• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer Earns 7.2 Billion Yen, Becomes Highest-Grossing Film in Fra

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 am Reply with quote
Yet, Funimation still couldn't make it sell over here. Sorry still sore over that license expiring.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
Wow, 6th consecutive film in the franchise to break a new sales record. That's pretty awesome.
Rene&Mae

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Since Funimation thoroughly botched introducing Detective Conan to American audiences when they first licensed the series, (the series was a victim of the times in which it was released, sadly), I wish that some other distributor would now pick up the series and give it a chance again! Yes, there are a lot of episodes, so what? In past generations, popular television series ran for decades, not just for a season or two. But a new company could always try a limited approach, to test American audiences.

If they just put together a series of box sets that had plot-centric stories in them, milestone cases, points in the series that introduced new characters, etc., then it would bring new fans into the series. If there was enough interest, then they could produce the older seasons in full. Many of the older, classic episodes have been remade with modern animation. It's too bad a new distribution company couldn't license those, to use to re-launch the series. I myself don't mind the classic look of the anime's early seasons, but some younger fans may find it looking dated, and pass on trying it, which is such a shame. Detective Conan is one of my all-time favorite anime series! And seeing as the newest movie has stayed on top of the box office in Japan for 6 weeks, I'd say the series deserves to be seen in the U.S., properly!
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
Rene&Mae wrote:
a lot

As the landmark song in Japan's favourite CG anime suggested: let it go.

Conan is one of the few properties I know that seems to have gotten no noticeable increase in western popularity despite an ongoing simulcast. Bar a complete relaunch of the anime and it debuting on Netflix, I don't think the series will ever obtain a sizable English fandom.

It's telling that TMS' best friend Discotek, a boutique anime publisher, won't even commit to something like the movies unless Lupin's in them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside Funimation's handling of the series, I doubt Case Closed was ever going to sell in the US. American kids like supernatural action shows like Pokemon and Naruto and the show probably has limited appeal to older otaku that like the more dark and edgy stuff like Devilman Crybaby or Made in Abyss that are the real heavy hitters for anime fans. The best we could hope for is maybe Crunchyroll can renegotiate for streaming rights for the older episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1