• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FRANXXly my Darling, I Don't Give A Damn

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Darling in the Franxx is about....

Don't bother. If you cannot/didn't tell by the title of the cast, they don't care.
You can try and say whatever you want about how their views are warped, but their minds are cemented already.

While i commend those who have opinions here it's ultimately not worth it to bring up any of the shows setup or writing that works to show faults with the logical jumps people have made to label this show as a socio-political propaganda.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Maybe the Japanese have a different dynamic and meaning to those terms and parties.

They definitely do! For example, the Japanese Liberal Democrats are very much against gay marriage... and the fact that they are the governing party in Japan right now makes the show even more disconcerting to people who have a vested interest in whether the media they consume portrays their marriages as "unnatural".
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Don't bother. If you cannot/didn't tell by the title of the cast, they don't care.
You can try and say whatever you want about how their views are warped, but their minds are cemented already.

While i commend those who have opinions here it's ultimately not worth it to bring up any of the shows setup or writing that works to show faults with the logical jumps people have made to label this show as a socio-political propaganda.

I agree that the ANN folks haven't shown much interest in dialogue, but that's fine. There's usually a few people interested in conversation on the boards --- doesn't have to be ANN staff.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Right on, more upper middle-class white Americans getting mad and projecting American politics onto a cartoon made by a country that has nothing to do with the worldviews America has.

Darling in the Franxx has a fair amount of problems, in fact a lot of problems, but the show isn't even done yet and it's a little extreme to say it's propaganda.

Why not just wait it out before giving full judgement?

I also have to wonder if the writers and animators of the show are confused and anxious because a bunch of westerners are saying their series is doing something wrong on a moral level.

Don't you think its a little pathetic to be saying this when the show is 18 episodes in?
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:
Darling in the Franxx is about....

Both of your opinions are in no ways more accurate than the writers on this site and I find it laughable that the fanbase have the gall to say this after making complete fools of yourselves during the "#bitchigo" debacle. You call people's views of the show warped while you're getting so invested in a cringey robot show to harass people on twitter over it. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tirol Choco on Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
The harassment of ANN staff on social media over the disagreements about FranXX is pretty gross, yeah. I don't really understand why people do shit like that.

Just finishing up the last little bit of the podcast (around 55:00), and the "berserker mode" thing came up: the casters suggest this is a representation of a woman being 'baby crazy' but without a man to help her fulfill that purpose.

I think this is again not a very coherent reading, though. 02 is the most prominent (only?) character to engage in berserker mode, and she does it regularly when paired with male copilots. Hence, Berserk FranXX don't seem to be about baby-making at all, but instead about the quality of the relationship within which the baby-making takes place, since only when paired with her "true love" (the admittedly dull Hiro) does 02 not go crazy while piloting.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't you think its a little pathetic to be saying this when the show is 18 episodes in?

Not really, there's a lot of highly-ambitious high-concept shows that you can't understand the full scope of until you've seen all of it. A lot can happen in six episodes, especially if it's the last six. The final half is when the show solidifies it's conclusions and what it's trying to say. Not only that, there's a lot that can't be understood about a show sometimes until it's rewatched or looked back on for a full analysis.

Some examples include Serial Experiments Lain, Psycho-Pass, FLCL and Akira.

Also, was it really necessary to say that what I said is pathetic? You couldn't use any nicer vocabulary when an interesting and intelligent discussion is being had?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't FLCL only like 6 episodes long, period? Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I fear actually watching this, because I suspect with a title like "FRANXXly my Darling, I Don't Give A Damn", they are going to give a very specific interpretation of the show, that reads way too much into certain things, but totally ignores others. Interpretation that the show demonizes not straight world views, while ignoring a very fair portrayal of a gay character among the main cast, and real themes have been about freedom of things like sexuality, that even people who might have a hard time sympathising with such.

I thought ANN was open minded, but it feels like it has set itself so much on supposed rules of what it means to be progressive, that it is actively looking for outrage, and attacks where there is none. Calling the show propaganda against the left, while I could just as much see an accusation of it being propaganda supporting the left by a focus on sexual freedom, a gay character who is treated normally, and framing that belittles things like nationalism where one is expected to lay down their life for a government that just sees them as pawns. I will assume that none of this is brought up in favour of leaders who seem to want control over the people by supressing gender.

Someone above mentioned something about voting rights of woman. But the leader of their group is a woman, members of the APE council seem to be women, the leader of the Klaxosaurs that seem to have been victimized is a woman, and one of the most emotional parts of the show was a tragedy of a girl having any rights.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:

Not really, there's a lot of highly-ambitious high-concept shows that you can't understand the full scope of until you've seen all of it. A lot can happen in six episodes, especially if it's the last six.

I wouldn't call Franxx a "highly-ambitious high-concept" show at all. Also to say that the final stretch can systematically change what is essentially 18 episodes of garbage is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:

All those you can pretty much get down what its trying to convey in 3 episodes tops, hell Psycho Pass is a bad example since it pretty much goes over whats its about in the first episode.

Quote:
Also, was it really necessary to say that what I said is pathetic? You couldn't use any nicer vocabulary when an interesting and intelligent discussion is being had?

There's nothing intelligent making execuses for a show 18 episodes in with 6 episodes left. It is really pathetic.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Yeah, but my point is you really needed to see all of it and look back on all of it to fully understand what it was trying to say.
MiiyoSon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
The harassment of ANN staff on social media over the disagreements about FranXX is pretty gross, yeah. I don't really understand why people do shit like that.

Just finishing up the last little bit of the podcast (around 55:00), and the "berserker mode" thing came up: the casters suggest this is a representation of a woman being 'baby crazy' but without a man to help her fulfill that purpose.

I think this is again not a very coherent reading, though. 02 is the most prominent (only?) character to engage in berserker mode, and she does it regularly when paired with male copilots. Hence, Berserk FranXX don't seem to be about baby-making at all, but instead about the quality of the relationship within which the baby-making takes place, since only when paired with her "true love" (the admittedly dull Hiro) does 02 not go crazy while piloting.

Jacob then explains that the Berserk mode is meant to represent how the woman gives the man purpose while the man gives the woman purpose (around 55:35). I think that was more Zac just being snarky.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:

Yes I'm not sure what he's talking about. The show is pretty explicit about it being a metaphor for puberty and growing up from the get go.
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:
Grimvice wrote:

Not really, there's a lot of highly-ambitious high-concept shows that you can't understand the full scope of until you've seen all of it. A lot can happen in six episodes, especially if it's the last six.

I wouldn't call Franxx a "highly-ambitious high-concept" show at all. Also to say that the final stretch can systematically change what is essentially 18 episodes of garbage is pretty ridiculous.

Quote:

All those you can pretty much get down what its trying to convey in 3 episodes tops, hell Psycho Pass is a bad example since it pretty much goes over whats its about in the first episode.

Quote:

There's nothing intelligent making execuses for a show 18 episodes in with 6 episodes left. It is really pathetic.

You know what Darling in the Franxx is about in the first episode too, humans who pilot as pairs in mechs fighting monsters called klaxosaurs.

What I mean by what the show is about is what the show is trying to convey, which you necessarily can't get the full picture of until you see all of it. I'm not making excuses for DitF or ignoring it's faults, but it's not so bad as you claim it.

With Psycho-Pass, you are presented with a world that slowly gives you new information about it, then it's in its final episodes that you understand what it's trying to say about the world and concepts it presented.

And come on man, there's no need to call someone unintelligent or pathetic just because you perceive them as such, I'm not trying to make excuses for this whatever show, so don't make excuses for being a dick.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
MiiyoSon wrote:
Jacob then explains that the Berserk mode is meant to represent how the woman gives the man purpose while the man gives the woman purpose (around 55:35). I think that was more Zac just being snarky.

Mmm, but this comment came on the heels of the baby-making comments, and earlier in the show they had remarked on Mitsuru pairing off with Kokoro not because they think it makes him happy but because it's "doing his duty." From that I took that Zac didn't think the 'berserk mode' metaphor had anything to do with (procreation in the context of) a respectful relationship between well-suited partners (as opposed to simply any old man giving any old woman purpose), but was entirely about a woman's 'biological clock' screaming to the heavens (and just needing some dude, any fertile dude to come "give her purpose"). Could certainly be wrong, but it didn't read as mere snark to me, just a snarky expression of ideas he'd already expressed.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Fri May 25, 2018 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 15