourself.

One of my favorite characters from this anime would have to be Team Bebop themselves. Spike Spiegel: A cool and chill dude who's really good at his job (sometimes) and is a master of Jeet Kune Do. Faye Valentine: a sleazy and rotten woman who can be nice and helpful sometimes. She's also very lucky woman (sometimes) and can no doubt take care of herself in tough situations. Jet Black: A great engineer, a pretty smart guy, master planner, tough fighter, and (just like Faye and Spike) is very determine to catch his prey. Edward Wong: a cute, carefree, weird, and eccentric girl who has a big I.Q. and is a master hacker. An Ein: a cute Welsh Corgi who's pretty cute, very smart, and is a helpful asset to the time sometimes.

In summary their kind of like the Guardians of The Galaxy, but way better. Look don't get me wrong I love the Guardians, but if there was a space team that was better than them, it would have to be Team Bebop. Plus their complex lives, great personality, and wonderful chemistry really intriguing me.

In conclusion I really love this show from the bottom of my heart. It has a fantastic storyline, really good characters especially the main ones, excellent music, cool and awesome action scenes, a talented English voice cast, and a very good and well detailed artwork/animation. This show truly is the golden standard. An if there happens to be a show that's on the same level or is better than C.B., then I would love to see that happen. But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop giving this anime the love and respect it truly deserves. With that all being said I'm giving Cowboy Bebop an 11/10. No, I'm not joking nor is this 2015 Blake all over again. This is the grade I feel like Cowboy Bebop definitely deserves. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Originally posted April 19, 2018

At long last I can finally review The Ancient Magus Bride aka the show that received more episodes than AOT 2nd season. Now don't get me wrong I don't have any huge beef with this show (it's just mostly with Wit.) An besides when I first heard about this show I was actually pretty intrigued by it and thought it was worth the watch. I've also heard some good things about it from Jacob Hope Chapman (one of my favorite anime reviewers.) But I can't always rely on other peoples comments or by speculation, sometimes I need to check it out for myself in order to find if it is or if it's not. So without further ado here is my review of The Ancient Magus Bride.

"Chise Hatori, a 15-year-old Japanese girl, was sold for five million pounds at an auction to a tall masked gentleman. Abandoned at a young age and ridiculed by her peers for her unconventional behavior, she was ready to give herself to any buyer if it meant having a place to go home to. In chains and on her way to an unknown fate, she hears whispers from robed men along her path, gossiping and complaining that such a buyer got his hands on a rare "Sleigh Beggy."

Ignoring the murmurs, the mysterious man leads the girl to a study, where he reveals himself to be Elias Ainsworth—a magus. After a brief confrontation and a bit of teleportation magic, the two open their eyes to Elias' picturesque cottage in rural England. Greeted by fairies and surrounded by weird and wonderful beings upon her arrival, these events mark the beginning of Chise's story as the apprentice and supposed bride of the ancient magus." (Info by MyAnimeList)

This anime is truly wonderful. It drips with so much beauty, wonder, and it does a good job of capturing the audience's attention whenever something important or interesting happens. Plus whenever a romantic or calming moment happens I'm always left with a warm smile on my face. In addition the anime's 1st episode has actually done the one thing that no romance anime's 1st episode has ever done, which is to get me to shed a few tears. Normally whenever I'm watching a romance anime's 1st episode I'm either interested, not yet interested, or not interested at all. I'm really glad I decided to check this show out.

One of the few things that I like about this show would have to be the world of Ancient Magus Bride. I love how it has both a modern day/19th century (with folklore) setting (it's something new and the way how the show balance them out actually makes the show a lot more fascinating.) I also love the beautiful areas that both Chise and Elias travel too and some of the interesting creatures that they encounter throughout the series. It kind of makes me wish I was living there.

The 2nd thing would have to be it's main theme. Which is never give up on life, no matter what happens. Because there is someone or anyone out there who loves, cares, and understands you. In the past Elias and Chise were treated like outsiders. Everywhere they went people treated them like they were freaks and gave them so much disrespect. But a few years later after encountering each other, slowly got along, and started to learn and understand one another. The both start to realize that they need each other, because without that need they would go back to how they original felt. Sad, alone, and don't know how to truly live properly.

The last few things would have to be the storyline (it was both beautiful and fascinating to watch.) The characters (were both interesting and very good.) The music ( was both peaceful, melodic, weird (at times), serious (when it need to be), sometimes majestic, and whimsical. The English voice actors (they have done a great job voicing their roles, especially the person who voiced Elias.) An the artwork/animation (was both very lovely and well drawn.)

One of my favorite characters would have to be Elias Ainsworth (AKA THE BONE DADDY.) Elias is a very good and kind-hearted gentleman whose sometimes an idiot, but a lovable one (plus he means well.) The guy is so nice and caring that he would do everything in his power to make sure that Chise is both alright and safe from any harm. An if she were to do anything wrong he wouldn't get super mad or strike her. He would immediately and calmly forgive her. In summary the dude is pretty cool in my book.

Another character that I like what have to be Hatori Chise. She's both a nice, sweet, and sometimes honest gal whose pretty good at controlling her powers (sometimes.) She's also very caring and helpful to those who are need. Additionally I feel sorry for the pain and misery she had to endure in the past and I'm very glad that she met Elias and many of the other good people who love and care for her. Without them she would've given up on living.

Sadly there were two problems that I have encounter through out the series. I wish I could ignore them and just give this show a perfect 10/10. But I would be deceiving you all and I don't want to do that.

1. (Episode 8) How does Chise and Ulysse (who goes by Ruth now) know the words of how to make a bond between a mage and a familiar official? Elias has never taught her how to do it and I highly doubt Ulysse knows either.

2. (Episode 14) At the near end of this episode we see Chise and Elias talking to this old guy name Ashen Eye (keep in mind both Chise and Elias are standing next to each other.) But then a few seconds later Elias is not seen stand next to her, but then reappears seconds later. WTF?

In conclusion this is still a wonderful anime. It has a beautiful and fascinating storyline, interesting and very good characters, peaceful, melodic, weird (at times), serious (when it need to be), sometimes majestic, and whimsical music, great English VO's, and a very lovely and well drawn artwork/animation. If your looking for a show that will both warm your heart, give you some positive messages in your life, and if your looking for another great fantasy anime, then Ancient Magus Bride can help fulfill all that for you. I'm giving this anime a 9.8/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
Originally posted April 26, 2018

I decided to go back and rewatch/review an old Gonzo anime I both loved and found to be intriguing. It's called Welcome To The NHK. A show that has Otaku subculture, talks about hikikomori, depression, loneliness, and many other dark topics. Yeah it's going to be one of those anime's.

"Satou Tatsuhiro, a 22 year old young man, is a NEET (Not in Employment, Education, or Training) and a hikikomori (meaning acute social withdrawal). He believes everything around him is a conspiracy, including the reason why many people, himself included, become hikikomori. Due to this, Satou creates a strange conspiracy theory which includes the Nihon Hikikomori Kyōkai (NHK), a secret organization with the intention of producing a hikikomori filled world. Satou intends to break free from the NHK's clutches, but cannot, since he finds it too frightening to go outdoors by himself; that is, until he meets Misaki Nakahara, who selects Satou for her "project" that she claims will cure him of his hikikomori ways." (Info by wiki)

This anime is both weird and interesting, but mostly interesting (By the way, no this does not count as a mixbag.) On one hand it's pretty entertaining, enjoyable, and odd (sometimes.) It also does a good job showing some of the interesting facts about Japanese Otaku culture. An on the other it's sad and very relatable, mostly due to the dark topics it goes through out the show. In addition the show's writers and director does a good job of showing the mind and life of a Hikikomori.

One of the things that I love about this anime would have to be some of the main themes that it goes over. The 1st would have to be loneliness. Ever since high school Sato has always felt this way, generally because he feels like no one actually truly cares or relate to him. An deep down inside whether he wants to admit this to himself or not he really does hope that there's someone out there who will reach to him and be there for him in his time of need. Misaki goes through the same problem as well even though her situation is different. An unlike Sato she knows that she needs someone in her life to be there for and help her with problems she's going through (she just has hard time admitting to the person she wants in her life.)

The 2nd would have to be depression. Hitomi (Sato's Senpai) goes through this problem through out the series. In the show Hitomi is mostly seen as sad person (even if she feels or looks like she's got her life together.) The main reason why she's like this way is due to her boyfriend not being fully devoted to her and is mostly married to his job, her superior at her work (pardon my french) is always a total douche to her and makes her work harder for no apparent reason, and majority of her co-workers both hate and talks trash behind her back. She tries solving these problems by drinking and doing hard drugs, but they only distract her for a short-period of a time until she wakes up back to the hard and cruel reality that she lives in.

The third is denial. People love to blame certain things or fictional stuff whenever something bad happens in the world or to themselves. The reason is mostly because it's easy to accept or swallow and gives them some "clarity" in their life. A character that mostly relates to this problem is Sato. Whenever something bad happens to him he always thinks it's a conspiracy and blames all of his problems to this fake evil organization called the NHK. It's pretty sad and pathetic, but just like I said earlier it's more easy to accept or swallow.

The fourth is suicide. The show does a great job showing/discussing this topic. It also does great job showing some positive examples of why you shouldn't go through with it. Another thing that I like is that instead of doing some of the weird and stupid antics that this show does sometimes, it's always and mostly taken seriously. I can't tell you what happens, how they did it, or how it's resolve in full detail because it's best for you to hear and watch for yourself. Also because I don't want to spoil the moments for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

The last few things would have to be the storyline (I thought it was pretty good.) The characters (half of them were sympathetic and good, the rest were ok.) The music (I thought it was fine.) The English voice actors (they did good job with voicing their roles.) An the artwork and animation (It was alright, even though the artwork was kind of lacking for the characters in this one part of episode 18.)

One of the characters that I like about this show would have to be Sato. Even though he's an idiot, a jerk (at times), makes a lot of mistakes through out his life, and is the one that's solely to blame that he's living a hikikomori life. He can be nice (at times) and I do feel sorry and understand his problem. Plus he tries he's best to make up for his mistakes by fixing them (and I do respect characters that tries to be better than their original terrible self.)

Another character that I like would have to be Misaki. She's a very nice, sweet, and good girl who tries her hardest to help Sato with his hikikomori problem. Even though in the beginning of the series she was a bit of a mixbag, she later on became a lot more likable and understandable as well. I also feel sorry that she lived a horrible life in the past and glad that she found someone who can help her through the situations that she's dealing with. In addition I'm glad the anime made her more of sympathetic character than the manga did. Because according the wiki "she appears more sarcastic and doesn't hesitate to reprimand Tatsuhiro, even showing a more manipulative, and controlling side." Can you imagine if the anime decided to let her have these personalities? It would be pretty hard to like her.

In conclusion Welcome To The NHK is both a weird, but mostly an interesting show. It has a pretty good storyline, some sympathetic and good characters, fine music, good English VO's, and an alright animation/artwork. If your going through any of the problems that this show goes over or are curious in checking this show out, then I really recommend you go and give this show a shot. I'm giving this anime a 8.9/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 1, 2018

This week I'm going to be reviewing a show that has something to do with.... GEM PEOPLE. An before you saying anything no I'm not reviewing Steven Universe, no this show is not a rip-off of Steven Universe, nor was it inspired or influence by it either. Anyway the show that I'm actually reviewing is called Land of The Lustrous or if you prefer it's alternate name Country of Jewels. Not only is it one of the most notable anime's that has debuted in 2017, but it has also been praised for it's visuals, CG, and 3D animation. But there are 2 questions that I gotta know. 1. Is worth the watch? and 2. Is the animation really that good as people and critics praise it to be.

Because the last 3D anime that I saw was Ajin and their animation was pretty bad. But who knows? Maybe I have nothing to worry about and the animation is actually that good. But I won't know unless I find out for myself. So here is my review of Country of Jewels.

"In a world inhabited by crystalline lifeforms called The Lustrous, every unique gem must fight for their way of life against the threat of lunarians who would turn them into decorations. Phosphophyllite, the most fragile and brittle of gems, longs to join the battle. When Phos is instead assigned to complete a natural history of their world, it sounds like a dull and pointless task. But this new job brings Phos into contact with Cinnabar, a gem forced to live in isolation." (Info by anime news network)

(Note: Majority of the Lustrous creatures excluding Master Kongō are gender-less. So out of respect of the author I will on use the pronouns they, their, and them.

I gotta say this show wasn't just all talk. It's both pretty good and actually worth the watch. Now the first time I found out about this show's existences I thought it was going to be an anime version of Steven Universe, so I decided to ignore it and move on with my life. However after doing some thinking and decided to give all 12 episodes a shot. I ended up having a good time watching it (and I don't regret it one bit.)

One of things that I love about this show would have to be the world-building. During the time when your following along the storyline you get to learn a lot of interesting information about the Lustrous, their world, the creatures that live among, especially some info about the creatures that are "not from their world." I can't tell what I mean by that exactly because then I would be spoiling an important part of the storyline. All I'm gonna say is check out episode 4 it will explain what I mean.

The 2nd thing would have to be the artwork and animation. The people and critics who gave huge props to this weren't even kidding. The two of them are truly wonderful. The animation (even though the characters movement can be a bit laggy at times) is pretty fantastic. Most of the time they move exactly like how good 2D animation characters should move, which is a good normal pace. An whenever you see an action scene it looks cool and intriguing. As for the artwork it looks absolutely beautiful. Whenever you look at the area where the characters travel to or when your look at the characters themselves they always have a stunning look. Also whenever the Lustrous smash any of their body parts it both looks weird and gorgeous at the same time (I can definitely see why this won Best Animation in the Crunchyroll Awards.)

The last few things would have to be the storyline (it was good.) The characters (They were both very dissimilar and interesting at the same time.) An the music (was both very lovely, melodic, strange (at times), and intense (when It need to be.)

My favorite character would have to Phos. Even though their an airhead, are clumsy, and has a hard time following instructions. I still them to be adorable, sweet, and an enjoy presence in the anime. Plus they try their hardest to help others in need especially to Cinnabar (who is treated like an outcast because of her powerful poison.) In addition they make up for their flaws by adapting into a better/more useful jewel. But those adaptions come with some bad consequences. Nonetheless I still see her as a good character (flaws or no flaws.)

Unfortunately I have found 2 downsides that I didn't like about this anime and those would be this:

1. The main antagonist doesn't appear in the anime. Whenever there's a protagonist there always has to be a main antagonist for the pro to go up against (depending on what type of show or book it is.) You can't just have the main the pro and their allies go up against regular or difficult minions all the time. Otherwise your show won't be all that interesting because it's lacking something important.

Bonus note: There is a main reason as of why the main antagonist doesn't appear in the show. It's mostly because LOTL the series debuted before the release of Volume 8 (the main anti debuts in that volume.) In my opinion I feel like the director of this anime should've waited until all 10 volumes were out. That way him and his crew would have a lot to put in there.

(Spoiler on this part and this part only.)

2. Episode 12. The last episode was of kind of a disappointment. It was mainly about Phos trying to seek out more info about the Lunarians, but they end up finding nothing, that's it. Nothing else really interesting or important happens in this episode (unless you call Phos finally finding a job that Cinnabar could actually do important.) Also you never get to find about the relationship between Kongō and Lunarians (the Lustrous enemy) (In episode 3, 9, and 11 you find out that Lunarians have a special attraction to Kongō.)

What makes it even worse is that there is no news or word of this show getting a 2nd season (which this anime definitely needs.) So the only way to find the answers to what your looking for or if you want more LOTL is by reading the manga.

In conclusion even though this anime had 2 big disappointments, I still like it. It has a good storyline (excpet for the ending), very dissimilar and interesting characters, very lovely, melodic, strange (at times), and intense (when It need to be) music, good world-building, pretty fantastic animation, and a absolutely beautiful artwork. If your still considering in checking this show out then by all means go for it. I'm giving Country of Jewels an 8.6/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 8th, 2018

Ya know guys and gals it has been a year since I reviewed Overlord season 1. But now that it's 2nd season is finally out and fully released I cannot wait to give my full honest opinion on it. Now if I remember correctly I loved season 1 for it's pretty good storyline, 1 great and some alright characters, a well drawn artwork, and some good and 1 cool action scene. I also remember not liking 2 specific problems that the 1st season had. But enough about the past, let's see if season 2 can outshine what season 1 did and hopefully it won't be making any new or the same mistakes as well.

"Since appearing in another world, Ains has sent out daily commands as the ruler of the Great Tomb of Nazarick. He also maintains his alter-ego Momon, the strongest adventurer in E-Rantel, to gather funds and keep an ear to the ground. He sets out on quests considered suitable for a adamantite class adventurer, like defeating the Gigant Basilisk. Meanwhile, Ains returns to Nazarick and asks Albedo for a full status report." (There's more to it than this by the way.) (Info by wiki)

Season 2 was both sadly and sort of a mixbag. There wasn't a lot of interesting or pretty cool stuff that happen there. The only thing that this season could only provide was two side stories. The 1st was the Lizard men story arc, which was ok and the 8 fingers story arc, which was dry until it got a little bit better when you get to episode 11-12 (13 was ok, but nothing much happen there.) Plus the anime still hasn't given any answers or at least hints as of who was behind the recreation of Yggdrasil and why the main protagonist is stuck as his avatar character. This is pretty disappointing because I was hoping that season 2 would be able to top what it's predecessor had to provide, but it seems like that's never going to happen.

The only few things that I liked about this show was the storyline (which was fine, I suppose.) The characters (are pretty much the same as they were in the previous season. As for the new characters they really didn't provide anything new or great to the table.) An the artwork (it still looks well drawn.)

Once again I only had 2 problems with this show. One of them actually repeats the same problem that I had back in season 1 (oh boy.):

1. Episode 1's pacing was a bit quick (on some parts.) I understand that the makers of this season wanted to move on to the next episode, but I would appreciate it if they were to take their time and use the regular normal pace that they usually use.

2. Season 2 is repeating the same 2nd problem that I had with season 1. Except instead of having some good action scenes and 1 cool fight scene, there was only a few alright ones and 2 pretty good action scenes from the last. Two. Episodes (aka episode 11-12.)

In conclusion this show was not only sort of a mixbag, but it also hasn't outshine or top what it's predecessor had. Even though it might've had some stuff that I liked, that doesn't it's going to receive a good or an exceptional grade from me. Also I have to wonder, were the people who were making this even trying at all? They had what, three years to work on the second season and this is what they had to provide? A (sort of) water-down feeling (not version) that season 1 had?

I'm not even sure if I want to check out it's new season because A. It hasn't really persuade me into giving it a try and B. It's coming out in 2 months time. Which makes me think that they rushed this and that's going to be a lot worse than what season 2 had to provide. But if I do decided not to watch and review it, please don't be surprised. With that said I'm giving Overlord season 2 a 5.9/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 15, 2018

Pop. Team. Epic. Back in early 2018 this was one of the few anime's that people wouldn't shut up about. If you were to go on Twitter for a prime example and looked up Pop Team Epic, you would find people posting merchandise, cosplays, fanart (they still do this very day), a picture or clip from one of the show's episodes, or you would probably end up seeing people saying stuff like "Oh my God, I can't believe PTE made a so and so reference." It was freakin everywhere (and it probably still is.) But out of sheer curiosity I decided to check the series out just to see what all the fuss was about. An know what some you are probably going to say "You ended up liking right?" Well you'll find out the answer after I explained the plot to you first.

"Popuko and Pipimi are a pair of foul mouthed girls ready to take on every pop culture reference ever made. Pop Team Epic follows the pair through a series of surreal skits and short stories full of internet, movie, video game, and self-referential based comedy." (Info by Anime News Network)

This show without a shadow of a doubt........ absolutely sucks (No I am not messing around this time.) Aside from these 2 specific things that I liked (I'll talk about it later on in the review) this show really doesn't have anything that great to offer. An yeah I get that it's random, strange, and weird, but that doesn't mean it's still a good anime just because it has those elements in there. Besides I've seen better anime's that have shown these styles in a more fun and entertaining way. If FUNimation were to sell this on DVD/Blu-Ray I bet you they'll only get some sells out of it. An if my theory is actually correct, then not only would that be bad for FUNi, but it would mostly be bad for the people who help create this anime.

One of things that I didn't like about this show would have to be the joke/skits. Majority of them were very bad. Now before you say anything, no I wasn't offended by any of them. I just didn't get half of the jokes that characters were making, plus I really didn't think they were all that funny. Because during the time when I was watching this series I was bored out of freakin mind. I was waiting and hoping for this show to try to get a laugh out of me, but nothing happen. No chuckle, no snicker, I didn't even crack a smile. An that's mostly because the jokes that the characters provided were both bland, stale, and dry. Another reason was that person who was responsible for the writing (and is co-director of this series) Jun Aoki was trying way too hard to be funny.

The second is that he and the rest of people who helped make this anime follow this certain annoying formula, which is this. In every episode (except for episode 1 it's in reverse) on the 1st half you'll see original skits and the 2 main characters are voiced by 2 random female voice actresses. But in the 2nd half it's the same skits that was in the 1st half except the only difference is that the 2 main characters are voiced by 2 random male voice actors. I understand that this was a creative decision, but to be honest with you this was a very stupid and lazy idea. This should've done this, since PTE is just a bunch of random skits.

They should've just cut the unnecessary 2nd half off, keep the 1st half, and have both the 2 female and male voice actors take turns on each skit. It also doesn't have to be in order, they could make it random. So that way the audience will be confused and will have to guess which one is going first or next. An before some of you say, "but Blake then PTE would last for about 11 minutes and 30 seconds." So what? Hetalia and RWBY (back in it's early seasons) lasted for about a few minutes or so and a lot of anime fans still consider them as one of the best notable anime's out there. If they could still love a show like those 2, then they'll (probably) have the same feeling if PTE did the same thing (I say probably because the comedy still isn't that good to me.)

Now earlier I said there were 2 specific things that I liked about this anime. I think now is the time to address them. The first is that sometimes, but not a lot. The show's creators can be creative sometimes. A prime example would have to be this one part in episode 7 where they went live-action and these 2 guys were presenting this one skit which was in 2 sketchbooks. Even though the skit wasn't funny I did admire and appreciate the stuff that they did with the books (It was pretty enjoyable to watch.) Another prime example would have to be this one skit where the 2 main characters were having a dancing-off, except instead of doing it in their regular animation. The creators decided to have them do it in stop-motion. When I first saw this I thought this was both a good idea and that it was pretty cute. Besides if they did it in their original animation I wouldn't even gave a crap.

The 2nd would have to be the intro theme song. I will admit it was very catchy. The electronic beat and rhythm sound so amazing that I wouldn't mind listening to this from time to time. But you wanna know what's sad? That should be the type of feeling I should've have for the entirety of Pop Team Epic. But I didn't because majority of their content is so boring that not only did I have a bad time watching it, I also wished that I was watching something else or doing something else.

In conclusion this show absolutely sucks. Aside from some of it's good creativity and intro song, the rest is just sentimental bullcrap. If the show's creators were to try a lot better making the content more enjoyable and actually tried being funny, also if they came up with better creative/interesting ideas. Then a lot more people including me would not only love this show, but also remember this as one of the best anime's that has debuted this year.

If your still considering checking this show out and if you happen to end up liking it, then that's great. I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did. With that said I'm giving Pop Team Epic a 3/10 let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Bonus note: Maybe people who are new to anime would probably enjoy this. Who knows?
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 22, 2018

Wow, this is the 3rd anime that I have reviewed this year which story-plot revolves around an abnormal relationship. But unlike Citrus and The Ancient Magus Bride this show is all about a 17 year old girl who has conflicted feelings for her 45 year old boss. Who also has a kid and is divorced. Huh, that's something. Well let's waste any time, here is my review of After The Rain.

"Akira Tachibana, a reserved high school student and former track runner, has not been able to race the same as she used to since she experienced a severe foot injury. And although she is regarded as attractive by her classmates, she is not interested in the boys around school.

While working part-time at the Garden Cafe, Akira begins to develop feelings for the manager—a 45-year-old man named Masami Kondou—despite the large age gap. Kondou shows genuine concern and kindness toward the customers of his restaurant, which, while viewed by others as soft or weak, draws Akira to him. Spending time together at the restaurant, they grow closer, which only strengthens her feelings. Weighed down by these uncertain emotions, Akira finally resolves to confess, but what will be the result?" (Info by MyAnimeList)

Before you continue reading the rest of the review there something I want to explain first. Just like incest I am not, nor will I ever be for this type of relationship in real life. I am only ok with it in fiction and fiction only. With that said on to the review.

This anime in my honest opinion is both pretty good and kind of interesting at the same time. It does a good job with capturing the audiences attention with it's storyline, the artwork/animation, and the issues that the 2 main characters go through. This is also the 1st romance anime where the 2 main characters resolve their relationship halfway through the series and just mainly focus on dealing with the personal issues that they were going through before the series began. At first I wasn't really ok with them doing that because I preferred that they resolve their relationship at the last episode. But after doing some thinking I understood why the director made that choice.

It's mainly because he wanted to do something different instead of following the regular formula that most romance anime does. An you know what, I'm actually glad he did that. It's nice to see a romance anime go into a different direction for once. I really hope I get to see more anime's do something like this (but different) in future.

The 1st thing that I liked about the show would have to be the symbolism of the rain. I feel like the rain is suppose to be a sign of the 2 main characters going through some personal issues that need to be resolved. It can also be representation of how character is feeling at the moment too. A prime example would have to be this one part in episode 7 where Tachibana is in Mr. Kondō's apartment feeling sad and frustrated because she doesn't how he feels about her. During the time this happening the rain and wind is blowing pretty hard outside, but it calms down a bit and fully goes away the next day once Mr. Kondō gives her his answer.

The 2nd thing would have to be the relatable problems that the 2 main characters go through. Through out the series both Akria and Mr. Kondō struggle with moving forward from their problems. For Akria she struggles with wanting to go back to track and field again. An the reason why she feels that way is because if she goes back to that old life again she would never get to spend time or see Mr. Kondō again. For Mr. Kondō he feels afraid of going back to writing novels. Because the last time he tried writing them he got so obsessed with it that it hurt his relationship with his current ex-wife. He feels like if he goes back to writing he'll go through the same problems again. Eventually their issues get resolved at the end of the series thanks to some important people in their lives persuading them to conquer their fears. (one of them is also each other.)

The 3rd would have to be the relationship between Tachibana and Kondō. At first it started off odd and awkward, but as you continue watching the series it later became something beautiful and sweet. Plus the chemistry that they had with each other came off as kind of cute.

The last few things would have to be the storyline (I thought it was very good.) The characters (aside from the main ones I thought they were alright.) The music (was very lovely and melodic.) An the artwork and animation (both were beautiful and fantastic. I love the great details that the artists put into the characters, the settings, and the background.)

Sadly there is one problem that I didn't like from this anime and it's this: in episode 9 we see Tachibana and Haruko (Akria's best friend) having an argument about their friendship. After their argument ends you see Haruko's little sisters crying from some random reason and then Haruko starts to cry and leaves the summer festival (This is where they were at by the way.) "But Blake, what's the problem?" The problem dear readers is the obvious annoying symbolism that Haruko's sisters play. The writers should've just let the scene play out by itself without her sisters being there.

In conclusion After The Rain is both a pretty good and kind of interesting anime. It has a very good storyline, 2 good main characters and some alright side characters, very lovely and melodic music, fantastic and beautiful artwork/animation, and it does something different with it's romance plot. I kindly recommend you check this anime out. I think some of you would probably enjoy this. With being said I'm giving ATE a 9/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
Originally posted May 29, 2018

Made In Abyss is one of the most popular and best anime's that has debuted in 2017. It has been loved and praised by many anime critics and fans a like. It has also won Anime Of the Year and Best Score from the 2017 Crunchyroll Award. In addition this also the 3rd time that Crunchyroll, FUNimation, and Netflix screwed up on not getting streaming/license rights to a notable anime (and they wonder why people watch illegal streaming sites like KA.) Anyway just like some popular anime I got curious and I wanted to see if this show was actually worth being called the best anime of 2017. And was it? Well let's find out.

"The story is centered around an orphan girl named Riko who lives in the town of Orth on an island in the sea of Beoluska. The city surrounds a strange, giant hole going deep into the earth, which is commonly called the Abyss. The Abyss harbors artifacts and remnants of a civilization long gone, and is therefore the popular hunting spot for so-called Cave Raiders, who undertake arduous and dangerous descents into the mist-filled pit to recover whatever relics they can find. Returning from the Abyss, however, can be dangerous, as "the Curse of the Abyss," a mysterious and potentially fatal malady, manifests upon ascension. The deeper one goes, the more acute the effects of the curse; few who have descended into the lower regions have returned to tell of their experiences. Some legendary Cave Raiders earn the title of White Whistle, one of them being Riko's mother Lyza.

Riko's goal is to follow in her mother's footsteps and solve the mysteries of the Abyss. One day she explores the caves and discovers a robot named Reg who resembles a human boy whom she and her friends befriend. Some time later, Riko is informed that some items sent by Lyza were recovered, including a message to her, telling her to meet in the bottom of the Abyss. Riko then bids farewell to her friends and departs to the Abyss with Reg in search for her mother, despite knowing of the risks and the fact that due to the Curse of the Abyss, she will never be able to return." (info by wiki)

Made In Abyss season 1 to be honest is both wonderful and great. At times it's enjoyable and fun to watch and then there are times where it can be heart-wrenching and sad to look at as well. I also enjoyed following the journey that the 2 main characters (Riko and Reg) go on and the deadly risks that they have to deal with during their quest. I really hope that they reach their destination and their goal soon without anything worse happening to them.

One of things that I love about this show would have to be the Abyss itself. The Abyss can pretty much be described as both fascinating and dangerous at the same time. The times when it's fascinating is when your looking at the beautiful areas that's in it, the interesting relics that's hidden there, and the remarkable creatures that reside there as well (most of them look like they could be apart of the Monster Hunter franchise.) (Bonus note: You also get to learn a lot of important info about the Abyss too.)

As for the dangerous parts: some of the remarkable creatures that reside there are very dangerous (some of them are pretty smart) and they will do everything that they can to capture and kill their prey. Another thing that's dangerous about the place would have to be the curses that every human has to deal with as they go down and back up to each level of the Abyss (the curses ranges from low to extremely high, depending on which layer you are in.) But aside from the dangerous parts I can definitely see why most humans would want to travel to this place. It's very lovely and addicting.

Another thing that I like would have to be the storyline (so far it's pretty engaging.) The characters (aside from the 4 I'm going to be talking about later, the rest of them seemed good in my book.) The music ( I though it was very beautiful, Kevin Penkin (The composer for this show) did a very good job in making the music pleasant to listen to.) An the artwork (I thought it looked appreciable.)

One of my favorite characters in this anime would have to be Riko. She is both a cute, odd, weird and curious girl who is not only determine to be the best cave raider just like her mother, but is all determine to search for her too (no matter what the cost is.) She is also pretty smart, is a very good cook, and can sometimes take care of herself.

Another character would have to be Reg. He is both very skilled, somewhat, but not always logical, and a very great friend to Riko. He always does everything in his power to make sure that she is safe and that no harm comes to her. Plus he has an incinerator blaster that's so awesome that freakin Tony Stark would be jealous of and wishes that he can make one just like Reg's.

Bonus Note: Both Riko and Reg also make a great team. They do a very good job in helping each other out whenever one needs it. Without one another they would never survived the Abyss all by themselves.

The third would have to be Ozen the Immovable. Ozen is very much the most wisest and strongest cave raider in all of Orth. Even though she's strange, creepy, and looks like she has some evil intentions; she's actually pretty cool and a good person (plus she has her reasons as to why she's like that.) She is also shown to care about others (even though she makes it sort of hard for the audience to believe that) and is shown to have a sense of humor (sometimes.) In the end she's alright in my book. I would most definitely consider her to be one of my most favorite anime characters.

The last would have to be Nanachi (Note 3: The author of the series has kept their gender unclear. So in respect of the author and because I don't know their gender I will only use the pronouns they, their, and themselves.) Nanachi is both very smart and can definitely take care of themselves and others too. I felt really sorry about the situation that they went through and I hope they stay positive and happy till the very end.

In conclusion Made In Abyss season 1 is truly the best 2017 anime I have ever seen. It has engaging storyline so far, awesome and good characters, very beautiful music, and a great artwork. If you ever get the chance I highly recommend you go and check this show out (believe me, you won't regret watching it from the beginning to the end.) With that being said I'm giving the 1st season of Made In Abyss a 10/10, let me know what you think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
Originally posted June 5, 2018

If I could name a great anime director that deserves to be on the same status as Shinichirō Watanabe and Hayao Miyazaki, it would most definitely be Satoshi Kon. Satoshi Kon is most notable for making anime movies like Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and Paprika. He also helped animate episode 2 and directed episode 5 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (The 1994 OVA Series) and animated and directed a short for the anthology movie Memories. Another thing that he's most notable for is always having a female protagonist in his animes. Not because of perverted or pedophilic reasons, but because A. He sees them as an easier challenge because he doesn't know them like he does with male characters and B. (These are his words according to wiki) "can project my obsession onto the characters and expand the aspects I want to describe."

Yes sir or ma'm (depending on whose reading this) when it comes to making anime, Mr. Kon was no doubt a bonafide genius. He's work was so good that according to Dean DeBlois (Co-writer and Co-director of Lilo and Stitch and How To Train Your Dragon Franchise) he feels like his anime's might not work in live-action because of the way how he explores social stigmas and the human psyche. Also because Mr. Kon didn't shy away when talking about mature subjects in his films.

Later in May 2010 (during the time he was working on his next project "Dreaming Machine.") Satoshi caught a disease called pancreatic cancer (a disease that only allows the host to live a 1/2 a year.) Instead of continuing the his latest project, he decided to spend the rest of his life at home. Then in August 24, 2010 Satoshi Kon passed away (RIP.)

Today I wanted to pay tribute Mr. Kon by reviewing not only one of his most notable animes, but the only original TV show he has ever created. An that show is non-other than Madhouse Review #20 Paranoia Agent.

"An elementary school kid dubbed with the title "shounen bat" or "lil slugger" has been going around attacking people with his bent, golden bat. Now, two detectives are investigating so they can stop this kid from making any more attacks, but they will find out soon enough... that this case is much more than they expected." (Info by Anime News Network)

The best way I can describe Paranoia Agent is that it's a fascinating phenomenon. It's both strange and very bizarre almost on the same level as Fooly Cooly, but different. The anime does an excellent job capturing the audience's attention and always keeps them guessing what's going on with and within the storyline. Even when you think you figured out what Satoshi is talking about/showing in his anime. He always throws in another "puzzle" for you to solve until you finally reach the end of the series.

One of things that I loved about this anime was his unused ideas. I know what some of you are probably thinking (even those who already watch the series.) "What in the world inspired Kon to make this show?" Wellllll, according to wikipedia (so again take this with a grain of salt) "During the makings of his previous three films (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, and Tokyo Godfathers), Paranoia Agent creator Satoshi Kon was left with an abundance of unused ideas for stories and arrangements that he felt were good but did not fit into any of his projects. Not wanting to waste the material, he decided to recycle it into a dynamic TV series in which his experimental ideas could be used."

("In the case of a film to be shown at theaters, I'm working for two years and a half, always in the same mood and with the same method. I wanted to do something that allows me to be more flexible, to realize instantly what flashes across my mind. I was also aiming at a sort of entertaining variation, so I decided to go for a TV series." - Satoshi Kon) When I first read this I thought this was a weird idea, but after watching all of the episode I later on changed my mind and thought at the same time that this was both an interesting idea and that it went perfectly with the show's storyline.

Another thing that I love would have to be the show's discussion on one of humanity's biggest flaws and the main themes. Through out the series every character has been dealing with one common problem and that's delusion. They see it as nothing more than just an excuse to escape reality, an obsession, something that will always help them feel better whenever they feel down, bored, stress/frustrated, or even put the blame on (no matter how ridiculous it is.) Humanity does the same exact thing in real life (and still going on to this very day.) But how can these problems be solved?

Believe it or not (and I know these sound cheesy and not simple, but it's the only way we humans can progress and be better in life.) Always stay strong-willed and positive, seek/talk to someone you can trust about the issues your going through, and always face reality no matter how crappy and terrible it may be.

The last few things that I love would have to be the storyline (it was very intriguing.) The characters (I thought that they were ok. I felt like they helped the show get it's message across with the audience very well.) The intro theme song (it was both beautiful, abnormal, but most of all made a lot of sense.) Lastly the artwork (I though it was alright. Yeah it can be weird sometimes, but this is the type of style that Satoshi likes to work with. To him I think it both helps get his points across and to show the audience what kind of person the characters that he has created are.)

In conclusion I truly love this show. It has a very intriguing storyline, ok characters that help get the message it's trying to tell it's audience across, a beautiful and abnormal intro theme, an alright/good artwork, and does a great job discussing delusions (aka paranoia) and how to deal with it. I'm really glad I decided to check this show out during the time I can understand the themes behind some animes. Because if I were to try to watching/reviewing this show during the time I was a newbie reviewer, I would've been totally confused and wouldn't get what this show is trying to say.

If you ever have the chance I strongly recommend you give this show a shot. I believe you'll both have a great and interesting time watching it. I'm giving Paranoia Agent a 10/10, let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Originally posted June 12, 2018

3 years ago during the time when I was new at reviewing. I made a short review on what I thought about Gangsta so far (aka the last show that Manglobe made before they shut down due to bankruptcy.) A few months while I was busy with other reviews not only did I forget to finish watching the anime, but I also forgot to do a full review on it. This is the 3rd time I forgot to do a full review on anime that really liked. It's a nasty habit that I really hope doesn't become an ongoing gag. But now that I finally finish watching the show I have to wonder if it was still both likable and worth the watch. Only one way to find out; here is my complete review of Gangsta.

"Nicholas Brown and Worick Arcangelo, known in the city of Ergastalum as the "Handymen," are mercenaries for hire who take on jobs no one else can handle. Contracted by powerful mob syndicates and police alike, the Handymen have to be ready and willing for anything. After completing the order of killing a local pimp, the Handymen add Alex Benedetto—a prostitute also designated for elimination—to their ranks to protect her from forces that want her gone from the decrepit hellhole of a city she has come to call home. However, this criminal’s paradise is undergoing a profound period of change that threatens to corrode the delicate balance of power.

Ergastalum was once a safe haven for "Twilights," super-human beings born as the result of a special drug but are now being hunted down by a fierce underground organization. This new threat is rising up to challenge everything the city stands for, and the Handymen will not be able to avoid this coming war." (Info by My Anime List)

Gangsta in my honest opinion is a very cool anime. Whenever I watch this show I always get some Black Lagoon vibes from it, but it mostly does it's own thing. So that way whenever someone new to the show watches this they love it for it's own style instead of seeing it as a full on unoriginal copycat. One of things that I like about this show is that the makers do a good job at giving some hints as to what year or time this anime takes. By the end of episode 3 you'll be pretty surprised by what it is. Trust me I was shocked as well.

Another thing that I liked would have to be the Twilights. A group of military mercenaries and their descendants who take a certain type of drug called Celeber. Not only does it help maintain their bodily functions and help them stay alive, but it can also grant the user enhance strength, speed, skills, and some senses. They can pretty much be recognized by the tags that they wear on their necks. Which shows what type of strength rank their on. The ranks go from D-5 (the lowest) to S-0 (The highest.) But before you can say "Oh gee Blake, they sort of sound a little to OP." Well there's some downsides being a Twilight. Here's a few:

1. Twilights always have to obey 3 specific rules if they want to live in peace. If they disobey any or all three of them they will be severely punished.
2. By taking Celeber they also reduce their lifespan. Some of them usually live up to their early to early 30's.
3. The drug is also addicting and toxic so they have to take the normal amount that their prescribe to have. If they OD too much it can do some nasty damages to the body.

The 3rd would have to be the relationship between Worrick and Nicolas. With Worrick as the brains and Nick as the muscle, not only do the 2 make a great team, but they also have a great brotherly bond as well. No matter how crazy or dangerous life throws at them or if the two piss each other off sometimes, they always love, take care, and help each other out. They also love to help other people out as well. Whether for money or for free (it just depends.)

Another character that I like would have to be Alex Benedetto. She is a very attractive, kind, and caring woman who might not be as smart or skilled like the boys, but she does her best to help them and other good people who are need or require assistance however she can. I'm also glad that she was able to leave her previous job. Even though it has left a nasty taste in her mind, she is slowly healing as time goes by. I really hope she fully heals soon.

The last few things would have to be the storyline (it was kind of interesting.) The characters (some of them were legit, some of them were good, and the rest were alright.) The music (it was both catchy and lovely.) The English VA (The cast did a very good job voicing their respected roles.) The action scenes (were both cool and awesome.) An the artwork (it looked really good. I love the interesting details and design that the art team made for the characters. )

There's this one specific downside that really disappointed me and it will disappoint you too, if by chance your thinking of watching this.

1. The show ends on a unresolved note. (Spoilers) at the end of episode 12 the Twilights are still fighting and defending their hometown from a group of mercenary hunters, Alex is left alone at the boys HQ, Delico ( one of the boys's many friends) finally finds his little sister, Worrick is lying down on the ground injured, Nick looks like he's going to commit suicide, and Daniel Marco (a kind mafia boss that boys formerly worked for) leaves town to meet his boss (there's more, but I rather just leave at that.) This anime should've and it looked like it was going to receive another season. But like I said before, due to Manglobe shutting down because they hit bankruptcy, that's never going to happen. Unless there's another good anime company that's generous to buy the rights to this show, Gangsta is never going to get the proper sequel it truly deserves. The only way to find out what happens next is if you read the manga (which still going to this very day.)

In conclusion I both love and find this show to be pretty cool. It has an interesting storyline, some legit, good, and alright characters, catchy and lovely music, very good voice actors, the action scenes were both cool and awesome, and it has a really good artwork/animation. Even though this show is incomplete I highly recommend you give Gangsta a chance. It's most definitely worth the buy, watch, and your time. With all that being said I'm giving Gangsta a 9.8/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Why do we as humans go back and re-watch certain movies, videos, or TV shows. Re-read certain books, comic books, or mangas? Replay certain video games? There are 2 answers to those questions. The 1st is that we want to relieve some of the good moments or nostalgia that it has provided for us. It makes us feel happy and entertain and as long as we have that. We'll feel perfectly fine and satisfied. The 2nd answer is to go back and check if the thing that we saw, read, or even played was even good, bad, or both. For me and today's revamp review it's the 2nd option.

When I first watched Neon Genesis Evangalion I thought the show was a mixbag (that it was both good and bad.) But deep down inside (and I never realize this until a couple of weeks ago) I knew that it wasn't a mixbag. The only reason why I thought it wasn't a mixbag was because I never really understood what Evangalion was nor did I ever try to understand. But I want to change that. So I decided that this week I was going to rewatch and review this anime and try my best to fully understand and see if this show still is a mixbag or maybe something else.

"In the year 2015, the world stands on the brink of destruction. Humanity's last hope lies in the hands of Nerv, a special agency under the United Nations, and their Evangelions, giant machines capable of defeating the Angels who herald Earth's ruin. Gendou Ikari, head of the organization, seeks compatible pilots who can synchronize with the Evangelions and realize their true potential. Aiding in this defensive endeavor are talented personnel Misato Katsuragi, Head of Tactical Operations, and Ritsuko Akagi, Chief Scientist.

Face to face with his father for the first time in years, 14-year-old Shinji Ikari's average life is irreversibly changed when he is whisked away into the depths of Nerv, and into a harrowing new destiny—he must become the pilot of Evangelion Unit-01 with the fate of mankind on his shoulders." (info by My Anime List)

After rewatching all 26 episodes I have come to a full realization/answer. This show was never a mixbag (far from it.) Evangalion is actually both a brilliant and fantastic anime. It has a great story plot, some relatable characters and ok ones, some really good action scenes, some simple and good music, talented English voice actors, some shocking, dark, and mind-blowing twist, and a good artwork/animation. I'm really grateful and glad that I got chance to not only rewatch this, but to fix my past mistakes as well and I hope that I can persuade you (the reader) to either check or rewatch this show as well.

Now before I elaborate some of the stuff that I liked from this show. There's one particular topic that I want to discuss first and it's this.

The religious symbolism's. Now even though they seem fascinating and important to the creators of this show and maybe to some of the audience. The truth is that their not all that important. Even though they have something to do with the Adam, Lilith, the angels, humanity, and the EVA's. Their not as mainly important as the relatable characters. To put in simple terms: When it comes to the story and entertaining the audience, their important. But when it comes to the philosophy and themes that are within this show, they are 2nd place (important, but not that important.)

The 1st thing that I love about this show is the relatable problems and temporary "helpful" solutions. The show does an excellent job creating characters who are not only similar to us (humans), but are also going through the same type of personal situations that we do everyday. The anime also shows different examples of temporary "helpful" solutions that we have used to fix our personal "demons." Some prime examples would have to be Shinji and Asuka. There are more, but just like my other reviews I don't want this to go on for too long and also I don't want to spoil anymore important stuff that I already have (spoilers on this part.)

Asuka: Ever since she lost her mother (the number 1 most important person in her life.) She has felt heartbroken, sad and messed up. How does she solve all of these problems? By trying to not to only act like a grown up and to live in denial of her mother's death, but to always try her hardest to be excellent at everything. Always showing off towards others and wanting them to both pay attention and praise her for her excellent work/good deeds (in other words she has inferiority complex.) But there are flaws to her temporary "helpful" solution. 1. Most of the people around her (including the audience) find her annoying and unbearable to be around. 2. In this one episode when Shinji sees her sleeping next to him he hears crying for her mother. 3. Her living in denial gets even worse (in episode 22) when she hears the truth about her self and her problems.

Shinji: Ever since he lost he's mother and his father abandon him, Shinji has felt both alone and sad at the same time. In addition he's gained an Oedipus Complex (where a guy has an unconscious sexual desire for his mother and a deep hatred for his father), he sometimes has a hard time expressing his feelings/opinions (depending on the situation), he has hard time connecting with others, he has mix feelings for EVA Unit 1 (he both feels comfortable, safe, and good when he's in there, but at the same time, he hates, rejects, and wants to be away from it) and lastly he struggles with wanting to live or die aka he has a libido-destrudo conflict.

But how does he solve these problems? Well just like Asuka he denies that he has problems and decides to lock them all up inside of him (including his pain). He sometimes pretends that everything is fine and distance himself from his father (just like Misato and Ritsuko (except she distances herself from her own mother.)) And he feels like if he does everything he is told he'll be perfectly fine (just like Rei.)

The 2nd would have to be themes and philosophies. Another thing that Evan does an excellent job at is showing/discussing the themes/philosophy that it goes over. Stuff like individuality, consciousness, freedom, choice, responsibility, finding a reason to live, despair, the hedgehog's dilemma, Oral Stage, sexual and gender identity, and etc. But there is 1 subject that I have been interested the most and that's the unconscious mind.

The unconscious mind is another part of you that your not aware of (but deep down inside you kind of know it exist.) It contains your repressed feelings, thought process, memories, motives and even interest. In the show and it's surprising that he doesn't know about this until the last episode. Rei, Asuka, Misato, and sort of Ritsuko represent the stuff that's apart of his unconscious mind (look back to the relatable problems and "helpful" solutions of Shinji for proof.)

The 3rd would have to be the turning point of the show. Through out episode 16 to 26 the anime decides to become more psychological than action/adventure. The reason why is because the crew that worked on the show was low on money and failed to meet their schedule. According to assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki this is what he had to say about the situation: "I didn't mind it. The schedule was an utter disaster and the number of cels plummeted, so there were some places where unfortunately the quality suffered. However, the tension of the staff as we all became more desperate and frenzied certainly showed up in the film ... About the time that the production system was completely falling apart, there were some opinions to the effect that, "If we can't do satisfactory work, then what's the point of continuing?" However, I didn't feel that way. My opinion was, "Why don't we show them the entire process including our breakdown." This is very intriguing. Thanks to them deciding to continue finishing the show not only did we get to know the characters down to a deep and personal level. But we (the audience) also get to connect and understand them even more than we already did.

My favorite character in this show (and I can't believe I'm say this) is Shinji Ikari. The reason is because of the self-discovery journey he goes on in order to find out who he is as a person and in life. An to help him become a more better and stronger person (even if he doesn't realize it till later on in the end of the series.) Also he's a very good, pure-hearted, and interesting kid. Yeah he's whiny, annoying, and he's screaming can be annoying at times, but their justified by the stuff that he has went through before and during the series. In summary he's one of the few characters you can not only relate to, but hope that he seeks the answers that he's searching for.

Before I move on to the final 2 things I want to give my opinions about episode 25 and 26 of NGE. Now to some of the fans of Evan and the critics these are the number one most controversial parts of the show. The reason is because it didn't have a big epic finale and only answered a few questions on what was going on during the Human Instrumentality Project (a project that SEELE created in order to help mankind become better.) In my honest opinion I don't hate the last 2 episodes or the results that it brings. The anime has intrigued me with it's impressive creativity, relatable characters, and intriguing themes/philosophy so much that I don't care or mind if it didn't show a cool finale. Don't get me wrong I love big epic finale's, but for a show like Neon Genesis? I feel like it was completely unnecessary. To me I just felt satisfied with what I got.

Unfortunately the anime had 2 downsides that I did not like. And they are:

1. Product placement. If your new to my reviews or forgot, one of the things that I absolutely despise anime creators doing is putting product placement in their shows or movies. I find them complete unnecessary and irritating to look at (so with that said.) During the beginning half of the series (including this one part in episode 23) the anime will sometimes throw in some product placement (mostly Sony ones.)

2. The main theme song. Don't get me wrong it's very good and has a good melody to it. But after listening to it more than twice, it becomes pretty annoying. What ruins my love for it the most is when people on the internet always use it for annoying and unfunny memes.

In conclusion I was wrong about NGE, this show is fantastic. It has a great story plot, some relatable characters and ok ones, some really good action scenes, some simple and good music, talented English voice actors, some shocking, dark, and mind-blowing twist, and a good artwork/animation. I regret calling this show a mix bag in the past, I regret thinking that it wasn't even good, I regret not seeing the show's true potential. But I am glad I gave it another chance and if you were like me in the past or have never seen this series. Then I strongly recommend you give this anime a 2nd chance (it's definitely worth the watch.) With that said and despite it's 2 downsides I'm giving Evangalion an 11/10. Why? Because just like Cowboy Bebop I have a very deep level of respect for this show. An if I ever have a feeling like that for an anime you can bet your life I'm going to give it this type of grade. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.

Last edited by Blak3 Nikos on Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
To be frank I feel like boxing is kind of boring to watch. Is just a sport where men or women use their fist in order to fight for either supremacy, fame, glory, money, fun, or maybe they just fight for the thrill of it (those kinky twats.) Sure the fights can get bloody sometimes, maybe even brutal. But to me their not as innovated, creative, super dangerous, or exciting like how the UFC or pro-wrestling is; thus proves my point. But if it was in an anime, an if there was a regular boxer fighting other boxers who wear metal gears on their body (not the weapon from the video game), and if there was hip-hop music playing in the background, then maybe I might be interested in checking it out. Luckily for me Megalo box fulfills all the qualities I'm looking for. But is it worth the check out/watch? Well let's find out.

"The series takes place in a futuristic setting where licensed citizens live in a wealthy city while, on the outskirts of this city, there is a slum town where unlicensed citizens live in poverty. Megalo Boxing is a popular sport in this world similar to boxing except the boxers fight while wearing a metal frame which makes their attacks much more lethal, Junk Dog is a young man who fights in underground illegal rings in fights that have a fixed result where his coach Gansaku Nanbu directs him on when to lose a fight. One evening he almost crashes his motorcycle into Yukiko Shirato, who is the head of the wealthy Shirato Group which oversees the Megalonia tournament, Junk Dog picks a fight with her bodyguard Yūri who is also the top ranked Megalo Boxer. Yukiko stops the fight but Yūri seeks out Junk Dog and meets him in the underground ring where he easily beats the less-experienced fighter and tells him to fight him again in Megalonia, which Junk Dog would need a place at the top of the official Megalo Box rankings to qualify for, as well as a proper citizenship ID to enter the rankings in the first place. After Nanbu persuades the mob boss Fujimaki to forge Junk Dog an ID under the name Joe, the two are given 3 months to achieve their goal of working their way to the top of the Megalo Box rankings in order to have a chance of fighting in Megalonia." (Info by wiki)

Now usually I'm not a big fan of sports anime. Because I feel like majority of them are not that interesting nor do I see them worth my time and patience. But after watching Megalo Box not only do I see it as one of the biggest difference makers in the sports anime genre, but I actual thought it was a really good show. It's basically "the main protagonist goes on a rocky journey to the top ranks so that he or she can fight that special certain individual that they encounter in the beginning of the series" type of anime. The last time I watched something like that was in Kill La Kill. But some of the main difference between this show and KLK is that 1. This show is mostly serious and has less funny moments and 2. the main reason why Joe wants to fight Yūri is the same reason why Yuri wants to fight Joe. It's because both of them feel like they can give each other the best fight of their lives. They also find it to be their number one main reason to live (I bet they have others, but this one is pretty much at the top of their list.)

One of things that I like about this show would have to be the storyline. Now when I first watch episode 1-4 I thought that this show was just going to be some average or regular good type of anime. But as I progressed passed episode 4, the show started to get a lot better and more pretty interesting. Not only that, but it also pulled off some surprising twists and a mysterious ending that I thought it could never pull off nor did I see it coming. I really like anime's that pull these types of stunts. It makes you feel like your going up against a mysterious and unpredictable opponent (you may never know what their going to throw at you.) It's thanks to these things that I both feel glad I decided to give this show a try and definitely see why people who are fans of this series love this so much.

The 2nd thing would have to be the "Gearless Joe" inspiration. Even though the gears that some of the boxers wear look pretty cool and really do help improve the boxers performance. I think I like and respect when Joe decides to fight his opponents without his gear. What started of as a simple gimmick later on became so much more. He pretty much prove to his home country and probably the world that you can still be a great Megalo Boxer, even without the using gears. And I know what some of you are probably going to say "well that sounds cheesy." Trust me, the show's writers and director don't present it that way nor will it make you roll your eyes or make you feel like the message is being forced down your throat.

The 3rd would have to be Joe himself. I really love and admire his "never say die" attitude and the fact that he's always motivated and thirsty to fight another tough opponent. Even when things get rough he always has his partners Nanbu (his coach) and Sachio (he's info kid and helper) to help him feel focused and positive again. Without them he wouldn't be able to make to Megalonia or face Yuri. Sure yes he can be seen as hardheaded and stubborn, but I still like him regardless of those flaws.

The last few things would have to be the characters (aside from Joe I thought that they were both fine and alright.) The music (it was pretty cool, especially when the show started playing hip-hop and rap in the background. Whenever they play an original song I'm always bopping my head to the beautiful and amazing rhythms and lyrics. Even though there was this one weird part where Sachio started to rap (It wasn't bad, I just thought it was random and out of nowhere) I still love it. Definitely fits in and deserves to be apart of a show like Megalo.

The fighting (I thought it was pretty good. My favorite one would have to be Yūri vs. Joe II. I'm not going to spoil what happens, but all I can say is that the two really gave it their all and that they also gave off a "fight for forever" type of vibe. Wrestling fans will get that reference, but just in case your not one it's suppose to be seen as a good compliment. The artwork/animation (aside from the background it was really good. I really love the flow and movements of the boxers. Because whenever you see them fight it always looks interesting and kind of intense (which really helps grabs the audience's attention.) In addition the artwork and animation kind of looked like a combination of Desert Punk and Attack On Titan (which isn't surprising because Yō Moriyama (the person who helped with the art/animation of those two shows) was also in charge of this one as well.)

In conclusion Megalo Box was definitely worth the watch. It has a pretty interesting storyline, both fine and alright characters, a good protagonist, pretty cool music, pretty good fighting scenes, and a really good art/animation. I really recommend you give this anime a shot, even if your not a fan of sports anime's. The production team for this show did a really good job of making this and deserves some props. With that said I'm giving Megalo Box a 9/10. Let me know what you guys think in the comments.
Blak3 Nikos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
Originally posted July 13, 2018

Back in early January of this year I made myself a promise to never watch 2 specific anime's. Those 2 were Devilman Crybaby and Darling In The Franxx (due to their extreme questionable popularity.) But 2 months later I decided to rethink my promise and decided to give both of them a try. When I reviewed Crybaby (even though there was some stuff I liked about it) I thought it was a mixbag and I didn't really see how this show could be called Anime Of The Year. As for Darling In The Franxx, thats a different story (maybe.)

" In a post-apocalyptic future humanity is under constant threat from giant creatures known as klaxosaurs (叫竜 kyoryū) which are sub-divided into at least four categories based on their size: "Conrad", "Mohorovičić", "Gutenberg", and "(Super) Lehmann". Pushed to the brink of annihilation, the mysterious organization known as APE has led the remnants of humanity to abandon the Earth's surface for the relative safety of mobile fortress-cities known as Plantations. To defend the Plantations, children called Parasites are raised to pilot giant mecha known as Franxx (フランクス Furankusu) in boy-girl pairs. Hiro is a former pilot-candidate prodigy who can no longer synchronize with his partner and they both fail to complete the training program. While skipping his class's graduation ceremony, Hiro encounters Zero Two, an infamous Franxx pilot with klaxosaur blood and red horns. After Zero Two's partner dies during a klaxosaur attack, Hiro volunteers to become her new partner, or "darling." " (Info by wiki)

Darling In The Franxx or it's abbreviated word DarliFra or DariFura (that is the only time your going to see me say those 2 word) was surprisingly pretty cool. The reason why I say that is for 2 reasons. The 1st is that half of the time when I'm reviewing an anime that has a lot of hype around it usually doesn't live up to it and it also shows that people who were hyping were just all talk (or maybe they found it interesting and were hoping to find some people who felt the same way.) The 2nd is that I heard some negative criticisms about it (some even say that the show takes a weird turn later on). I also had a feeling that this anime was going try to be like Evangalion (I'll talk about this and the weird turn later in the review.) But it turns out I was kind of right, but mostly wrong and that I had nothing too much to worry about. An you know what, I'm actually kind of glad that it turn out like that. Better than reviewing another mixbag show or worse.

One of things that I love about this anime would have to be themes. The anime goes over a lot of interesting themes. Some of them are Equality, Gender Equality (for those worrying if there any certain problems in there, don't worry there aren't any) individuality, coming of age (puberty), living life to the fullest, and the Hedgehog's dilemma. But the 1 specific theme that I have been interested the most was love relationships. The anime does an excellent job breaking down each step on how it works. Some examples: what it means to find the right person, how it effects both partners and others, the positive and negative side to it, what it means to be whole (to be one), the sexuality of it, and etc.

The 2nd thing would have to be 002 and Hiro's relationship. At first it started off nice and alright, but as soon as I reached to episode 6 especially at the middle part of the series. It started to both get better and finally became beautiful. I admire their strong will and determination to not only work as a team to defeat their enemies, but to always be together no matter what happens or the cost is. The both of them no doubt have a wonderful chemistry, so wonderful that in this one part in episode 15 (I'm not gonna lie) I was almost in tears. Even though I decided to hold them back because I didn't feel like crying at the moment, doesn't mean that mark that they left in my heart went away.

One of my favorite characters on this show would have to be 002. There are a lot of words to describe this girl. Some of them are beautiful, alluring, clever, super skilled, fun-loving, and intriguing person. She always does her best to protect the one that she loves and her friends as well too whenever their in danger or if they need help with something. Yeah she can be seen as unstable and was uncaring at the beginning of the series, but that was only because she was never treated with any kindness, love, or goodness when she was a kid (and before she met Hiro.) So if anything I both feel sorry she went through those kinds of crap and I'm glad that she was treated differently as she grew up.

The 2nd would have to be Ichigo. She's a very sweet, innocent, kind, and nice gal who always tries to help and provide any assistance to her team. Even though she's not the best leader and is mess sometimes. She always does her best to make up for that and makes sure that her team always succeeds.

The last few things would have to be the storyline (I thought it was pretty interesting. The writers and director did a good job making the show look great.) The characters (were actually pretty good. This was another thing that I wasn't expecting this anime to do. Which is giving the other side characters their own unique personality. Usually most anime's wouldn't even bother paying any fully attention to those characters just the main ones. But I'm glad Franxx is one of the few that does.) The music (was lovely especially the show's main opening theme "Kiss Of Death", but there's one song I didn't like and it was the one in the beginning of episode 8. Look there are only a few anime's that can be compatible with hip/hop and rap. Some of them are Samurai Champloo, Crybaby, and Megalo Box. This anime cannot and I really wish they didn't try putting that in there.) The action ( it was both alright and good). An the artwork/animation (I thought it looked amazing. I really love the design of the Franxx mechs, the Klaxsaurians, and 002 (all 3 of them were very fascinating.) I also liked 2 of openings that this anime had. The 1st one was beautiful while the 2nd had a more intriguing artistic look to it.

When there is a positive there will sadly always be a negative (to most anime's that is.) Not surprisingly this show had some:
1. Widescreen shots. (Excluding the beginning of episode 1 and that one episode where Hiro and 002 were out in the underground city) It's really annoying whenever the director throws in a widescreen shot between Hiro and Zero Two at any given moment. Look if your going to have a widescreen shot between two important people, then you have to make sure it's shown at the right moment at the right time.

2. The twist in episode 20 both makes since, but at the same time is very stupid. I can't say what it is because I don't want to spoil too much info about the show, but all I can say is that there were hints as of why it did make since, but at the same time it's ridiculous because it feels like a sad forgiveness excuse from Trigger and Cloverworks (A1 Production team) for showing so many Evan comparisons in Franxx (speaking of that.)

3. Copying Evangalion. Now as I much as I love and respect this anime's originality, there is no denying that Franxx copied off of a bunch of stuff from NGE. They really had a nasty habit of doing that. It makes me feel like they didn't have any full faith in their original stuff so they decided to copy a popular and more successful anime's homework just to make theirs look cool. Look there's nothing wrong with copying some styles or making a reference/subtle nod to a popular show that you or others love, but if your going to rip-off a bunch of notable scenes that made that show interesting, then not only does that show you don't fully trust your own creation, but that also shows you want your anime to be exactly like that specific anime (When in reality it's not and it never will be.) An I know what some you are probably going to say "oh Blake your full of it, you don't even have any proof." Oh I do, 18 in fact.

Now usually I don't like making my reviews any long than it always is, but this time (and probably the next) I'm willing to make an acceptation:
1. The show takes place in a post-apocalyptic future thanks to the humans fight with the creatures.

2. Humanity faces off against a bunch of dangerous creatures who want them dead because they have something that they want.

3. A world government organization who's  responsible for keeping humanity safe, provides for them, and is responsible/funded for the mechs. Plus they have a secret alliterative motive.

4. The only people that can pilot the mechs are teenagers.

5. The mechs that they pilot have to be someone their familiar and compatible with otherwise the mechs will not work.

6. The mech that the main character pilots is not only someone he's familiar with, but it's someone he knew and liked from the past.

7. The main character (Hiro) is sort of like Shinji (except Shinji had a different reason to feel emotional, sad, weak, alone and etc, but eventually (sometimes until the end) fully got over it.)

8. Mitsuru is pretty much like Asuka in the beginning of the anime. Examples: he's cocky, always likes to show off, wants everyone to notice him especially the main character, looks down on others he doesn't like, and has too much pride (in summary he too has an inferiority complex.)

9. 002 has 1 thing in common for both Rei and Eva Unit 1. 1. Refer back to number 6. 2. She's half human half the creature that the humans are fighting against.

10. The organization needs sort of Rei err I mean 002 in order to complete their top secret alliterative motive.  

11. When the pilots are inside of the mech, it is shown to be a sexual reference (except when Evan does it it's suppose to be an intruging philosophical reference, but when Franxx does it. It's a little interesting, but at the same time it's both obvious and pretty stupid.

12. (Episode 1)The government spots one of the creatures they've been fighting for a long time. So they decided to use every weapon that they have at it instead of just using the mechs.

13. (Episode 1) After seeing sort of Rei getting injured, sort of Shinji (Hiro) decides to pilot the mech. Bonus note: They won and 002 did all the work.

14. In episode 2 Hiro doesn't remember his fight back in episode 1.

15. The main protagonist's mech will sometimes go berserk. 

16. Mitsuru shares the same past as Asuka (except instead of his mother it's Hiro, also he didn't forget about him just a promise he made with him)

17. Episode 19 copied some parts from episode 21 of Evangalion:

1. This episode gives all the answers to how this whole apocalypse mess started, who created the mechs and his past, some info on who the secret organization is, and sort of Rei aka 002's origins.

2. Sort of rip off Gendo aka Dr. Frank was hired by APE to help them out with improving humanity's lives and their secret alliterative motive.

3. Dr. Frank teams up and falls in love with a well known female scientist.

4. The female scientist that Frank fell in love with test out the 1st ever mech that he has created, but later on dies because of it. Bonus note: Dr. Frank lost he's humanity after his wife died.

5. Dr. Frank created 002 by combing the DNA of lilith aka the Klaxsaurian princess with human DNA (it is unknown if he used the woman that he fell in love with DNA or not. Either way my point still stands.)

18. The mechs the teens are using are actually the creatures that they have been fighting against.

In conclusion even though show had some downsides including copying some of Evan's homework I still love this anime (Mostly for their originality.) They have a pretty interesting storyline, Some pretty good characters, lovely music except for that one song in the beginning of 8, both alright and good action scenes, and an amazing artwork/animation. In the end I believe this show was technically worth the hype and if it were to win Anime of The Year, I believe I would be okay with that. If you haven't watched this show and are still curious to see if it's any good, then I really recommend you give this one a try. With that being said I'm giving Darling In The Franxx a 9/10, let me know what you think in the comments.

Bonus note 2: You wanna know what's ridiculous? There's this certain Anime News Network reviewer (not gonna say who it is) who thinks this anime and the people who made it is for right wing politics, which is absolutely absurd because it really isn't nor do the creators have any attentions of spreading that. If the person who I have a problem with happens to read this then I want you to think about this for a second. Why and when in the world would Japanese writers and directors ever want to talk about our politics. It's already bad enough were a terrible country with a lot of problems (including political issues.) I'm a 100% sure that Anime makers wants nothing to do with our politics except make references to Trump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11