• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Wotakoi is the Relatable Otaku Love Story We Need

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mojave

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I heartily agreed with most of this, but I think they missed the boat a little bit when talking about Narumi keeping her fujoshi side a bit more under wraps than Hirotaka keeps his game nerd side. On the spectrum of otaku-ness, her interest in BL is decidedly more towards the "adults-only" side of the spectrum than his interest in Monster Hunter. I'd expect him to keep his interests similarly under wraps if what he enjoyed was mainly ecchi fanservice, including him drawing hentai for a con. And there have been several references throughout the show of her referring to the sexual side of BL, so it doesn't seem weird that she would keep that under wraps compared to his decidedly more public-friendly slice of being an otaku.

On the whole though, the series really is enjoyable and adorable.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
The Kabakura/Hanako dynamic is what has stopped me from jumping in with both feet. :/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:56 pm Reply with quote
The redundancy of this column is completely out of control now. Not only does this series have weekly reviews, but you couldn't even get someone besides that very same reviewer to offer a different take on this? oO

That aside, Wotakoi is one of my favorites this season, hard on Megalobox's heels. I love all the characters to death.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The redundancy of this column is completely out of control now. Not only does this series have weekly reviews, but you couldn't even get someone besides that very same reviewer to offer a different take on this? oO

Yeah, out of the 11 entries covering shows from this season, only 2 shows (Last Period and Uma Musume) are not being covered weekly here, three if you include Aggretsuko. I'd like to see them do one on To Be Heroine. I know that at least 3 of 4 have seen the show, and it might be nice to have something highlighting it on the site, given it only premiered this past Saturday. Though perhaps they would want a few more episodes to play with.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I wish this show was relatable to me. A tedious but secure job to pay for your otaku lifestyle, and circle of friends you go drinking or play vidya with every night? Sounds like peace on Earth...

Last edited by Compelled to Reply on Wed May 23, 2018 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Sheryl Fans, please address all complaints to the dumpster, where the rest of Macross Frontier belongs.)

Man, years ago this would’ve been like a declaration of war in certain fan communities.

I adore Wotakoi so much, from the original art of the manga to the relationship dynamics between characters. Hirotaka is prob my fave character, as he’s pretty stoic but not in a “too cool for you” way. He’s more socially inept or he’d rather be playing games than make conversation. Plus, I like that he’s just as invested in the relationship as Narumi is, since he’s had a crush on her dating back to their childhood days. He isn’t cold or 100% oblivious to her affections. He’s just new to being in a relationship and is also pretty insecure about it, something that the mang has touched on and I can’t wait for the anime to get to.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
The Kabakura/Hanako dynamic is what has stopped me from jumping in with both feet. :/

Me too honestly
meiam

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Quote:
(Sheryl Fans, please address all complaints to the dumpster, where the rest of Macross Frontier belongs.)

Man, years ago this would’ve been like a declaration of war in certain fan communities.

Meh the war's been won anyway, there's just a few holdout still trying to live in fantasyland.

(and we can't put them there cause the dumbster is filled with macros 7 and delta.)
grooven

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I like this show it's really fun except the characters don't work for me. Nobody is really likable (imo)and I don't feel any chemistry between the couples. The main couple feels random and I couldn't even tell their friends were even dating at the beginning :/ I will continue watching hoping I can feel for these people or they will get some more interesting characters on board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1