• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Grand Blue Dreaming Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals July 13 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe_g7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
This PV actually gives me hope that Zero-G might nail it after all.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote
Yay, Amazon!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Man, Amazon is really messing with local anime distributors. This will take forever to get licensed. I wish Amazon at least put in the effort to dub their properties like Netflix does.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
Why are the guys wearing boxer shorts? They should be buck naked! This is an unacceptable deviation from the source material.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Man, Amazon is really messing with local anime distributors. This will take forever to get licensed. I wish Amazon at least put in the effort to dub their properties like Netflix does.

I don't think it affects things. CR released the Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress movie in theaters very quickly and Funimation released the TV blurays quickly after Japanese release (although they are slower with others) Then look at the boat load of Sentai titles which Amazon streamed (Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, Girl's Last Tour, etc) Justin already mentioned that these services don't care and don't want to deal with the home video licenses.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

I don't think it affects things. CR released the Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress movie in theaters very quickly and Funimation released the TV blurays quickly after Japanese release (although they are slower with others) Then look at the boat load of Sentai titles which Amazon streamed (Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, Girl's Last Tour, etc) Justin already mentioned that these services don't care and don't want to deal with the home video licenses.

This affects more things than I th ink you realize. They kabeneri blue rays were longer than normal for Funimation standards compared to when it first aired.

The fact that Amazon doesn't care much about dubs still pisses me off
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

The Japanese bluray release was nearly 18 months after the first JP release. Compare that to Funi’s release of Attack on Titan Season 2, which was just 8 months after the JP.
Also, your examples of MiA, Lustrous, etc, don’t really count, as they were announced months before airing date that Sentai had already licensed them. Amazon was simply the medium through which Sentai streamed them (in the US). Sentai’s acquisition of Scum’s Wish would’ve been a good example, and they will be releasing that far faster than Funi did with Kabaneri.
Finally, I know that Amazon/Netflix don’t care about physical releases, but I admitted that Netflix at least goes through the trouble of dubbing their properties in multiple languages, but Amazon just doesn’t care.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
configspace wrote:

The Japanese bluray release was nearly 18 months after the first JP release. Compare that to Funi’s release of Attack on Titan Season 2, which was just 8 months after the JP.
Also, your examples of MiA, Lustrous, etc, don’t really count, as they were announced months before airing date that Sentai had already licensed them. Amazon was simply the medium through which Sentai streamed them (in the US). Sentai’s acquisition of Scum’s Wish would’ve been a good example, and they will be releasing that far faster than Funi did with Kabaneri.
Finally, I know that Amazon/Netflix don’t care about physical releases, but I admitted that Netflix at least goes through the trouble of dubbing their properties in multiple languages, but Amazon just doesn’t care.

All of that is within the standard time frame of Funi/Sentai releases of around 1 year (i.e. +/1 a couple montsh) sometimes close to 2 years after for some that are NOT Amazon titles. And if what you said is true, that Amazon streaming licenses delays home video releases then why don't they also interfere with the ones Sentai licenses? Why are they the exception when they account for the majority of their recent licenses? In other words, if Amazon really wanted to block home video releases, why would they bother sub-licensing from Sentai?

Scum's Wish announced quite a bit after Amazon's stream is still coming in the standard 1 year after JP bluray (JP last vol: August 30, 2017, US sentai release: Sep 25, 2018), so even with titles where Amazon licenses from Japan (Noitamina) and not from Sentai, there's still no delay.

Going back to my point of this being the standard time frame, there are still many titles since the CR+Funi partnership where Funimation agreed to release the CR shows on BD/DVD from that point that still have home video announcement, like Schwarzesmarken, Classroom Crisis, Terraformars S2 (on CR, licensed by Viz, last JP BD in Dec. 2016 and no sign of BD by Viz yet) or the ever so popular Kuroko's Basketball. Basically there's no pattern at all that proves Amazon delays home video licensing or releases beyond the norm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1