• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Steam Giveth and Steam Taketh Away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
About time we got a sweet KHIII trailer with audible English voices. Disney characters don't sound right in Japanese.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Yakuza remastered are fine and dandy.

Waiting on Hokuto Ga Gokuto myself. I mean Koei released both Ken’s Rage games here and they sold, and it’s not like they would redub it anyway.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems like there is more and more reason to avoid Steam and just go directly to the game makers to make a purchase. I would guess Valve would argue that the sexual content/nudity in those bigger games makes up a minor portion of the overall game compared to the ones being singled out, but it's hard not to see a pattern here. A lot of these games were already sold on Steam in edited form and you had to go to the publisher to get a patch for adult content, then Steam decided that it wasn't ok for the publishers to advertise that. Now they are re-evaluating already edited games?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
We will see increasing demands for censorship since an increasing number of people think that if something offends them than it shouldn't exist. Inclusion is the 21st century word for censorship and regardless of what it is called the fundamental concept behind it is the same. Considering that we have seen this happen with Crunchyroll last month and Valve this month it will be interesting to see what else happens this year.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
DOA characters can run around topless (with $24.99 DLC, what a reward ladies and gentlemen) so I guess KOEI TECMO gets a big blowjob from VALVE for generating all that revenue.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad they announced the Yakuza remasters, my PS3 gave up the ghost (playing Blu Rays at least) long ago and I don't really want to pay for another PS3 just for them (and a few other games). I really hope they are announced for the West and I am sure they will be.

Gal Metal looks like fun as well, I remember seeing a vid of Marty Friedman playing it a while back and it looked great.

Also nice cat, she looks adorable.

gridsleep wrote:
DOA characters can run around topless (with $24.99 DLC, what a reward ladies and gentlemen).

Wait wait, what? I don't do Steam or any PC gaming but is that an actual DLC for the girls (since men can show the nipple all they like anyway)? If so I would happily pay that for Helena alone.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
About time we got a sweet KHIII trailer with audible English voices. Disney characters don't sound right in Japanese.

To be fair Donald who is a legacy character doesn't sound right in english.

Chrono1000 wrote:
We will see increasing demands for censorship since an increasing number of people think that if something offends them than it shouldn't exist. Inclusion is the 21st century word for censorship.

I'm pretty sure that "exclusion" is the word you're looking for as inclusion isn't typically synoymous with censorship but is more often than not associated with revisionism which most sane and rational people don't support.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah it really sucks that Valve was so underhanded with this.
IMO as long as games are appropriately tagged and there's a system in place to restrict content to the appropriate ages devs should be allowed to create what they want.
I suppose you could argue that a child with enough knowhow could get around it, but the problem there lies with the child and not the provider, no?
If there's a huge disclaimer that says for mature audiences 17+ and a kid reads it and ignores it that's on the child and parent

Anyway I'll only believe KH3 exists when I actually hold a physical copy in my hands.
I've been lied to about the release date of it and baited with remakes, prequels, pre-sequel-remakes for almost a decade. Until then the KH3 release date is 3113.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:
gridsleep wrote:
DOA characters can run around topless (with $24.99 DLC, what a reward ladies and gentlemen).

Wait wait, what? I don't do Steam or any PC gaming but is that an actual DLC for the girls (since men can show the nipple all they like anyway)? If so I would happily pay that for Helena alone.

Yeah, not really, the person mentioning the $25 DLC which I assume is the pre-purchase set that has some characters in the "Aloha" outfit. (Which has them in a flower wreath around the top. I really don't see that as fully topless, outside of mods, obviously.)

But yeah, anyways, still also waiting on the possible Yakuza/FotNS English version. And yeah, the problems the companies lately having to deal with their titles and adult content on Steam, hopefully that gets fully settled, even though they are, for now.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
I'm pretty sure that "exclusion" is the word you're looking for as inclusion isn't typically synoymous with censorship but is more often than not associated with revisionism which most sane and rational people don't support.
I have seen many people on the internet make the argument that fanservice needs to be removed from games to make them more inclusive. I have occasionally seen other words used such as when Crunchyroll censored the DanMachi Memoria Freese game by saying that it needed to be appropriate for English audiences.

Last edited by Chrono1000 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the Steam thing might've just been one rogue employee making decisions he or she wasn't authorized to make, perhaps against some games he or she didn't like, which is why it was inconsistent and Steam was quick to correct it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
Yeah it really sucks that Valve was so underhanded with this.
IMO as long as games are appropriately tagged and there's a system in place to restrict content to the appropriate ages devs should be allowed to create what they want.
I suppose you could argue that a child with enough knowhow could get around it, but the problem there lies with the child and not the provider, no?
If there's a huge disclaimer that says for mature audiences 17+ and a kid reads it and ignores it that's on the child and parent

Anyway I'll only believe KH3 exists when I actually hold a physical copy in my hands.
I've been lied to about the release date of it and baited with remakes, prequels, pre-sequel-remakes for almost a decade. Until then the KH3 release date is 3113.

I'd hate to be the ones who told you the wrong date. As of today, Square has only ever said the release date would be this year.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
To be fair Donald who is a legacy character doesn't sound right in english.

Donald's English voice is sweet music to the ears of all babies, what are you going on about? XD
Sulfy

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:43 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I feel like the Steam thing might've just been one rogue employee making decisions he or she wasn't authorized to make, perhaps against some games he or she didn't like, which is why it was inconsistent and Steam was quick to correct it.

While I am inclined to agree, would it have been that bad* for Valve to simply say there was an error, they regret what happened and throw in some PR about the freedom of having these games on their storefront?

As Heidi points out, the developers got a follow-up email saying "we're going to re-review your content and if there are any concerns, we'll let you know". It still feels like they're walking on a tight rope that just got thinner.

In any case, definitely looking forward to Gal Metal. Didn't get into Guitar Hero/Rock Band back in the day, and the Taiko Drum Master series is mostly overseas, so this definitely fills a void I never knew I had.

*maybe it would've been. I wouldn't call Valve a very humble company after all.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

At the very least it shows why Steam's overly large presence in the PC market isn't a good thing. This is just the latest in a succession of incidents where odd decisions have been made with Steam or Valve shows they have a severe lack of awarness. This whole fiasco also caused a lot of visual novel companies to start selling their titles on GoG.com, meaning Valve just angered a lot of potential partners and customers. It's infuriating and Valve needs to stop this.

Anyway, pretty slow game week aside from the release of Curse of the Moon. Also the announcement of the Valkyria Chronicles 4 limited edition with a statue of the game's tank.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2