• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DC Comics to Publish Batman & the Justice League Manga in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
American animation is inferior to anime overall, but manga is inferior to American comics due to the poor visuals.

That's funny. How did we ever read manga in the first place? Also, watch the salt, I can taste the Dead Sea from the sodium chloride levels I'm getting.

Also, I've kind of had enough of the BS here in the thread. I'm no mod, but I'll be Mr. Wake Up Call for many of you here.

Why many of you are wrong Evil or Very Mad : No, comics are NOT all crap. There are plenty of great series and many of them you have to look for. I am a huge Lobo fan and for many of his 4 parters and one shots, they are brilliant in their art style, dark humor, and overall pacing of writing. There are series long from the Golden Age of Comics that are brilliantly written and drawn well. There are series beyond the radar of DC and Marvel and Image that are quality stories and are great. The vampire series Crimson is one of my favorites as well. If you want one of my favorite superheroes, it would go to The Phantom, The Man Who Never Dies. The Punisher comes in a close second.

For the many of you here defending comics with the same amount of vitriol that the ignoramuses present, why are you stooping to their level, and moreover, on a place known for anime? If you want some hard truth from me, comics still have a ways to reform and redeem themselves from that absolute smoldering crater known as the 1996 Comics Crash. As much as I loathe that censorship plagued comics since the 1950s, they made Superman DYING A THING FOR A MAD GRAB FOR MONEY and they inadvertently cooperated with tyrants and facists, ie put themselves into that situation. Oh, and for every hard jab I remember seeing from every comic post the late 1990s anime rise, that's probably another nail on the coffin they have to try and pry off from the inside. But even to this day, those who aim and work in comics are doing their damnedest hardest to build back up after this. As much as I have my criticisms, I want to see them succeed.

Why some of you are right and why I am mr. Internet Ego King Righty Right Right of Always Right /sarcasm Razz :

I'm not going to lie, mainstream comics these days suffer from some serious dearth of creativity and landing the marks of what makes manga and anime great. However, it cannot be simply blamed on them simply being comics, it's more the fact that the writers lack an aspect of spirit and worldliness that the best manga usually present.

A few of my complaints lie in the factors of:

*How a country of multicultural heritage and the lead example of a developed nation since 1945, and triumphed over racism as an official societal institution lacks showing worldliness. I know that this can be kind of hard and even very subjective, but if the US can have military bases around the world, I doubt you have any excuse to not also embrace this. Even in Kingdom Come, a well renowned and critically acclaimed piece of comic history, I've seen other in universe superhero groups from around the world given stereotypes to work with.
*Continuity reboots and extending on long lasting series like a lich. I absolutely respect Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The X Men, Captain America, all of them. However, the other zoo in the room is the matter of.... Where are the new heroes? Seriously, while the former have their place in being cultural institutions and hallmarks, the only one close who comes to mind is Terry McGuinness, aka The Tomorrow Knight, Batman Beyond. And even then, that's still Batman. As for the continuity reboots? That's just a nightmare of lazy writing in its own. That's something I can't get behind.
*Story elements that don't respectfully adapt into comics form or aren't adapted in after all of this time. Why is My Hero Academia good? There's a strong respect for the inspirations that make up its series. I have yet to see that done with anything manga inspired into comics as of late.

But even in the face of all of this, even in the face of the schlock that was Marvel Mangaverse, comics can still be great. Yeah, the only thing that's keeping comics on are them being adapted into shows and movies, but much like with any desert, despite how dry and dusty and waterless it is, it's packed with nutrients and potential. And comics at least just need to be themselves, really. You should tell some of your writers they need to improve though, DC and Marvel.

We'll see how well Batman & The Justice League manga goes over.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 am Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:
Why many of you are wrong Evil or Very Mad : No, comics are NOT all crap. There are plenty of great series and many of them you have to look for. I am a huge Lobo fan and for many of his 4 parters and one shots, they are brilliant in their art style, dark humor, and overall pacing of writing. There are series long from the Golden Age of Comics that are brilliantly written and drawn well. There are series beyond the radar of DC and Marvel and Image that are quality stories and are great. The vampire series Crimson is one of my favorites as well. If you want one of my favorite superheroes, it would go to The Phantom, The Man Who Never Dies. The Punisher comes in a close second.

If this were even 15 years ago, I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but being old enough to see how the industry has warped and shifted over the years, I can't. We can look at the Golden age, Silver age, Bronze age, even the Modern age with nostalgia glasses, but if we're talking about comics within the last turn of the century, it's just a wasteland. Most of the good writers and artists are gone, either passed away, shunned for political views, or merely don't work in the industry anymore because it's almost impossible to be a comic writer or artist these days and not need a second or even third job to support yourself because the industry has shrunk so much that the pay is meager; even at big companies like Marvel and DC. Now, the talent is mostly made up of amateur internet artists and writers/bloggers because they're the only people who will work for such low pay.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
TheAnimeRevolutionizer wrote:

they made Superman DYING A THING FOR A MAD GRAB FOR MONEY and

I was the under the pretense that people taking votes to determine the fate of a teenage superhero was far more of a problem then killing off Superman as the latter was not a blatant indictment of the petty and somewhat bloodthirsty nature of our society.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2